I noticed yesterday that my collarbone where it meets my sternum is enlarged. It doesn't hurt, it isn't discolored or hot. I haven't had any injuries. It's hard and feels like bone. The lump or protrusion is about the size of a marble, maybe bigger. I've made an appointment with my physician next week but I'm a little worried. Is there possibly a lymph node located here?

Health Advisor
Yes, there are lymph nodes around collarbone. Since it is not so common for nodes to swell here, it id wise you made an appointment with a doc.

Although lymph nodes swell most commonly due to infections, the swelling of the nodes may indicate tumors as well. Now, don’t panic or anything, nothing is known until you are checked and possibly biopsed to see if there is anything there.
Now, there are other disease that could make nodes swell. Hyperthyroidism is one of them. Thyroid gland is situated in the neck, surrounding the windpipe. In hyperthyroidism, the gland is producing too much thyroid hormone causing different symptoms. Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis can also make your nodes swell.
Here is a post where you can read how it usually goes at the doctors’ regarding swollen nodes: https://www.steadyhealth.com/lump_above_right_clavicle__supraclavicular_t64007.html

I have a similar problem that my doctor has diagnosed as a dislocation of the collarbone at the sternum. Have you found a solution for your condition?

I have the same problem - Could you let me know what your doctor said?

Has anyone been to a doctor for this who can tell us what it is? I have the same thing also. I've read in the medical journals that a dislocated collar bone hurts but mine doesn't hurt at all - it is just jutting out on one side. It wasn't like this a year ago (I checked old photos), and I don't remember hurting it or anything. I've showed it to three doctors who all just said "I don't think it's anything to worry about". But if it's growing for no reason, it seems like SOMEone should be worrying about it, right? If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know. Thanks!

Hi

I have read your post regarding this as I have the same problem. After many weeks of worry on my behalf I made an appointment with my doctor, had some investigations done and have been told it is arthritis.

I have since found an article on the internet which basically describes my symptoms exactly

jbjs.org.uk/cgi/reprint/41-B/4/749.pdf

I hope this helps.

:-)

what you guys are describing is correct. You have either a trauma induced or congenital sternal-clavicular dislocation. This condition also causes a mild amount of arthritis due to the chronic dislocation/relocation of the clavicle into the sternum. If the area continues to grow and is cephalad (toward your head) from the clavicle, it is probably a lymph node. Definitely worth checking out. hope this helps
Student Doc

i have the same problem. it does not hurt, juz that i can heard some very soft "cracking" sounds at the joint when i'm moving my left arm. Wutz going on? someone know? also i did not injure it... i juz noticed the size difference today and i'm kinda worried. plz help me, thx..

I too nave been battling the enlarged clavicle bone. It didn't hurt at first but since being diagnosed it has become more painful as time goes by. They said it was a dislocated joint (mine is on the right side), and theere was nothing they could do for it and I would have to learn to live with it. They said they could not put it back in surgically and put a pin in to hold it in place as the main artery runs right behind it. Now they are considering me for disability since it I am in pain if I try tolift my right arm. Hope this is helpful.

Maggiebear,

My clavicle is dislocated at my sternum on the left side. I was told initially that they couldn't put a pin in because my heart is right there. It couldn't be popped back in place because my sternum was rotated as well. (I was in a car accident). So they removed part of the clavicle to help ease the pain (it kept it from grinding with the sternum). This helped for about 4 years. Recently (well last year) I went to a new orthopedic surgeon who shaved off the end of the joint and used a cadaver ligament to "reattach" it to the sternum. This has actually helped ALOT with the pain. I still occasionally have pain, but not near what i was having. you might want to look into that so that you dont have to go on disability. It does take a long time to recover (it hasn't been a year yet so I'm still working on it myself) but its worth it in my opinion.

I had a prodruding collar bone and a drooping shoulder for about 7 years. i finally went to a chiropractor. He adjusted my back, between my shoulder blades, and worked on my shoulder a bit. I eventually figured out a way to put my shoulder back, but i couldnt do it before i got my back adjusted. here is what i did:

If your right shoulder is bad, touch your spine with your right hand, right below the base of your neck by reaching over the top of the shoulder. Keep your arm on the same side of your neck as the injured shoulder. rotate your shoulder down, back and up and over and forward (or simply put, in a counter-clockwise direction). for me it locked up going forward, but when i pushed through it, it popped. it hurt the first time, and sometimes still, but my shoulder moved forward and doesnt droop nearly as bad.

for the collar bone, i use my left hand to push my right collar bone at the sternum, then lift my shoulder and push into it. it will pop at the sternum and at the AC, above the shoulder. i did this many times a day. you have to keep doing it till the ligaments and tendons grow around the new position.

PS. popping your own joints is always a little risky. i recommend a chiropractor. as for me, i couldnt begin to fix my shoulder until my back was adjusted, which i couldnt do on my own. i suppose i should say, i claim no responsibility if you injure yourself doing what i said. do it at your own risk, but it worked for me. just know your limits and dont risk it.

sorry, i forgot to mention in my last post that my collar bone protrusion is almost completely gone. my shoulder doesnt droop, my right pectoral muscle is growing (my left was much larger due to my right shoulder not being able to properly support weight.)

after a huge snowboarding fall in italy last year, i dislocated my collar bone at the sternum

you wouldn't get this kind of injury without noticing, trust me

i still suffer problems 10 months on, and am being passed from specialist to specialist :-(

I had hardware removed from my back in Oct.2008. The next day I was home when my son asked what was wrong with my arm. The shoulder was frozen and I am still in physical therapy; however my sc joint is swollen and nothing so far seems to alleviate the pain or swelling. I asked to have it aspirated and he gave me a steroid injection right on top of it. He's sending me to have a CT and MRI this week. I feel stupid to have all of that done, but it hurts, protrudes, and won't get better. This is the first time I've shared, but from what most of you describe, those are my symptoms also.

I injured my shoulder in rugby and they hospital originally thought i had dislocated my collarbone at the sternum. However they could not see this on the x-rays and put my arm in a sling and gave me pain killers. It is now 3 weeks later and i am still in pain. had a CT scan yesterday and am waiting for the results. Its worrying me because i have not got full movement in my shoulder and i have a lump on my sternum where the collarbone joint is and it feels like bone. Has anyone got any idea of what it is?

Thanks