Two days ago I had my first unpleasant experience with vision problems. My vision was changed for about twenty minutes, I could notice flashes and changes in colour of the usual objects (the grass in my yard looked blue and the milk was almost orange!). The next day this episode was much longer and it included floaters - big dark spots. Am I just too tired or do I have to talk to my doctor about this? I have no history of eye diseases. Can weird vision problems such as swirling, flashing and floaters indicate a psychiatric problem?

The problems you mention are usually associated with eye pain, and this is, further, connected to numerous eye disorders. Eye pain can indicate some benign problems, e.g. exposure to strong light or small particles found in the eye. This can irritate your eyes to a very high extent so try to rest your eyes, avoid light, rinse with water and do not rub. Visit a doctor who will “expel” the foreign body from your eye. Less benign problem is inflammation of any kind. Perhaps your vision problems announce blepharitis, inflammation of the iris or even conjunctivitis. Another possible scenario is that you managed to remove the foreign body from your eye(s) and scratched the cornea while doing that. This enables the development of ulcers and abrasions which have the symptoms you described. If the pressure in your eyes is for some reason increased you can develop glaucoma - most glaucoma is painless and this may be the only symptom you’ll have. If you think there might be a reason for mental disturbances to appear consult a psychiatrist. If not, just go to a good ophthalmologist.

has anyone out there ever had a floating doo hickey in an eye that looks kind of like a predator shape ? ( the movie the predator ) only lasts 30 seconds

I get this ALL the time, it's so annoying I can barely see. It really sucks when I get it in school, or when I'm trying to write my book. I'm actually kind of worried because it's not always the same shapes colors ect. BTW, I'm having this issue right now, so if I spell anything wrong, sorry. Does anyone know exactly what is the problem, and how it can be fixed. I don't even really understand how to explain it to a doctor. BTW, I have wear contacts. Could this be part of the problem? Even when I take them out it's still there so...please help! Thanks

-M

I know exactly what is going on.  I too have the same problem as do most people.  The floaters are actually dead cells. They are harmless and nothing to worry about.  My eye doc explained this to me. Sometimes I don't notice a thing, then I seem to have periods when I see them lots. Annoying little devils! Not sure about the flashes of light though. Wouldn't hurt to contact your eye doc and ask.

I'm having an episode similiar to that now. I'm on the internet trying to find what maybe happening to me. They don't last more than 20 minutes., and its very difficult to see the keyboard. This episode that I'm having now today is worse than yesterday, inwhich Iam feeling neauseated. I don't know what to do - all I can do is ride it out and after its done take some aspirin for the dull pain afterwords.

Steve,

It sounds just like a migrain with an aura.

I have the same thing going on with my eye and that is exactly how I describe it. have you found out what it is? I would really appreciate if you would reply, I know this was posted a year ago

I have these 20-30 minute episodes about every 3-6 months where the very center of vision in both eyes is suddenly gone, like somebody took a flash picture,  If I'm reading, I can't see the word I'm trying to read. It starts that small. It slowly grows; sometimes into an oval, other times into a half-oval, that looks like a rope of spinning prisms. Leaving my vision inside, where is was, unaffected.  It grows larger in size but rarely is larger than what looks like a rope of spinning prisms about 3 inches thick at arms length.  The size of the oval or half oval gets bigger and bigger and eventually exceeds my field of vision and it's over.  Maybe there is a very mild headache afterwards but not bad enough even to bother with a pain pill. It's just weird.

Sounds like you're experiencing a certain type of migraine. I have had the same thing happen in the past. It starts as a very small speck in one eye and grows to a certain size,, usually taking 15 mins to do so, by the end of the 15 mins I'm nauseated and them become very fatigued. My doc said it was a certain kind of migraine and I can't remember. Hope this helps. BTW I'm now experiencing the white swirly spots and that's how I came across this site.

I seem to notice it more after some kind of strenuous exercise. I wonder if strain causes it?

i've been told they are considered eye migraines. The only thing that helps when I get them is to close my eyes and remove light.

HI Mark...this describes exactly what I experienced today. What have you learned?

Mark,

Excellent description of my current experience, a rope of spinnig prisms growing in size, shape of a hal-oval (left side open), in both eyes, equally. No pain or discomfort though of any kind. Just difficlt to see or read in affected area of eyes. Started small in cether of foces, now migrating outward to the right as it expands.

have the same spinning round or oval prisms, could it be sinus issues? I seem to be having a slight issue with that and have read that sinus can cause eye issues.