Hello everyone,

I recently found out, completely unintentionally, that my family has a history of heart diseases and heart conditions.

I was talking to my grandma and at one point she was like "Well, your grandpa had some heart problems..." and when I asked about it, she told me that his dad had heart problems as well so it kind of runs in the family. When I asked her what heart problems, she told me they both had heart failure.

Now I wanted to ask you guys what are the best lifestyle changes in order to prevent heart failure, since I might be prone to having it?

Hey Health n Joy,

Well, there sure are some things that you might do, they are healthy for you and your entire body, so you can do them regardless of are you trying to prevent heart failure or not.

The most important thing is that you stop smoking. Each puff of nicotine from tobacco smoke temporarily increases heart rate and blood pressure, even as less oxygen-rich blood circulates through the body. Smoking also leads to clumping or stickiness in the blood vessels feeding the heart. People who quit smoking are more likely to have their heart failure symptoms improve. That would be a good start.

Good day you two.

Lifestyle changes that you are making can help you a lot to prevent heart failures. Now, maybe it sound simple for you but trust me, it is not. I have tried so many times to make some changes in my life but very often I was giving up on them. Of course, until I really started to have huge problems with my heart. Well, that was the day when I decided to make some changes that can improve the quality of my life. First thing that you really need to do is to stop smoking. Also, you need to reduce the food that is high in cholesterol and choose the good nutrition. It is very important to be physically active every day and to maintain some normal weight, that won’t affect your health.

I agree with all of you. When I was diagnosed with heart failure I needed to change my lifestyle completely. I am really sorry because back than it was too late since I was already diagnosed with it. Anyway, it is very important to change your lifestyle, no matter do you have any chances of getting heart attack or not. If you are overweight, you need to lose your weight to avoid some further health problems. Also, it is very important to be active - body exercises and brain exercises. If you don't know how to exercise your brain find some good games on the internet. They are very helpful.

Well, I am a bit overweight but not too much, it's really not a big deal (I'm not lying about my weight). However, to stop smoking will probably be the hardest thing I've ever tried to do. I tried it two times already and it didn't work out. Does anyone have any advice regarding leaving cigarettes, how to make it easier?

I also eat a lot of fast food, I'm guessing that isn't good either? This all makes me think that I'm more prone to heart failure than I ever thought I'd be, and I don't like these things that I'm finding out.

I got a good way to get rid of cigarettes. Also, if you are planning to leave cigarettes, you can leave them at my place.

So cigarettes are a kind of an addiction, right, so the way I see, the best way to do this is to change this addiction with addiction towards something else, something harmless. How about peanuts? I'm not joking, seriously, whenever you want to light up a cigarette, take some peanuts instead. I assure you that this theory works like charmed. I also used peanuts here just as an example because I love them, you can go ahead with anything else that you like (and isn't harmful).

That sounds like an awesome idea to me, johnny, I'm going to try it and see what happens, I've been having trouble myself leaving cigarettes. I'll leave them at your place as well, that's a good one.

Fast food is definitely not heart healthy food, Health n Joy, you need to quit that. Basically, if you are doing whatever it takes to prevent heart failure, that means that you are going to be living a healthier life than probably 90% or even more of the people living on this planet. Doesn't that sound awesome? Keep your body healthy and it will show you its gratitude.

Hello there. My wife needed to change her lifestyle completely when she was diagnosed with certain heart problems. Before it she was eating all those foods that she shouldn't eat, she was drinking sodas and she was eating all those chips and cookies as well. But when she changed her lifestyle totally she started to feel much better and she was OK. Of course, she is still dealing with heart issues but her doctor told her that he can see some good changes on the heart. So, why not? I believe that it is recommended for everyone to try it.

Good day there. I totally have to tell you that good and positive attitude are also extremely helpful in the prevention of heart failure. If you are doing all those things such as finding a new diet program, exercising, eating proper food and respecting all of those rules without positive attitude, you have nothing. So, make a list of those things that you need to cut out from your life, find the best formula that can help you in your life and I am sure that results will come. I know because I did this and I am feeling much better. Good luck.