I started smoking weed when i was 13. It was not a common thing, maybe once a week if that. After a HORRIBLE trip using a gravity bong, i made a pact with god that if he let me live i would never smoke again..And i didnt until a year ago.

A year ago (im now 21) ...i was suffering from extreme depression. My new boyfriend at the time, now fiance, smoked weed everyday all day and after convincing me it would heal all my problems i decided to smoke. Everything was wonderful and life started to seem better and i fell in love with smoking weed until recently. In september i got strept and it went downhill from here. It was a normal day (besides the strept)..I smoked and i had a panic attack (heart racing, irrational thoughts, thought i was going to die, ect.)..Not sure what the cause of the panic attack was, i smoked again the next day and it happened again. I decided to wait until the strept was gone to smoke again thinking maybe it was because my immune system being weak. So after a week of waiting, i smoked 2 hits and here came the panic attack. I than decided i was done smoking weed for good. THe panic attacks were to much to handle and extremely scary. The last time i smoked was 9/25/09. I do not miss smoking and dont crave for it but im having constant panic attacks and insane anxiety. Everyday i wake up and it seems to be getting worse. I went to the doctors yesterday and they gave me 2 month samples of lexapro which is an anti-depressant and is supposed to helpwith anxiety attacks. I took my first dose last night and WILL NOT continue taking them. IT was awful, the anxiety and panic attacks were increased by 100. My doctor told me it takes a few weeks for your body to regulate and not to give up, but i cannot deal with these symptoms for a few weeks.,

Since stopping, my world view is completely off. I feel disconnected from the world. I am here, am able to talk and function but the way i see things is just weird and that scares me the most. I just want to feel normal...and i feel like the way im seeing things is wats offsetting my attacks to begin with. Ill start to think about why im seeing things the way i am, and than my heart starts racing and than its a full blown attack. After reading ALOT on this, i know im not alone and that has actually helped me remain calm all day today. How long is it going to take for my brain to get back to its normal state and for me to start seeing the world normally again? IM going to start excersing and eating correctly and i think that will help alot (one less thing to be concerned about).

I appreciate any similar experiences with weed causing anxiety and having panic attacks/distorted views after quitting and of course any advice on what i can do!

and just to add..By the time i stopped smoking, i was smoking about 2-3 grams a day.

I feel you I'm going through the same thing, it would be nice if i can chat with you through e-mail. I feel like I'm alone on this.

omg ya i feel like that now , are you okay now !? what did you do to calm yourself down ? i havnt smoked in a month and a half , why do i still feel like this ? :( 

Exactly whats happening to me...On the panic attacks...Just relax,tell yourself that its just your brain overreacting...Take heavy breaths and walk...

Panic attacks are normal during marijuana withdrawal.

Hello, my name is tony im 14 and i have been smoking weed for about 3 years.
It all started on the new year, when i was 11-12 i dont remember, but they gave me a joint and i smoked some of it.
From that day i smoked like a half gram everyday!(never before school). First it started that i smoked it only at night, than after school.
I started having pains in chest and REALLY hard breathing, and i only had to smoke a little tho.
For the info i was smoking skunk and i had really bad anxiety and paranoia, like i was watching behind my back every minute, thinking talking to the dark people that i suppose are behind me will stop doing that.. >:(.. I was scared to do anything honestly the weed helped me to calm a little, but i had those problems allways. I couldnt sleep, i had a feeling like my heart was being squized when i closed my eyes.
I stopped smoking weed since it made everything worse, school, life, friends, paranoia and i wouldnt be able to stop if we wouldnt move.
Im glad that happen and probably noone has the same story, but atleast someone reply if you have a simular.
BTW weed left me with BLACK eye floaters made from the little veins dieing in my eyes, i see everything with more contrast and stuff is just flashy. I smoked SKUNK for your information. MY face was turning white-yellow-green when i was high and eyes were red as fk. I was scared of myself when i looked in the morror and i tought il be blind, i also had a paranoia that my weed was grid but it wasnt. It had the weed effect just that all those things.....were wrong i suppose.

yes it is. The withdrawal symptoms are hard, panic and anxiety attacks are common and so is depression.I smoked a lot for a long time hoping and thinking it will help all this emotional issues but it only worsened it. i was hoping it could replace the prescription meds which i didn't fancy because of all the side effects, but i was gravely mistaken. Weed is a bad idea if you have this mental issues. You will be better off without it in the long run.

continue coming here to talk to get your mind off the withdrawal symptoms, do other things you like and do some exercises if you can, you will be better in a couple of weeks and it gets even better afterwards. Dont smoke anymore, it just makes our condition worse. Best wishes.

Me too. It turns out that I have a long time minor mental illness. I inherited depression from my mother. It's genetic. I also means that I'm kinda smart. I used to self medicate w/weed. Then it all got outa hand. It can mess up your life. I take an antidepressant SSRA drug every day now and life is much more manageable. Im not aware of any side effects. I'm not going to spend my entire life abusing alcohol and px drugs like my mother. I'm not going to die w/COPD like my dad. ( god bless him.) and god bless you too!

