Ive searched on this site but could not find a definite answer.

I stopped cold turkey a few months ago after getting drunk almost everyday for a year or more(I am 26 now but have been drinking since 16, not heavily though) And by drunk everyday I mean at least 10-11 beers each time. That first time I stopped I couldnt sleep, I was seeing things move, I got headaches, etc.

I started again maybe a month after that, but not drinking daily. A few weeks afterwards though I was back to getting drunk everyday again for maybe a month or so, I recently stopped and Ive been getting horrible panic attacks and anxiety. at first I thought it was my stomach that caused them but I was also feeling nauseous at the same time. i havent drank for more than 48 hours now and I was feeling shakey and nervous almost all day(with no appetite), and my palms were sweaty.

is all this cause from alcohol withdrawal? if so I hope they go away pretty soon, im a very social and active person and this is affecting that.

thanks for your time.

probably one of the top withdrawel effect most ppl get and ive been there too lol,ive been a heavy drinker since i was bout 20 yrs old im now 35 and its taken me 6 yrs to learn that all my symptoms of anxiety stem from just alcohol abuse,ive lost count the times ive gave in and had a drink just to stop anxiety/panic attacks,i gave up last june and i rode the withdrawels out and they stopped well i say stopped they came occasionally but they didnt start into a full blown attack...from my experiences the attacks usually came if i had spicy food causing me to ask doc if it could b an internal stomach reaction to which he agreed the damage from beer will take awhile to repair ....stomach acid is a very potent chemical and if u hav ulcers etc i think the link could b there well anyway i personally think that... i found a herbal remedy called quiet life by lanes pretty useful and more importantly non addictive, i hope u find this helpful any questions u wanna ask ill gladly help if i can

My Name is Eve. My ex fiance is actually going through his first hopefully 3 months of sobriety. Is relapsing within the first year in the program something to be expected? And if so what are the possible reasons for this?

Thanks, I appreciate it, Eve

hey carmichael thanks for the reply. well my anxiety and nervousness went away after a week....BUT I drank again on a thurs - maybe 4 beers, then drank a few strong margaritas on sat. and about the same amount in mixed drinks and wine on sunday. I think I am going through it all over again. Is this possible? I feel exactly the same as I did when I originally posted. High amounts of anxiety which leads to crazy thoughts and panic.

I've suffered from the same problem. I had an anxiety attack whilst on holiday after drinking a bottle of wine and a litre of beer. The raise in heart rate lasted for 12 hours. Since then I tried to avoid anything stonger than beer which works for me.

I've found that exercise helps greatly and if I overdo it one night then getting straight on the running machine / exercise bike the next morning I can get away with it - i really overdid it one night and it took 4 hours of walking to calm down but it wasnt too scary whilst actually exercising and a lot of it I did at walking pace whilst watching TV. I since avoid anything greater than 4pc alcolhol and always drinking plenty of water before bed and during the night.

I am keeping a record now of the number of days in a row I can keep to my exercise schedule - I now exercise 6 times a week over 50 days in a row now. This gives you a level of fitness that makes you more resilient to raises in anxiety. I think a lot of people could be virtually cured like me by become this fit.

I have also found caffeine can effect me - I find its good to be caffeine fit by having a couple of teas on a weekday - avoiding altogether for me makes me more sensitive to it and the mild amounts in chocolate (avoid chocolate near bedtime).

Salt can also effect hypertension so should be avoided (peanuts in pubs etc).

Chillies / spices raise your metabolism - I treat them like tea - I eat them to raise my resilence to anxiety - I avoid them at times I might be effected because of drinking etc.

I have suffered anxiety attacks from alcohol withdrawal (I drank moderate to heavy from age 18 to age 24 before I began to notice this). I then began to taper off the drinking, but it was only by finally stopping that I have had relief from anxiety attacks.

I believe in my case that my brain became hard-wired, so as a result I now cannot drink any alcohol. I am so sensitive to alcohol I can notice now even alcohol in Xmas puddings, chocolates etc., so I just avoid them.

I also do not drink any caffeine at all - that quickly triggers anxiety attacks.

My body is so sensitive now to chemicals that I do not to eat any food with e´s. (preservatives and coloring) I shop for myself, eating fresh fruit & vegetables, meat, fish and chicken etc.

