My wife had cervical spine surgery in 2002 with (2) Sulzer BAK/C implants. She's been battling pain ever since. We received second opinion last week and new doctor is confident that fusion is not taking place. After surgery and she took Advil and Vioxx regularly….the thing is she stopped smoking 6 months ago, but just quit the Vioxx and Advil this week, after meeting with this new doctor. He said that there's a chance that fusion will now take place now that she's quit Vioxx, Advil, and smoking. My question is: what are her options?

My husband is a doctor so I asked him question what he thinks about this case. He thinks that is better that she have what is known as a delayed union instead of a nonunion and the difference being that the delayed union may heal with time. Now that she is off the anti-inflammatory meds and nicotine, it very well may heal. However, at one year out from surgery the chances are less than they would have been immediately after cervical surgery.