This happened just once to me, when I was wide awake in the middle of the night, and only for a couple of minutes: When I closed my eyes, it was all bright, white light. My friend said it has happened to hert, too. What could that be?

I'm not entirely sure what it is but I haven't ever heard of it. Have you seen an ophthmologist to see what they say? I think that would be a good idea. Let me know!

I'm curious too. I've had several fleeting vision interruptions since I had bypass surgery 13 years ago and I can't get an answer from any medical people. When I mention it at my physical my doctor just goes "uh, huh" and writes it down in my file along with a bunch of other things that get the same response from him. The RNP at the VA just types things like that into my computer records without giving me an answer or opinion.

The first time it happened was a couple days after I got home from the bypass surgery. They had given me a "hot line" phone number to call at the hospital if anything happened, so I called it. I had to leave a message. It was more like an "ask a nurse" line. They never got back to me. I mentioned it to the heart surgeon who operated on me when I went back to him for a checkup and to get the staples taken out of my arm about three weeks after the operation. He just considered it normal and didn't even make a note in my records.

I don't worry about it anymore. It's been thirteen years since the first time and I ain't dead yet. I would guess It's just something that happens to misfire in the brain that happened to be in the vision part.

I suffered from this last night and I had no medical issues at all and when I just turn out the light and get ready to sleep and lay down and close my eyes I could feel as if through my eye lids  very bright light but I squint my eyes open and its pitch black in my room.

I even put tape over the green LED of the smoke alarm as it used to keep me up at night.

I used to get this actually when I was a little boy(under age of 8) and and I used to pretend an angel was protecting me.
But why over 30 years later the symptom would return?

I get it to I think we are seeing gods light like they say gog is light well thats what i think :D

Maybe because your angle wants to remind you that he/she is still with you. I close my eyes and see a light like a head light on a car passing by

First time I have had this strange experience. Lay down to sleep in a dark room and close my eyes and I see bright white. Like a room painted white with florescent light. Very strange! Opened and closed my eyes and fell to sleep.

It's your higher self, use that time to ask questions or advice.

It happens to me too. I wake up in the middle of the night. It’s dark in my room, but each time I close my eyes to go back to sleep it seems as if there is a bright light hanging over my face. Like being in a chair at the dentist’s office. When I pop my eyes open it’s still very dark in the room. Close them and the bright light is back. Eventually I fall back to sleep. No explanation.

It happens to me too. I wake up in the middle of the night. It’s dark in my room, but each time I close my eyes to go back to sleep it seems as if there is a bright light hanging over my face. Like being in a chair at the dentist’s office. When I pop my eyes open it’s still very dark in the room. Close them and the bright light is back. Eventually I fall back to sleep. No explanation. (Sorry I put my first reply in the wrong place.)

Yes. Happens to me too.
Unlike the others I read here, opening my eyes only shows a yet brighter light. I am basically blinded, temporarily. Does not happen in bed. Only happens when in the open space and outdoors. If I just relax, and let whatever it is “finish with me., then I always feel much better about life and more complete. It is obviously something good (?), and obviously not a “medical condition.” FYI... excessive gamma radiaton is know to cause the same visual effects, just not the feel better part my experience. Astronauts told stories of seeing light with eyes closed, even when sleeping. Be very careful who you tell about it tho. Many people and family members have turned away from me for speaking of such. Yes, it is real and a gift, but it is probably better to just keep it to yourself and pretend it never happened. People will call you crazy and shun you, as they fear what they (or you) do not understand.

Yes it happens to me. I wake up in the middle of the night because of a bright light. When I open my eyes it is dark. I do find that putting on a sleep mask does make the light I see darker. It feels like I'm so light sensitive that even a small amount of "external" light turns into bright light with my eyes closed.

I went to an ophthalmologist. He thoroughly tested my retinas. They were ok and since the light I see is steady & not flashing he wasn't worried. He had no idea why I get this light.

From a google search :

Flashing lights, a sudden onset of floaters, or a rapid increase in them (especially if they are confined to one eye or appear in large clumps), blurry vision, or the disappearance of part of your visual field may indicate that your retina has, or is about to become, detached from your eye

Same thing happened to me when I interned in a Victorian Mansion by myself ...already creepy, I would close my eyes at night and a bright light so blinding would occur that I would have to open my eyes to avoid blindness. ...I just had this happen and now I am living hundreds of miles from there....not as Intense....but niethless a bright light shines brightly after closing eyes

Constant Bright Blinding Light when trying to sleep. Not every night, but only on certain occasions. So bright, it makes me cringe in frustration, because it makes it very difficult to sleep. It's like trying to sleep staring into the brightest light bulb on the planet. What's really going on?

I just had this happen all last night. I have always seen bright light in my eyes when I hear a loud sound. Especially in the dark. But this is the 1st time it's happened with no sound.