I need to get some general info regarding the childhood mood disorders for to me it looks like my friend's kid is behaving weird. He is a cute child but I somehow think he needs some psychotherapy help for I think he is too young-8 year old-to have such mood changes. The thing is that I have never saw sad child like he is sometimes and on the other hand just a few weeks later there is no trace of his shyness or sadness, he is more like being euphoric but I don't look at it like he is full of energy-there is simply something wrong in his behavior so I just need some info about childhood mood disorder for I remember I have red something about it but it was a long time ago so I just need to refresh my mind or precisely would like to hear if a child could be suffering of some sort of mood disorder. Thanks!

Anyone could be hinted by mood disorder so childhood mood disorders is also very common so anyway if there is any suspicious of childhood mood disorders and is usually manifested with alternately changes in mood-just like in your friend's son case he is extremely happy or extremely sad so it looks like he might be having bipolar disorder which is one of the serious form of mood disorders which also includes major depression, dysthymia and other forms of mental illness. So basically it is very important to recognize what mental illness that is what type of childhood mood disorder is involved so that the right treatment could be prescribed. For diagnosing mood disorders is essentially having some physical examination as well as some mental health examination so depression is usually treated with antidepressants while bipolar disorder is treated with combination of antidepressants and mood stabilizers and usually lithium is being prescribed.