Hi, I was in the hospital for two weeks, and I am very disappointed with certified nurse assistant. I when I called a nurse for help because I was in pain, she was very unpleasant and even looked angry because I disturbed her nap. I could never imagine I would experience something like this.

Hi, I had a similar experience with CNA. I was in the hospital visiting my mother who had a surgery. She was in lot of pain, so I went to get nurse assistance. The nurse told me she’ll be right here, but I waited for 10 minutes while my mother was sweating and almost screaming of pain. I went again, and this time I told her to come immediately, because my mother needs some painkillers. She looked at me surprised, told me not to be rude and hysterical and continued doing something else. In that moment, I thought I could smack her on the face. Is that a proper CAN? Is that what you get when you’re in agonizing pain after the surgery? I was very disappointed and if something like this happens again, I swear I’ll sue CAN.

I understand and relate with your frustration. You have to understand, however, that it is NOT the CNA's job to administer medicine. The most a CNA can do is alert the nurse to the patients pain and comunicate the need for painkillers. All the CNA is there to do is the general care of a patient. IE: Change linens, wipe bottoms, showers/baths, feed, change patients postion, dress, transport, ambulate, and comunicate needs to the nurse. With the exception of food a CNA has nothing to do with what goes into the body. IE: Medicine, catheters, IV's, even toe nail clipping because of risk to infection of toes.
It is very frustrating to see a family member in pain but, you have to remember, the CNA and the nurse have about 10 other people requesting the same thing at the same time. We try as best as possible to attend to all needs as fast as we can but, sometimes you have to wait. We do what we can when we can. Hope that helpsa little bit to understand everyone's side of the picture.

That is the reason why I decided to become a CNA. They're not all bad. When I was volunteering in a nursing home I saw things that had saddened me. The staff could had been doing a better job with taking care of patients but even the patients visitor's treated them mean. With all the money the patients family is putting into these homes they should have better care, and not only the money but these patients are also human and expect to be tooken care of in a home or hospital with respect. I am sure the patients are not there for fun. If you get a job that you are not happy with then you should find another rather than making the people around you miserable. I promise I will only treat my patients with the respect they deserve. From Cna to Lpn to Rn I will become, and making a difference. People like you inspire me to want to make a difference. That I will do. I and sorry you had bad experiences with these people.