I have high anxioudy and I dont know how to act half the time but I am feeling better because I relise it's all in your head.
To live a normal peaceful life..
Read. "the four agreements" AMAZING book<3 your welcome :) it actually works!

I too have gone through what you are going through now, here is my post I wrote on this site, maybe it will give you comfort? You can read the reast of my progress on the post itself:

Hi I have been reading this forum since yesterday. I am a 26 year old female, good health and whatnot. But I would like to share my story and maybe get some support. Lord God knows I am in so much desperate need of it.

Six months ago, I got out of the United States Air Force, my enlistment was up so it was time to go. A few days later I begin my journey with Mary Jane...

I tried marijuana for the first time because I had ran out of my anxiety medication Effexor. The first experience I had was with brownies and I ended up throwing up all night. I decided then I would try to smoke. My routine everyday after that was wake up, get baked, play video games, and watch t.v. I didn't even want to leave the house. There is actually an indention on my couch from where I was sitting there so much!!!

I have been smoking mass quantities daily (5-9 bowls out of a bong) ever since I started smoking, all together about 2 Os a month. The strain i noticed I was a bit paranoid was Sour Diesel, and it was pretty tasty, my stash ran out an month later and I go to my dealer to re-up. He had Platinum OG Kush, I was quite excited to try and new strain...

Three days ago (12 OCT 2012) things went for the worse...

I had been having a hard time sleeping and was going on 24+ with no sleep, so i decided that if I took a couple of hits (six huge ones) of Platinum OG Kush then I would feel the need to go to sleep. Little did I know that it would lead to the most frightening experience I had ever experienced in my life.

I was sitting on the couch watching 30 Rock as the high set in. I started to feel sad and a little depressed, so I went to my bedroom to try and lay down, the symptoms got worse. I had an overwhelming feeling of sadness, depression, fear, and thought of ending my life to stop the emotional pain I was going through. AND the thought of suicide freaked me out. I was thinking "how could I think like this?!?!? I must be crazy, this is too much!" I then called my boyfriend in the room, I explained to him the panic i was feeling and the overwhelming feelings of suicide now. I even imagined taking a gun and shooting myself. I am no where this type of person so again, totally freaking me out with the abnormal thoughts. I then asked my boyfriend to take me to the ER because I was so terrified/sad/depressed.

I get to the ER and explain the situation. The ER is actually on a military base (I'm prior service) so you would think they would take this seriously. Because I didn't have a plan to off myself they pretty much told me to go home after talking to a counselor. It did not make me feel any better. When I got home that night I had another panic attack and was afraid to go to sleep in fear that I would have the same bad thoughts again, so sleep was horrible.

The next day I decided I would try and get back on my anxiety meds Effexor. I know it has a lot of side effects but when I was on it to begin with but it did keep me happy and in a good mood. I went to my Primary Care Doctor and they noted I was depressed and put the prescription in the system. The Doc then took me to Mental Health to talk to someone about the fear and anxiety I was having. They couldnt do much for me since i was a "walk in" so I decided to go to the Veterans Affiars Govnt Agency for help. I figured they would help me. I went to their mental health and the woman I talked to seemed not too concerned with me and more agitated. She told me to call the VA crisis Hotline if the feeling came up again. I was not too happy with this so on the verge of tears I went to the VA Primary Care and told them I needed to see someone immediately. I saw the nurse there and she went and got someone else from mental health. The woman who came and spoke to me actually looked like she actually cared. And walked me to the ER while explaining to the Airmen working at the counter that I was about to lapse in deep depression and I was needed to be seen asap. Well what happened was pretty much happened on my first trip to the ER. I had my boyfriend actually pick me up from the ER afterwards since I was emotionally unstable.

When I got home I felt like I was going crazy, random panic attacks, stomach nausea, pressure over right eye, and extreme fear of thinking like I was a few days ago. I talked to my boyfriend for a while, he tried to feed me but all I could keep down was milk, barely. I was so desperate to figure out what I was going through that a thought came to me, "maybe this is withdrawals from weed or a side effect?" I googled weed withdrawals and it lead me to this site. And everything became clear, I am suffering from weed withdrawls/overuse/the sh*t I was smoking was high grade allegedly. Since I have been reading peoples posts on this so I would like to make a timeline of symptoms and things I have been trying to do since I realized it was the weed.

Day one: the beginning massive panic attack, head pounding, heart pounding, loss of appetite, inapproiate thoughts, depression, a feeling of emptiness, fear, pressure on right side of head kinda like a migraine but with no pain, just pressure, and . I gave up weed that night.

Day two: Same symptoms as day one except the panic attacks are not as intense but still unsettling to the point it stops me in my tracks and I gasp for air to calm the attack down, loose almost watery stools, loss of appetite. I started to feel like I was in a cloud (later I figured maybe depersonalization?). I try not to think about the bad thoughts, but they do end up seeping through. I called a good friend and asked for company so I am not alone, we then went for a walk. I walked until my feet were sore but it did keep me from thinking about the fear I have inside. I get back to my home and being in my living room made me have more panic attacks. (Probably because all i did for 6 months were, weed, video games, and t.v.) So I associated my home as a bad place because of the traumatic experiance I had. Lots of crying and mood swing, slight agitation.

