For a few months now I have been having issues breathing.  I don't have issues with my lungs but my throat and it very restricted.  The issue is on the left side of my throat and feels like there is a constant pressure on that side in my throat.  I have very restricted breathing and will stop breathing for short moments.  When this happens I try to swallow (which it takes me a few attempts to do) then my airway opens back up and this happens quite frequently.  I notice when I push on the left side of my throat at the very top of my neck I can make it happen. I notice when I touch this area its slightly tender to touch but there is no real pain there or anywhere in my throat.  I have had a xray done of my neck and chest and they keep saying that its asthma (even thought I passed the asthma test) but inhalers make no difference.  It is really bad at night when I lay down and I have been tested and was negative for apnea.  It is getting worse and I find I am constantly trying to swallow to keep the air going.  My swallowing is also getting worse to the point that it feels like I can't swallow and get stuck about half way through, it will take a few attempts to get the full swallow through.  I have no issues with anxiety or panic attacks of any sort. I have smoked most of my whole life but quit a few weeks ago due to this scare.  I am not sure what tests I should make my doctor due, but not much has been done other than the xrays, apnea tests, and checking my thyroid(which were all negative).  Any ideas or advice I can get on this would be greatly appreciated so I could have some direction to go on my next doctor visit.  Thank you. 

have you checked the thyroid? could be many things. have docs ever thought it might be cancer?

most likely its asthma, but could indeed be something else. Also have you ever heard of panic attacks? could you be a victim of one?

batmannu wrote:

larch wrote:

My thyroid has been checked and was negative. I was checked for asthma and was negative. If it was cancer, wouldn't it show up in a xray? I am not coughing blood or anything. The only my doctor has notice is my left lymph in my neck is slightly swollen, but she said its not enough to cause problems with my breathing. As for panic attacks, I have never really had them. Also it doesn't really come and go, it is pretty constant.
Thank you for your reply

I know exactly how u feel...all tests are negative and i have the right side swollen...i had an iodine test and its moderately low. Get your iodine checked thru a urine test.  I know its so annoying and makes me moody cos i cant swallow. dont u hate it when the docs dont believe u!!?