I need some general info about mental illness for I think my 21 years old daughter might be having some mental illness. I don't know what condition this might be but she has periods that changes alternately-there is time when she is euphoric and restless without any sleep needs, she could do anything and arrive anywhere and just a week after she is totally opposite-depressed, tired, sleeps for days without will for anything and practically in whatever phase she is she do what she wants without any care for other people's feelings. This condition goes on for almost a six months and I started thinking she might be having some mental illness for the things are just getting worse. I don't know what happened to her-she was always a good child, friend and student, all this came just from nowhere. I need to know how to help her.

I am familiar with those symptoms for my cousin suffered from them almost a decade ago and she is still on meds therapy on daily bases. It is form of mental illness called bipolar disorder my cousin was actually diagnosed with manic depression and it is always genetic related though in some cases some terrible event may trigger it. My advice is to take your daughter to get proper diagnose go the way she is behaving is not regular and if not recognized and treated on time the right way than you risk the chance this condition turn into even some more serious mental illness. My cousin was hospitalized three times in the course of 10 years and it is been now almost 4 years she doesn't having any problem but despite this fact she is still on drugs and some antidepressant.