Hi, I am a mother of a six years old girl. She was a very sweet child until three months ago. Her behavior has changed drastically, for no apparent reason. I have never seen her so angry. She started to break her toys and fight with other children. Her teacher says that she is no better in school either. I don’t know what is happening with her. Can you give me some insight to this type of child problem?

Hi, anger and aggressive behavior are very common problems with children. This is usually a reaction to frustration that your child might have experienced. Unfortunately, she is not yet mature enough to express these emotions through words, so she is finding an alternative method of saying how she feels. However, there are some things you can do to help your daughter. First of all, compliment her when she is behaving properly. This way she will learn which actions are desirable and which are not. You should try to teach her to express verbally her feelings. As a result she will be able to talk about her problems instead of having another outburst. At the same time you will have to explain what the acceptable behavior is. Try to explain that it is all right for her to feel angry, but that there are better ways of expressing this emotion than breaking things.