My husband was recently diagnosed with bronchitis. He is a cigarette smoker, but not serious one, maybe 5, 6 a day. Still, he has coughing problems and also, wheezing sounds are heard in the morning. We have two little kids, 7 and 5 years old. Are they in any danger? How long does incubation period last? Is bronchitis airborne? Please, answer me.

Bronchitis incubation period is different in acute bronchitis and in chronic one. Incubation period in chronic one is about 15 days, and as far as we can tell, there are no exact number in acute one. This is because "reasons" for getting acute bronchitis are accumulated during years. There is no visible symptoms, so that illness cannot be stopped in its early stage, only when it is fully developed. It is air borne, so be carefull.

Hello there ealasaid,

Well in my opinion bronny has gave you pretty good answer so there is no need to go deep further into it. If you are scared because of your children than just take them to the doctor and do testing. It is better to be safe than sorry. In case that your husband is suffering from chronic bronchitis it will reaper from time to time and unfortunately there is no cure for this, but medications are working pretty good in relieving the symptoms.

Also this can go even further if it isn’t treated correctly, and you can end up having pneumonia and this can be dangerous. I hope this was helpful and that your children are just fine.

Your children are at risk but not from the bronchitis he has now. My Mom and Dad smoked arounnd me when I was young. I never smoked a day in my life. For the past few years I have gotten chronic bronchitis. I have gone to a pulmonologist who has x- rayed my lungs and I have what is called smokers lungs and I developed them just because so many years ago my parents smoked around me. I am 58 now. You say that your husband only smokes 5 a day. If he is getting bronchitis he shouldn't be smoking even those. It may be too late to change him but please save your children what I have gone through and never allow any smoke to get around them which means no smoking in the house. Oh how I wish my parents had known that. Good luck to you all.