And guess what I have had a great life since. It´s awkward sometimes socially, but I have control over my anxiety in this regard.

I hope this can help just one person.

8-|
I have the same problem. I had a bad break up about 6 years ago and not only did I drink more, I gained about 45 pounds. I didn't care. I felt like the man, the only man, i would ever feel that way about had let me down so what did I have to look forward to?
I drank up until today. I'm no going to lie. And yes, at least 9 beers a day, but I lost everything....my home, my car, my job...to make a long story short, my parents took in my son and I and I do meditation(it does work), and though my car is broke down, I am walking to my first meeting tonight in 3 years.
You can do it. We have to believe. We can't depend on others to keep us sober or take away our anxiety. Anxiety is a trick on our minds. Take yourself to a beach or a spa and even your breathing. Don't think of the alchohol. It only got us here where we don't belong.
Good luck and God Bless
Remember:
God grant me the serenity to accept the thing I cannot not
Courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference
Amen
Good luck. You are in my prayers. We can do this.........
Shell ;-)

Ok so I am in the middle of the same problem, im 25 years old, was a heavy drinker for years, then slowed down to only weekends, but bind drinking on those weekends I mean probably 20-25 drinks a night. Anyway, I stop drinking for a month and then go to Vegas, drink non stop for 4 days, and drink about 20 energy drinks, last night im there, I drink probably at least 40 drinks in a 24 hour spand. Next morning, I wake up hung over as hell, sick as hell puking and the usual, but then all of a sudden I get depressed and anxious as hell, felt like I was loosing my mind. Passed back and forth all day for two days could not sleep felt like I was going crazy. Missed my flight had to stay two extra days, then I go to the airport the next day and am still anxious as hell. My brother talks me into getting on the plane. Minute the plane takes off, full blown panic attack, im in the bathroom puking, thought I was trapped and going crazy. Anyway I make it home, started feeling better, now it is the next day, was feeling better the next day until about an hour ago when full blow panic attack and surreal state returns. I don’t know if it was the alcohol, dehydration or what, but I don’t know what to do to make them go away, because I truly am beginning to think that I have lost my mind. Any suggestions would help.

I've also had the same symptoms. I'm 26 and was a very heavy drinker for about 2-3 years, pretty much just getting wasted, passing out, waking up and doing it over again. In the past month or two i have been getting horrible paranoia and panic attacks. The alcohol use to shield it, but has done little lately. I stopped drinking for about three days, the first two were really bad with the horrible paranoia, then after that things settled down and the paranoia is pretty much gone. I also have a ton more energy to do things and what not. I'm pretty much convinced the alcohol over time seems to go from calming the anxiety to making it worse. I've been drinking lightly the past month or so since i "detoxed" for a few days. I've drank hard liquor twice and both times the next day the horrible paranoia was back. Last night i went out and drank nothing but beer, and quite a bit of it and this morning besides a mild hangover there was no paranoia. There has to be something in hard liquor causing the problems.
I would suggest to everyone with the problems to try and cut down the drinking as much as possible, and if you do drink, drink beer and avoid the hard alcohol.

Yep, so the horrible panic and anxiety went away after about a week of hell. Now three weeks later I drank just beer the other night about 12 and felt fine the next day, three days later I went out and got hammered on vodka red bull and hard a, next day anxiety is back. I guess im going to quit drinking for awile and if I do, im going to try just beer.

Hungover, then bam? I'd like to say I've seen a link to overdrinking in my case. I don't really touch hard liquor anymore. But I do enjoy beer, and lots of it. The next day I'm usually fine. Maybe tired, but otherwise fine. And I dont notice those feelings next day or that uneasy, "maybe it's oneof those days" feeling. But yes, now in my 30s, I've had my first panic attacks.

