Hello there. I hope there might be someone who could help me out a bit. My grandfather is a passionate smoker, he smokes almost two packs of cigarettes a day, which is way too much for anyone, let alone 74 year old guy who did this his entire life. I tried to explain him the danger he puts himself in, but my words does not reach him. Anyway, he started coughing six months ago. I need to know the exact bronchitis signs, so that I can prepare him for eventual illness.

Bronchitis signs would be productive cough in winter months (lots of secretion), dispnoia (patient has a subjective opinion of lacking oxygen), whistle sounds coming from his lungs during breathing in early morning etc. Also, if he is over weighted and cyanotic, these also confirm the bronchitis diagnosis. These signs are the same for acute bronchitis, but be aware that chronic bronchitis is much more dangerous and can cause some damage to a patient.