Day three:I started Effexor, and I felt a little better for a short amount of time. I then discovered this website, and it gave me hope that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I go out and about trying to get out and be social as scary as that was. I felt like I was walking in a cloud and that everything was very bright. Kinda like when you have a migraine and you see light and it hurts kinda bright. When I had panic attacks, I would tell myself "its just withdrawals, I'll be okay" but again I broke down in tears and cried.

Day four: I try and go on a fishing trip to Sacramento River to catch a salmon from this years run, fishing I was still having the same symptoms, but not as bad. I was reading most of the posts on this website for the most of the day and it did make me feel better till my phone died (another thing is i get motion sickness and I didn't the entire time I was reading on the boat, strange). I had nothing to look at to make me feel at ease so more panic attacks came and I asked my boyfriend if we could go back to the dock and go home. When the boat started moving, I the wind on my face made me feel really really calm and soothed. So I rolled the window down on the way home and the anxiety was gone....till I got to my house and had panic attacks in the living room so I asked my BF to go on a walk. I tried talking to him and asking him how he is feeling with me going though all this drama, he filled me in and I let home know a little more about how I feel. The walk made my feet hurt and made me feel better that my bf and I were on the right page (communication is key, don't be ashamed of how you feel, the military says that it takes a hero to seek help, you too can be a hero) but again when I got back home, the panic attacks happened again. My friend KT hit me up so I asked my BF if it was a good idea to go out and hang with her because of the way I feel. He thought it would help so I drove out to see her, and along the way, I had a panic attack agin. On the way tho I had a coffee, I didn't want to abstain from caffeine since I know that can have withdrawals as well so I decided to kick the weed first over caffeine. While I was drinking the coffee (vanilla latte, they forgot the sweetener but i was okay with that because I didn't want to be all jittery) I dont know if it was the caffeine or it being an iced drink but as soon as I got the drink in my the anxiety went away. (so im going to do a trial on the coffee aspect and see if that helps) Anywhoo, I probably walked about 5 miles with 4 different people today every-time I had an anxiety attack and felt sad and alone. I am trying really hard to be in public places but it gives me social anxiety. I only ate a banana and some apple slices today, seemes to be the only thing that I can keep down. Water is hard to drink, the smell of food makes me sick. I am craving fresh foods like apples, or lettuce etc. I bought an herbal supplement to ease anxiety called Gaia Stress Response and instant response drops. I haunt taken it since it was so late in the day, but ill let yall know how it goes.

Everyday is a struggle but I am trying to keep my head up, I wanted to share my story to let ya'll know you are not alone with what your going through, you'll really find out what type of person you really are when you have a experience so scary. I have restored my faith in God, and I started addressing things that I was holding bitterness towards. If anyone has any comments about what I'm going through or advice on how to cope because i am still having hard times please let me know. And keep it nice please, people are seriously ill or looking for a light at the end of the Tunnel....Keep your head up and I will keep moving forward

SYMPTOMS (what I have been experiencing): anxiety, loss of appetite, depersonalization, depression, racing thoughts, pounding heartbeat, shallow breath, sweats, loose stools, fear of fear, social anxiety, pressure over right eye (kinda tingly behind it), irritableness, insomnia, senses are heightened. Inner restlessness, possible PTSD from traumatic experience with the anxiety attack

I think you need to look in meditation and yoga. The weed triggered your anxiety one time, and from then on your own anxiety continued to cause more. It's all in your head and meditation is about completely clearing your mind. It helps with just about every aspect you have control over in your life. Look into it, please! Ps. I have suffered with anxiety my whole life, without medication. But I am as happy as can be :)

Hi, my names jimmy, I just wanted to thank you for your story because I have been a smoker for 10 years, recently I had a panic attack, it was very scary, I honestly thought I was having a heart attack, my neck muscles were stiff, my heart was racing, I felt a weird aura from the top of my head down to my neck, after it happened a second time I decided to quit, mind you I went to the E.R 2 times, the second I actually told the doctor I smoked weed, after which he put me in a crisis cent for "drug" addiction, I spent 6 hours in a waiting room unable to leave against my will, it was a horrible experience. I honestly don't know if I want to ever go back because of mistrust that the doctor lied to me. I was treated like a crack head or something. Anyways your story has helped me and I feel bad you have went through worse symptoms then me. Thank you, btw I'm jimmy,

Lay off the weed. Weed isn't for everyone.

els0218,

The way you are seeing things is bothering you? You are seeing things "differently?" What you do not understand is that you were seeing things "differently" before you used cannabis. The plant has opened you up to seeing things as they REALLY ARE.

You feel panic and anxiety over this because of the way you were raised. You must understand that our society is geared to CLOSE THINKING, INQUISITIVE THINKING DOWN. So, all you life what has seemed "normal" is what you have been LED TO BELIEVE is normal.

That is why you can not accept what you are seeing. You should accept it because it IS, and if it weren't for the brainwash you were subjected to all your life, this would not be a problem for you at all.

However, the "doors have been opened" and so have your eyes. Don't be afraid of what you see... there is nothing to be afraid of.