For several months Ive noticed an achy feeling (less of a muscle pain, more of a nerve pain) just under my left clavicle. It began as a creepy feeling where my bra strap was...I remember constantly asking my husband if there was something there...and over time it has radiated from the original area up the neck and towards the area under my ear, directly behind my jaw...kinda where I would take my pulse.

Like some others I have read about I tend to be a bit of an "assumer" and dont want to bother the dr. with soemthing that is nonsense....Its so close to major veins and arteries that I am worried.

However, the achiness I ignored before is becoming harder to ignore now. I do not notice any obvious lumps or swellings, no discolorations, no abnormalities....I am 30 years old , 5ft 2in, 185lbs with a crappy high carb typical american diet. I just had my 4th child about 6 weeks ago.

Am I making something out of nothing? I still keep moving my bra strap over because it feels like its pressing on something or like something is there. There is definitely a sensation there that I did NOT previously experience.

Jen

what your discribing is very similar to how i feel tho your minus the lumps, i was in a car crash one year ago and amoung other things recieved a deep bone bruising to the right clavicle due to my seatbelt, i was xrayed and no fracture was found, the bruising went away but i was left with a large bonelike lump mid clavicle, apart from a dull ache and the wiered feeling you talk about it seemed fine but fore weeks ago it started to become increasingly painful like a serious toothachey pain radiating outwards, up my neck, down into my breats and all areas of my shoulder with occasional sharp stabbing pains that have become more frequent, it also seemed to be getting bigger, i noticed the sternum end appeared to have moved down about an inch and outwards slightly yet i couldnt think of anything i'd done to have caused this as im not very mobile due to my other injuries. then just over two weeks ago the sternum end started to swell and has quickly matched the size of the first with hardly any space between the two so my clavicle isnt visable now at all, i've been on antiflamitories since the accident and their having no impact on the swelling what so ever. i've been to two doctors and was finnaly sent for a standard xray yesterday and am awaiting the results now tho they will take about a week to come back, im very worried as i've just noticed the gland under my armpit is very tender now also tho it doesnt appear to be swollen, if anyone has been through anything simmilar i'd be very greatful to hear their comments, thankyou, and sorry i couldnt be more helpful myself patreena but your in my thoughts.

I just wanted to post and say that I have the swelling on my clavicle right where the seat belt comes down. I was in an accident and my symptoms are headaches, neck pain on left side but have ear pain in both ears, jaw pain and shoulder pain,nausea when headaches are bad. It has been one year to date for this accident. It is getting hard to want to do things concentrate and get upset very easily. Just tired of the pain. So far the swelling seems strange to the doctors I have went to. I have had 3 MRI's and they show nothing except lymph nodes that are swollen that they want me to now go to and ENT to see what they say. Going from Doctor to Doctor is depressing

I also have same feeling of the pain in my left clavicle. My pain is very similar with Patreena. I didn't have any accident. But it is very painful for like a week. The pain is hard to describe and difficult to tell where it comes from. I'm a student studying in Philippines. So,....it is hard for me to go to the doctor with minor illness. Please,.. any suggestion???

Aye Min

Did you find out what it was op?

what you guys are describing sounds very much like some kind of strain, RSI, tension etc of the sternokleidomastoid muscle. It is a long muscle which is attached to your collarbone and sternum (right at that little notch at the base of your neck) and reaches up to the base of your skull, attaching to a spot right behind your ear. Common symptoms are neck ache, shoulder pain, ear ache, funny pain nad sensations up the side of your face. I hurt mine a little while ago just lifting a heavy box and now have problems with everyday little things like checking over my should when Im changing lanes while driving. A physio who specialises in upper body or head and neck things should be able to help.

Have any of you looked into Thoracic Outlet Syndrome? Please don't assume this is it because you may have a more serious or emergent problem, but it is worth reading about.

