Hi, I am a mother of two wonderful children. My daughter is twenty two and son sixteen years old. I had no trouble with my older child. She was always very responsible and hard working. It is my son that I am having trouble with. He has no respect for me or his father. He refuses to help with the chores and has problems at school. I don’t know what I have done wrong. I have raised him the same way I have raised his sister. Can you please give me some advice? I am very worried about his future.

Hi, I guess that you were very lucky with your daughter. There are not so many teenagers that behave the way she behaved in those years. I have raised two teenagers and they both have behaved just like your son. These years are very hard for every young person. I believe that he actually has problem with the authority figures. My children have also refused to do their homework because they thought that it was a waste of time. I have tried yelling at them, grounding them, and nothing worked. Finally, I have realized that I have to approach them comely and rationally. Your son will not do something just because you tell him that it has to be done. Tell him that he has to do his homework not because his teacher told him to, but because he is learning something from it. You should try to explain to him the importance of education. When he realizes the significance of knowledge, I am sure that school will no longer be a problem. If you start to treat your son more as an adult and less as a child I am sure that you will have a greater communication.