My husband and I have just returned from the hospital where I had an ultrasound done and it showed some abnormalities. The doc told us that our baby has a choroid plexus cyst. My husband and I are both devastated and we can’t think properly, couldn’t even hear what the doc was saying. Is there any mom whose child had these signs. Can you tell us more about this condition? Thx!!!!

Hello! Don’t get so alarmed. Choroid plexus cysts are fluid-filled spaces in the choroid plexus. Choroid plexus is not a part of the body involved in thinking. These cysts are seen in about 1% (1/100) of all second trimester ultrasounds. Choroid plexus cysts may be seen in one or both sides of the brain. The number, size, and shape of the cysts may vary. Choroid plexus cysts usually disappear on their own by 24-26 weeks of pregnancy. They are not known to interfere with normal brain development or cause brain damage. They are not tumors or cancer. It is most likely that the choroid plexus cysts are normal for your baby and you will have a normal, healthy child. However, some researchers have seen an association between these cysts and a chromosome abnormality called Trisomy 18. The chance that a fetus with isolated choroid plexus cyst(s) has Trisomy 18 is felt to be about 1% or less if the rest of the ultrasound exam was normal. This means that there is a 99% or greater chance that the fetus does not have a chromosome abnormality. Choroid plexus cysts do not cause Trisomy 18, they are only a sign that the fetus may have a somewhat higher chance of having that condition.

Our daughter is seven years old and after a recent MRIwe have been told she has a cysct in her brain CHORID PLEXUS. ANY INFO.would be appreciated.

I am curious about the cyst. I am 35 years old and in my 20th week of being preganant with twins. One of them was diagnosed at the 18th week with having a cyst. They didn't notice any other signs of there being any problems but want us to having a level II ultrasound done at another facility. My blood work has all came back as normal. My question is they are wanting us to meet with a genetic counselor before having this done. What will be discussed during this time? It is scary to believe there is nothing wrong and they are wanting us to talk to this person. This is very scary for myself and my husband. Any advice you can give us would be great.

I am 20 weeks pregnant and at my ultrasound they detected a choroid plexus cyst. Due to the fact the everything else is excellent and that my blood work came back normal and that I am only 22 they said my chances of having a baby with trisomy 18 is less than 1%. What I am getting to is that the doctor told me that there are people who she has done autopsy's on who were healthy 80 year old people who (when the brain was looked at) had this cyst. I would say this is nothing to worry about. If other testing comes back normal than I would start to feel alot better.