I am worried about my sister. She is pregnant for 5 months and has problem with high cholesterol. I am not sure if she is getting proper treatment for it. Should she be worried? Is it possible that this could affect her baby?

Abnormally high levels of cholesterol in the blood are called hypercholesterolaemia. This condition is associated with atherosclerosis, the progressive narrowing of the arteries. These conditions are usually treated with cholesterol-lowering medications. However, these medications can't be used during pregnancy. Future mothers with high cholesterol could increase the risk of developing potentially life threatening pre-eclampsia. Pre-eclampsia is a condition in which the future mother develops abnormally high blood pressure. If this condition is not controlled it can lead to eclampsia or seizures that can hurt both, the mother to be and the baby. Also, pre-eclampsia can lead to premature delivery. I don't know if your sister is in danger of premature delivery or any other condition because her doctor is the only one who knows the level of the cholesterol in her blood. If you are worried about that I advise you to talk to her and see if she is getting a treatment.