I've had an awful cold for a few days now, and as I was getting up and about this morning, I noticed I have a bright spot in the middle of my right eye's vision, like I looked into a bright light or something, but it's been there for almost seven hours now without showing any sign of fading.

It's not getting worse, but the fact that it's not fading away is concerning me. The only symptomatic information I can find online involves shadows, not bright afterimage-type light spots.

Can anyone offer me some information on what this might be?

I have one of those in my left eye, following a cold at easter. Maybe it is viral damage?

My optometrist could not see any retinal damage but reported there were small deposits of hardened humour on the retina.

Maybe they act as little lenses concentrating the light? If I do a rapid eye movement the spot seems to be surrounded by a set of rings - that could be a diffraction pattern.

Hope the body's self cleaning stuff will eventually remove it - still there today.

A web search suggests this phenomenon is not uncommon.

This is not uncommon due to the pressure in nasal passages and eyes during a severe cold. All of the pressure in your head can cause the bright spot in the middle of your vision. Symptoms should subside over time depending on how sick you have been and if you are completely over it. If the symptoms persist it is important to see your doctor for a thorough examination. I am sure there are others out there who can help as well as this seems to be quite common. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on the symptoms and how soon they go away.

Bright persistent spot in vision #15 [url] [-]

Registered User

Posts: 1

02/10/10 2:36 PM
I had the "bright spot in vision" problem. I started noticing this after suffering from cold for a few days.

Symptom - A persistent ring in the centre of right eye. When I close my eyes, the ring appears like an after image of a light bulb. It is especially noticable when I walk from a well lit room into a dark one.
In well-lit environment, it appears like a grey, semi-transparent ring. I am able to see through it, but my eye focusses on the ring all the time, making it difficult to read, work on computer, or discern a distant object.
The ring was pronounced when I look at a lcd screen.

Cause:
In my case, the cause was identified to be Central Serous Retinopathy. You can google for CSR and get a detailed description.
CSR is accumulation of fluid just below the macula, the centre of your vision. Detection requires ultra-sound test of the eyeball. The fluid may be the germ fighting material the body produced, for instance, to fight cold, as in my case.

Cure:
According to the doc I visited, it cures by itself, in most cases. Doc said it will take 3-4 months to go away. But in my case, it went away 2-3 weeks after it first appeared. It has diminished to a small spot, which will probably take a while to go away. However, it is at one side of the vision in my right eye, so it does not bother like the earlier blob used to. Doc prescribed an eye drop to help the healing.

Hope this helps.
Disclaimer - I am sharing this information so that it helps others suffering from similar problems. I am not a doctor. Do not assume that the symptoms you observe will be caused by the same problem that I am having. Please see an eye doctor for treatment and diagnosis.

I see a bright spot in my right eye, just like the afterglow of a bright light. It has the size of a penny and it doesn't fade away. I have it already for six days. It is NOT in he centre, but in the upper left hand side, next to the nose. I had no cold or any other problems.

I have had the same thing! A bad cold with sinus pressure and now I have this bright spot in my eye which doesn't go away. I'm hoping it is as the above say and will resolve following a cold. Thanks for the info.

I have been getting bright spots in both my eyes periodically for years that are associated with low blood sugar (hypoglycemia).  However, recently I've had a more or less persistent bright spot in my right eye although my blood sugar seems to be pretty stable.  I also noticed that when I blink rapidly I can see the after image of the veins in my right eye.  If I stare at a white wall or the snow I also see squiggly lines.   In addition to that my vision changed somewhat dramatically in the last three months such that I'm now extremely far-sighted in that eye (everything close is very blurry in that eye and is much worse than my left eye).  I saw an eye doctor and she said that there's nothing wrong with my eyes that she could discern and that it was probably ocular migraines.  I've been ignoring it mostly, but it seems to get worse when I have caffeine, work on the computer too long, or have low blood sugar.  I'm trusting that the ophthalmologist know what she's doing but sometimes it's pretty hard to see out of that eye.

this happens to me for about an hour. always at work early morning when I'm stressing over having to fire fight some crazy problem right after coffee while I'm working at the computer light breakfast, carrot cake. now i can't see. it blows. that's the only pattern i can discern. I don't have a headache. maybe a bit lightheaded. slightly dizzy because of the annoying partial blindness and frustration that i can't fully see what i'm typing but that's it. same feeling you get when you've had a bit too much weed

First of all, sorry for my bad English, I am from Spain.

I've seen a fixed spot in my left eye for four mounths. At the beginning it was like  I looked into a bright light, or the sun, but this dot never faded away. I see it a lot when I blink quickly. I have seen several oftalmologists who made me a lot of exams like OCT, visual fields, magnetic resonance... and everything is OK. They didn't find anything that could cause this fixed dot in my vision. It could be a retinian migraine or a migraine with aura, but it isn't because I had had migraines with aura many times, I am very familiarized with it, and this is different. I am very upset beacuse a week ago I started to see another dot with the same characteristics in my other eye.

I've had the same thing for several months. I notice it most when I'm reading or doing close work, but it does come and go or at least I don't notice it as much when I'm not doing close work. The eye doctor said it may be an optical migraine but I don't get headaches with it. I have sinus issues as well so it may be related to that but I've always had sinus issues and have never had this problem before. It looks like a circular floater with a bright spot in the center. I can even see it with my eyes shut. It's very aggravating since it makes it hard to read as it blurs my vision right in the center.  

My husband has had a white spot in his left eye for a while now and is still seeing it but he has not had a cold in almost a year.

Hi, following a headache three weeks ago I have had a continual fixed grey spot  in the central vision of my left eye, and my eye also flickers and twitches constantly. It is worse when I look at the computer screen, where it appears as a bright spot as if a camera flash has gone off in my face, and I have to wear dark glasses to see anything on the screen. The eye hospital did several tests and found my eye to be healthy. They have referred me to a neuro-ophthalmologist but I am still waiting for an appointment and I'm sure the grey spot is getting bigger! My nose has been stuffy all that time and I wonder if it's sinus related. Has anyone else had a problem of twitching with vision loss and been told what it is?  

Yup. I got a grey spot in my left eye, too. It happened right when I got sinus trouble.

I have been sick for about a week and have had a perfectly round spot in my left eye for the last 4 days. It is unlike a migraine spot due to its shape and duration. I think it is the same as what others are describing here. 

I was worried because I am 41 and had a stroke 3 years ago... but I think now that it is not related (hopefully).

Thanks everyone for the informative posts.

What you're talking about isn't the same thing. I get those all the time and I also got what these people are talking about recently when I got the flu.