Ok so I recently went through a bad break-up, and since then things have gotten worse. I never had anxiety problems or panic attacks until a couple months into the relationship. I feel like I can't breathe, and gasping for breath often, my chest hurts, heart feels like it's pounding out of my chest or it just hurts at times. I feel sick to my stomach and at times dizzy. The smell of pretty much everything makes me want to puke. I have had a major loss of appetite, and even when I do eat I feel sick to my stomach. Doesn't help with getting sick recently either. I don't know what's going on. And think I should see my doctor. Just wanted some opinions first

Hello Noel... Breakups can really put people through the wringer and can take some a long time to feel "normal" again.  You may want to see a psychologist just to talk about your feelings and make sense of them.  If he thinks you need medication, he can refer you to a psychiatrist to take something for your anxiety or depression.  You don't have to take the meds indefinitely.  Just until you feel you can move on in your life and feel strong enough to do so.  Good luck!

What has others done to help themselves through a horrendous breakup that has left you full of anxiety and unable to cope?

It helps if you understand the human instinct towards relationships . Instinct dictates we find new partners . You believed the fairytale bs that society and religion sell . It would've helped if you knew the truth going in . So you are not a victim. You are not unloveable . You are just going through some changes . Change what you have been taught by Disney and the church . There is no happily ever after and there is no "death til we part. Change in a relationship happens due to animal instinct . People change . Wives and husbands change . What was , yesterday , is gone today . Imagine being in a war zone . Everything you valued was destroyed and you escaped with your life . Start the rebuilding today . You can't go back ,because it doesn't exist , you can only plan for the future because all we really have is this moment . On your death bed or in the last minutes of life ,you will realize none of this drama mattered anyway . Anxiety ,depression,fear of loss ,ego, all do not exist as truths . We only have the moment . Make the best of it . Spend your life, living . Death will come soon enough. When I look at the suffering in the world ,my own seems very very small. Go help someone who is worse off that you .