It's when I've had too much beer, emty stomach, than toss in a glass of wine. Next day will be uneasy, something lurking, and just not feeling secure. I finally caved in and got Xanax to stop them. Taken only when needed. Last one lasted 30min.. 10 of which was crazy feeling. Turns out I was only given lowest dose of Xanax and had to take 3. Then it stopped. But yes, I NEVER get them when I dont drink the night before. But if I push it hard, add wine on top of too much beer... look out. Not sure why.. but feel chemically, the brain is swimming and coping with being hungover. They do exist in my family so...??? Genetic?? But yes, next day, feeling hungover, I know they can come. Advice to you folks: Before drinking, eat food, drink water, and get emergency pills just in case. Getting wasted is just so harmful and unnecessary anymore.

At age 29, I decided to go through a cleanse and stop drinking for awhile. Up to then, I'd been drinking daily, moderate to heavy in the evenings.
I definitely experienced anxiety, especially in the evenings. I felt like things were closing in on me. I wanted to run. I'd also wake up and feel a sort of foreboding sense of evil. I read someone else described in as something "lurking" around.
I did deep breathing and prayed each time. I also cried and screamed at times. For me, it worked every time and I never had a full blown "attack".
I believe everyone needs to find his or her own meaning of these experiences, but I definitely found grace in the spiritual realm, and not once did I need to take sedatives. Rather, I decided that these experiences were blessings that helped keep me clean.

Here's some things I did:
I stopped all caffeine by 2pm. I drank lots of water, especially before bed. I ate bananas (potassium). One every morning and one before bed.
I had a meaningful physical object to cling to should I awake. It provides grounding. I personally kept a tourmaline gemstone by my bed because it meant protection to me.
And I spoke aloud to God and simply asked for strength.
And I let the emotions flow. Crying, although painful, was a wonderful release.

Within 2 months, it all stopped. I feel solid now, and have for the past 5 years now. Most importantly, I now know I can handle the darkness and face fears, for I am not alone.

Blessings on your journey. And remember what Churchill said, "If you're going through hell, keep going". Don't stop there. Don't accept it as truth. Keep moving into the Light.

I am 25 and started drinking when I was 15. I decided to quit about a month and a half ago because of problems I was enduring. The last couple of years I have been drinking often and the two months leading up to a month and a half ago when I quit, was pretty heavy. I was drinking 3 to 4 nights a week 10 to 15 drinks. At the end of the two months, I went on a 3 day binger, the first night I drank wine with a few shots and topped it off with some kulua mixed drinks, the next night I drank a bottle of sake and some thick belgium beers alone, passed out on the couch and then carried over into the next day with 8 hours of beer and shots with friends. On the fourth day my vision was strange. It was blurry and transient and I felt really out of it. A couple of days later I felt extreme paranoia, anxiety, crawling sensations up my back, a foggy slow mind, and a general feeling of insanity. A few times it seemed like I was almost hearing voices. So I cold-turkeyed and now, a month and a half later I have been doing better. I still feel anxiety here and there. When I drink NA beers it seems like the symptoms come back, my vision and mind get foggy again, anxiety comes back for a few days and my focus is not there. Lately I have been feeling fine for 2 or 3 days and then the symptoms will come back again sometimes without any NA's, (anxiety, transient visuals and a foggy head), although not nearly as bad as when I first quit. It find it weird that the symtoms would come back even after drinking non-alcoholic beer. I hope these symptoms will subside completely soon, but I guess everyone recovers from the bottle at their own pace. Anyone have any advice on foods or medications to help relieve symptoms or perhaps things to avoid?

I believe that (at least in my case), there is a direct 1:1 correlation between alcohol use, alcohol withdrawal, and panic attacks.
My first panic attack was two years ago, after a night of heavy drinking.
Then, after 30 years of drug and alcohol use/abuse I put myself through treatment and was sober for more than a year.
I made a mistake back in July and drank, and by the next day, was in the Emergency Room thinking that I was having a heart attack...
Four ER visits and four normal E.K.G.'s later it finally dawned on me; 'I'm NOT having a heart attack, I'm having a panic attack'.

EVERY time that I drink, within 24 hours, I end up having repeated panic attacks, which, in turn have brought me to the point of drinking regularly again to stave off the attacks.
But now, thanks to reading the previous posts, I know that it's time to stop drinking again.
I can live through a couple of days of withdrawal and panic, as I know that I won't be drinking again to aggravate the situation.
To all of you who have shared your stories, I thank you.
In a way, it's kind of comforting to know that this phenomena is not unique to me...