HELP PLEASE! My wife is pregnant (12 weeks) and yesterday we went to hospital for her first trimester screening test and doctor told us the baby is growing normal but they are concern about chromosome cuz they said there is water under baby's neck or something, they took her blood and said would call us in 10 days and also gave us an appointment for second screening test at 20 weeks. i think the doctor told us 95% of baby is normal but my wife and I were so scared that we couldn't even pay attention what the doctor was saying afterwards. The doctor gave us a gift for baby but we are still not satisfied. My question is should we really be concerned about this and what did doctor meant by chromosome? Did anyone of you experienced this when you went for first screening? We both have no history of abnormalities in our families but my wife did have two miscarriages one in 2/1 month and an other one in tube in 1 month. 

Hi Guest,

The concern is that it seeing fluid around the neck could indicate a chromosonal disorder, possibly Down's syndrome,   That's why they took the sample.  Remember too, sometimes the ultrasound image may be compromised by the position of the fetus. 

Your doctor is being thorough. 

Please try not to worry about this.  Odds favor that nothing is wrong.

Keep us posted please.  Good luck.  Hope it helps.

Thank you so much!