First off thanks for taking you time and reading.
I have been seeing these flashing lights in my vision. Now they come and go
and this is what I have noticed tirggers them.

Being on the computer for to long
laying down (normally on computer)
Exercising (SOMETIMES)
Marijuana (I know dont kill me for it) (when I smoke im normally on the computer)

They are described like this:
It is either in my left eye or right or both.
They are blackish when looking at a white wall and they appear whitish when looking at a computer or tv screen
They are not there and then I blink and they appear like the after image of a camera then fade away QUICKLY. this all happens within a couple seconds.
Also When I move my eye from looking at one this to the other they appear then disappear.
They only last for a seconds after I blink then come back when I blink.
If its in my right eye it come when I blink my right eye.
If its in my left it comes when I blink my left.
This lasts from 1min to 5 mins (I dont actually see the flash for 5 mins but this is how long it happens when i blink then it stops after that... so when I blink its not there.

Could this be eye strain fro computer b/c its normally happens when im on the computer or watching TV.

I have TMJ could that be anything to do with it?

I am worried it has something to do with my carotid artery or a blockage of blood flow because it happens SOMETIMES when I exercise or smoke marijuana (lowers blood pressure).

It also happens when I do not smoke or do not exercise so that is not the ONLY problem.

I went to an eye doctor and they said no retinal detachment. -came back fine
I had an ekg. -came back fine
I had an echo of my heart. -came back fine
I had a stress test. -came back fine
I had a ultrasound of my right carotid artery (because I had a lump there and a pounding in my right ear when I exercise turns out lymph node(not sure about the pounding I am worried that my left carotid artery is blocked and thats whats causing the pounding in my right ear because there needs to be more blood flow.) p.s. I have major anxiety
I had a cat scan of my neck for lumps turns out just swollen lymph node.

My parents have had it up the hear with tests because I am on 20 but I still worry its something with my blood flow. When I lay down SOMETIMES BUT NOT RARELY I can feel blood flowing in the back of my head it feels like a tingling expanding sensation that goes away after a little bit. (my doctor says its probably anxiety)

What is causing these flashing lights. It is just from eye strain or should I go and have yet another test for something.

20 yo male 185 pounds

Hi Billy. It sounds to me like the flashing lights that you are talking about is probably low blood pressure if it's anything. Do you have a family history of low blood pressure or anything like that? I think that's what it could be. I didn't see you'd been tested for it but it sounds pretty likely. Let me know, okay?

I have the exact same symptoms. But for me it only happens with strenuous cardiovascular exercise (pulse about 140 for more than 30 mins). I have had ultrasound of carotid, ekg, cholesterol and opthamology exams that all came back normal. Any ideas? Billy, did you ever figure out what was going on with you?

Thanks.

got exactly the same symptoms...could be linked to migraine with aura (prodroms or symptoms between migraines), maybe low blood pressure but I don't think so because it would not happen when exercising (very high blood pressure when running for example!!). My neuro did not have good explanation about it! Marijuana, or smoking + lack of sleep etc trigger migraine...

REALLY INTERESTED IN YOUR COMMENTS ON BLOOD FLOW/ PRESSURE ETC. because I have Raynaud's disease and very low blood pressure. The flashing coincided with me taking nifedipine medication to open up blood vessels. I will be calling my doctor to discuss this next week!

I have the exact same thing too. It feels like its from using my phone too much. The bright spot just stays there when you blink.

Thanks for reply...
The image I see (cf the circular image when you are waiting for Google to load on your laptop!), is so stress related and all tests come back ok, except there appears a slight build up of fluid at the back of my eye that could be causing the problem. Today, my Dad went for a life threatening operation, with death a distinct possibility.... My sight and flashing was unbearable. Tonight, he has come through and, guess what, my eyes are far less stressed and vision better, with fewer flashing, however the flashing is worse in a dull light and more apparent on stark backgrounds. All consultants are happy that my eyes are remarkably healthy, more so than there's they say!!!!
I remain at a loss of what to do to help cure the problem!

I've had this exact thing for about a month!! Ever find out anything? I did find something very interesting out that explains why we see it in low light