My dog Hugo has been acting very strange lately. Ever since I adopted this little kitty I found on the street , he started ignoring me. He seems a bit sad. Sometimes he refuses to eat or he eats only when the kitten is near him. It’s like he’s scared that the kitty will eat all of his food. 

I don’t recall anything unusual happening to him, so I cannot explain his behavior. He doesn’t want to play with his toys in the house anymore. But strangely, when we go out he seems perfectly fine.In the house he seems sad.

Is it possible that he is about to become depressed?  What can I do to prevent it?

There are so many ways why your dog can be depressed. You can prevent it, of course. First, you dog can be depressed because of incomplete love. I am not saying that you don’t love him, but maybe he is feeling different. Those are pets that need to have a lot of attention. Second, you might think that you are treating your pet right, but that maybe is not so true. Change some daily activities, don’t repeat them every single day. Maybe your dog needs more physical activities?  Also, dogs can be depressed because of boring, daily routine. Change something, change some games and routines. 

That kitty is definitely his only problem. :D He is just used to get all the attention, and now when you have a new pet around he is feeling left out. Especially if you pay more attention to the kitty since it is young  and therefore needs more care than a senior dog. His condition could lead to depression. He feels insecure and that can escalate very quickly if you don’t stop it. Play with him as much as you can. Try to spend more time with him both inside and outside the house. I really hope that this will help.

Congratulations! You got yourself a case of dog’s jealousy. Sorry, I mean depression. “wink-wink”

My experience is based on several cases of introducing new dog to the dog you already own, and I think there are many similarities between your case and mine.

First, you need to make a proper introduction (it’s too late for that now, but we are talking about prevention). The old and new pet(s) need to see, smell and play with each other. You need to make strong boundaries between their spaces, to feed them at same time, pet them immediately one after another. And, the most important is that you need to spend a little more time with the old dog than before. He needs to know that you still care for him. 

I agree with you completely.

This dog now acts like a kid who got a little brother/sister and instinctively feels that he/she will get more attention. That’s why your dog is depressed.

Buy him a new toy, make him his favorite treats more often, take him in a walk several times per day and spend with him more time in overall. It will need some time, but finally, your dog will stop being depressed and get used to a new family member.

You can even try to involve them in a mutual game, but not yet. Wait a little more to see what will happen.

You have one really, but REALLY jealous dog :) I know this, because those are the main symptoms of my dog as well, when I got another dog for my family. I know what my mistake was – I was more with the new dog, I was playing with him more, since I was thinking that he is new and that he needs more attention. But, that was mistake, because my other dog was feeling sad. I know that, when I notice this, one day I just didn’t pay attention so much at the new dog. And, because this dog was really boring, he started to play with my first dog. Since then everything is OK. They are good friends :)

Hello there. I see everyone is sure that your Hugo is jealous because of the kitty and that is the reason he is acting strange. I am not so sure that jealousy is the main reason. You see, depression is not rare at all in dogs. I am not sure but I think that the ratio of depressed people and depressed dogs is equal.

There are some things you should do to prevent depression. First of all, almost every day walk with your dog for at least an hour (outside of the city). Also, try to feed him just with his favorite foods. Finally, don’t yell at him before he comes out of a depression.

Hello. I remember that I was talking with my friend about this. Her dog was so depressed as well, because she bought a turtle as well. He was curious at the beginning, but later he started to be sad and depressed. She needed to give this turtle to her younger sister, because she didn’t know how to cure his depression. After this, her dog was happy. You just don’t need to pay so much attention on the new pet, and I believe that everything will be ok. Those are definitely first signs of jealousy :)

Good luck with it, I hope that everything will be just fine. 

Well, I am not telling that Hugo is 100% jealous and that he is acting strange because of that. There are a lot of other factors that can affect his behavior. There are some cases from my friends’ dogs that also seemed depressed but they were sick instead.

To sum up, I can’t guarantee that your dog is jealous but from my own experience I can tell you that dogs tend to act strange when they aren’t the main object of your attention. To prevent this just try spending more time with him and everything will be ok with him. ;)