Hi, my sister is 20 years old, and in the last two weeks, she’s been experiencing grainy vision. I know it sounds strange, but she couldn’t find a better expression. She’s really upset, and any suggestion would be helpful.

Hi, I know exactly what you’re talking about. I’ve been experiencing grainy vision for a long time, and I didn’t know the cause. When I went to doctor, everything was fine, I didn’t even need the glasses. They didn’t find anything wrong, so they suspected that I had a panic disorder, or that I’m even a hypochondriac. They didn’t use those exact words, but I got the message. I didn’t go to doctor since that unpleasant experience, and my grainy vision is worsening. It’s hard to read or to look at the objects that are too small or too big. However, I don’t want to lose my vision because of couple of rude doctors. I will go again, and insist on further examination and proper diagnosis for my grainy vision.

Its called visual snow. Go to Wikipedia (the online encyclopedia) and type in "visual snow"

**this post is edited by moderator ** web addresses not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use

Thanks, I've had this type of vision for as long as I can remember, I wanted to know more about it, so finally knowing what it's called has helped me.

My daughter also has visual snow for 2 years it is getting worse. I am not sure how to help! We have exostied Medical Field they think she is crazy. She is sain as me. I think it is a pinched nerve in her spine. We are going to try spinal decompression Vax-D Canada next. If you get some thing that works please Keep in contact. _[removed]_ 1-905-852-5201 call collect

I too have grainy vision but not snowy,( about 4 months now) like a bad print job and all the lights have an aura, it's only in one eye. I went to the vision doctor and had my eyes tested, it has not affected my level of vision and I can still see all the colors.
I also saw my regular doctor and I don't even think he believed me! What a jerk.

The worst part is that bright lights appear brighter and it is hard to read something that is on bright white paper.

I have bad sinuses but have never taken anything for it until this week when I started taking claratin clear and I noticed that as my sinuses began to clear up so did my eye and it came back when the medicine wore off; so here's my theroy. * My sinus cavaties were swollen and maybe touching an optic nerve causing a disruption in my vision but not enough to cause a headache. * Just a theroy but you never know

if it's not in a text book most dr.s don't have a clue.

If you have bad sinuses and grainy vision it can't hurt to give it a try. I hope this helps somebody.

I have suffered with grainy/snowy vision since about 7th grade. I am now 53 and find that there are days that are far worse than others. Light sensativity, visual trails (palinopia) and occasional migrains have been my sysmptoms over the years. I have found the more stress I am under the worse the grainy and snowy vision and visual trails are. I have been on a low dose of Klonopin for anxiety and find great releif for the visual affects. Also I find that Relpax (very expensive) is great for stopping a full blown migraine with aura, headache, nausia and disorientation.

I have been to a headache specialist (neurologist), psychiatrist, psychologist, Opthomologist, and my General Priactictioner and most had little to nothing to say. I think that think I am making this stuff up. The neurologist tried several attempts with anti-depressents that proved to make matters worse than better. I find a low dose of Klonopin to be the best for me....though I am warned and counciled that it is very habit forming.
I did a search on Wiki for "grainy vision" and learned a lot about this. we are not alone, rare, but not alone and there are a few medical professionals trying to deal with this. good luck all!

I started noticing this grainy vision after watching a 3d movie. Im screwed up with eye floaters and a screwed up peripheral field of vision.

To participate in this Visual Snow study you must:

1) Suffer from 24/7 visual snow
2) live in the U.S.
3) Be willing to travel to San Francisco for testing
4) complete a short, very simple phone interview with Dr. Schankin to determine if you are eligible
5) Must be between the ages of 18 - 55

Contact details for the study can be found on ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

* International patients are eligible to, but due to jet lag, you must be in San Francisco for 10+ days. While U.S. patients are only required to be there for 2 days.

Would love to get more information about the study in SF since I deal with this issue 24/7. Unf. the moderator stripped out all relevant information. Email me back if you can. I'm 38, male, live in Los Angeles and have been dealing with this forever and am sick of it. Thanks.

Ive had grainy vision for a few years, just got glasses thinking it would go away..but it didnt, It only lessened the slight faded look of everything (which may just be the eyesight problem solved with glasses). This visual snow is like a very translucent film of that white noise TV screen over my eyes. Shame on "professionals" who make thier clients feel crazy or like hypocondriacs. This isnt even debateable....I can literally see grainy-ness everywhere.

I have recently been having grainy vision. I have had it for 2 months now and it followed a very long twisting feeling with intense pressure that I had in my temples. After this "migraine" I also now have halos around lights, rays, and intense light sensitivity that hasn't gone away and blurry vision that comes and goes. My Neuro started me on prednisone which doesn't seem to be helping and a migraine med to try to ease what he thinks is a migraine. I'm going on Wednesday to see a Opthamalogist. This has made reading a difficult task...and Im starting Nursing school in January.  Any further info would be helpful.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hey Steve I have started experiencing this since my alcohol withdrawal After taking some anti depressants the VS began Its driving me to the brink of insanity Please give me the details about this study in san fran Best regards thanks

I'm 28 years old, I have had to wear glasses my entire life, other than that I have no other health related issues. I'm not sure that what I experience is what everyone is describing as visual snow. In adequate or normal light conditions, my vision is fine. However, in low light conditions I begin to see what I imagine every one describes as visual snow. In low or dim lit places I begin to see what is akin to thousands of tiny dot like distortions (like tv static), however if the lighting is sufficient to illuminate the objects in the room to the degree that you could easily identify colors this "Static" or "visual snow" is not intrusive. But, if I stare at a fixed point for any length of time, the static is present enough that I can see it, as though I was looking through a fine mist.

This changes though as it gets darker, and this is where what I experience seems to diverge from what many describe as "visual snow". If i am in a dark room, one in which a person coming from an adequately lit room would need any amount of time for their eyes to adjust to, what I experience is more like my vision becomes pixilated. But it isn't just that my vision is pixilated, it is that moving pixilation like static. It often makes stationary objects appear as though they were moving, this is more pronounce the farther away the objects are. It is almost as though my brain processes that what I am looking at is familiar but due to this fuzziness it can't determine the objects exact place in reference to everything else that I am seeing, thus creating the illusion that the object is moving slightly. 

Often times when I was younger, my mind would use this fuzziness, this uncertainty of what I was seeing at night to project things that weren't there just out of the center of my vision. However, when I would try to look directly at whatever it was nothing was there.

Another way to describe it would be; if you have ever seen heat rise off of a grill or off of hot asphalt, it is like looking through that. I can distinguish objects but there is a noticeable distortion, or haze, what I would describe as "static" or "visual snow"

Like I said before though, I'm 28 years old and I have had this for as long as I can remember so I have learned to live with it. But it would be nice to know what or why it is and if there is anything I can do about. It also comes with the halo around lights and what other people describe as "afterglow" or "burn in" when going from well lit to complete darkness.

I guess if any knows if this is the same thing or if anyone else experiences it the same way I do. I have no idea, and nothing I've read up to this point has offered any explanation. 

To the most rescent post, u are 28, dont know your name but could you contact me through email i think i am goin through exactly what u have been and want to discuss it with you