I work in various health care facilitys as a CNA. I was wondering If I could get a more indepth look at what to really look out for in the way of common infectious disease control. I would hate to catch anything and bring it home to my family. Maybe I could get a few names of diseases and look them up for further research?

Ok, now I don’t know what exactly CNA’s do but if you operate with needles, you should certainly watch for needle and try not to sting yourself. You could get infected with any of the incurable viruses like HIV, hepatitis and although you won’t spread the disease to your family, your health could be impaired (and your husband’s).

Other things you should watch for are different microorganisms but they present more threat to the hospital patients than the stuff.
Infection acquired in hospitals are called nosocomial infections. Most of the pathogens are bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites. From bacteria, the most common ones are: Enterococcus spp.,Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas spp. and Staphylococcus aureus. Like I said, patients are in more danger than stuff is because ther immune systems are much weaker, plus some of these pathogens present normal flora of the nurses’ skin and may be resistant to many antibiotics considering they are in hospitals.
The most common sites that these pathogens could enter the “victim” are urinary tract, surgical wounds, respiratory tract, skin (through burns and cuts), blood, gastrointestinal tract and CNS.
As a nurse assistant you need to make sure these pathogens don’t cross to the patients by regular hand-wash. Regular washing means before each patient contact.