I'm 14 and this pain radiates from my left wrist all the way to behind my left ear like it was first described. Not much pain is in my shoulder, except for maybe the front of it. I'm pretty sure I haven't had any accidents a long time ago that may have caused this. I'm absolutely miserable with it. My left arm feels weak when I'm feeling pain. It seems like it radiates all over my tip top left side. School's starting in a month, and I don't want to have to go through with all this pain all day, especially if I have to do push-ups... which I don't think I'll be able to do (not just becuase of the pain). I'll look up what the last reply on this was about, and then see what happens from there... I'm glad I found this reference.

I am a Nurse- and I am also a massage Therapist. What I hear you describing I help many of my clients with by doing massage. This is a key area to do massage (preventative treatment ) especially for clients with headaches , you are discribing where the "sterno clydo mastoid" muscle connects to the bones ,(to help facilitate a muscle to release it is important to massage the connecting points or places where the muscle's attaches), for this muscle it is there on the clavicle and also from there runs up to attach under the jaw where you described. I suggest that you get a massage from a qualified therapist. It is important that the therapist takes there time with releasing the muscle -0 one should never flinch in pain from massage and realize that release may take more than one treatment , but that it is a most brilliant form of treatment and personally I myself as well as many who I have known have been not only helped but cured from many discomforts and who have even avoided sugary with a long term commitment to Body work healing.

Thank You for this information. I came here looking for help from this same type pain. Left collar bone dull ache for about a month now. Last year I had a massage at a wonderful spa in upper New York. I had been suffering from low back pain for about two years. I could not lay on my back longer than about 20 minutes or my back would seem to lock up and I would need help rolling over to get myself up. While I was at this spa I had 2 massages on 2 different days, by 2 different people.The first day she focused mostly on my lower back since that was my issue. Two days later, I went back for the second massage by a different woman. I asked her to focus mostly on my upper back since my lower back had already had a good work over, but she continued to keep focusing on my lower back. She held pressure on several different points on my glutes, it hurt. She could tell I was in pain and apologized, but said I had tremendous pressure there and she was trying to release it, and that she could lighten up a bit if I wished. Since at the time I had some other issues also going on with inflammation, I said yes please lighten up just a bit, but she sounded like she knew what she was talking about so I trusted her to continue. When my day at the spa was done, I think I was actually mad at her for not following my request to focus on my upper back. What a dope I was. That night I slept as usual on my side only spending short bouts on my back since I had conditioned myself to this way of sleeping. It was not until about three days later once I was home laying on my bed reading that I noticed no lower back pain. I was so shocked and surprised. That was one year ago and it has never some back. I wish I knew what it was she pressed on that released the pressure on my low back, she really knew what she was doing. I am very thankful to that woman :)

There are a few more things to consider: for the pain from the wrist to the shoulder--a pinched nerve. For the other shoulder pain: atypical presentation of heart related pain. It's common for women to experience atypical symptoms of angina. Also could be referred heartburn. I had this type of pain and a family history of coronary artery disease, so I had a full cardiac work up which came back normal. Then, slowly, I began to realize that the ache was in correlation to other extremely mild symptoms of heartburn, or in situations where I could typically anticipate heartburn. The problem was referred heartburn pain. When you feel it, take an antacid and see what happens. If that's not it, no harm, right?

HAVE YOU CHECKED FOR BREAST CANCER?

I have had similar pain. It could be related to posture issues because of where I have my keyboard when I type. Many months ago, I had similar problem at work. It was corrected by moving keyboard & mouse from top of desk to a keyboard tray that I placed under my desk. Now that I'm working at home and do not have the keyboard tray, I notice the pain has come back. My keyboard is on my desk, but to type this out I placed the keyboard on my lap. But I need to move the mouse location, too. I noticed that I tend to use my neck when I roll over in bed, too.

what ever you do   

do not  leave it  if it is a dull ache in your left collar bone shoulder area

i have just finished 10 mths of chemo and radiation 

due to being dx with locally advanced breast cancer  in feb this year

due to a lump coming up on my left collar bone after a rotar cuff operation on my right shoulder    surgeon   thought it was nothing   g p  thought it was nothing    g p send me for an ultra sound    and  the ultra sound man  ran around like a head less chook     coz they was a 52cm tumour sitting there

so  dont delay   

I can't really afford that.. but I'm so frustrated with this feeling.. are there no other suggestions?