I have had one or two ocular migraines in my life, some years ago now, with chevrons of light, and this phenomenon is nothing like that.   When I close my eyes, for the first 20-30 seconds, I see very tiny pinpoints of light as if I were looking out into the neighbor's backyard on a dark summer night, and fireflies were flashing in various places in the yard. Only it's sped up a lot, as if someone had filmed a video of the fireflies in the back yard and was playing the video back in fast-forward. 

I spend a lot of time in front of a flat computer screen, many hours at a time, and am wondering if these are "ghost pixels" -- is the optical nerve "remembering" the random firing of some especially bright pixels on the monitor that were too brief for my brain to have consciously registered them?

I experience this same sensation as you describe.  I brought it to my ophthalmologists attention when having my annual eye examine. I had had it for year's.  When it first occurred, it scared me to death....thought I was maybe going blind!  She reported that she, also, has this.  You describe as "fireflies"....I liken it to reflection of the sun off the water in the river.  My ophthalmologist told that it's the brain that is causing this and not your eyes/vision.  Just before this occurs, as I am looking at something, I have this sort of "aura" where my vision is somewhat distorted/out of focus.  Then, when I close my eyes, I will see a tiny white bright light in whichever eye it's occurring in.  As time passes, this white bright light multiples into this sort of flashing diamond-shaped pattern, always moving from the right side of the eye, across the field of vision to the left side, then disappears after 15 to 20 minutes.  Some individuals do experience migraine headaches after an occurrence.  It is said that this "aura" can occur in those who suffer migraines. Luckily, I had not.

Sorrie ahs da dae es long mon, bot dees bees terrible alien brainscans mon.