Today is Monday Sept 7th. My mom just underwent a craniotomy for a 3cm sized Meningioma pressing against her brain in her left temple area. The operation was Aug 28th & took 6hrs. She asked to leave the hospital to do out patient rehabilitation & was realeased Fri sept 4th. None of us apparently realized, knew, or were told what to expect after. I am extremely upset about this & every time I see her I just want to cry. I thought she would of course be in pain from the staples in her head & would be tired, but it is so much worse. She can't walk herself....walks slow with a walker. Her speech is slow & very weak sounding. She sounds & acts like she's either mentally retarded or like she's messed up on drugs. The only drugs she's on are the anti seizure, a steroid, & for pain only taking Tylenol. She refuses the Norco because it upsets her stomach. My stepdad has been having to help her shower, wash her hair, brush her hair, dress her. He only helps when he has to knowing that she needs to be atleast "trying" to do it herself 1st. The good thing is that she can follow every conversation & responds just not well. I feel so bad for her. The doctor should have really counceled us on all of this. I realize everyones recovery is different, but he could have told us what could be & now I don't know if any of this is right. Has anyone else gone through this? I really need some more insight of any sort. Please help :-(

Hi Jennifer, I'm sorry to hear that you're going through all these. Have you spoken to your doctor about it? I think it would be worth your time to talk to him at the very least to figure out what's going on and what's normal. It sounds like she is doing pretty well so hang in there. Keep us updated okay?

Jennifer, I totally understand what you are going through. My mother had her craniotomy for a meningioma October 31, 2011. I am a Nurse and and so is my niece.  We all thought we were prepared pre and post surgery. My mother has an awesome surgeon, who explained everything, except like you somethings we did not expect and I am still concerned about. Surgery went very well. My mother seemed to be recovering very quickly. Once we came home she seemed out of it the day of discharge. The night Nurse had given her ALL meds at once instead of following orders and splitting up at different hours. Can't trust everyone regardless of what field or their career is!!! She was still drugged "overdosed!! It took about 24hrs for her to seem herself again. It has been 5 days now since she has been home, today and yesterday were horrible. She seems like she is on drugs just like you say about your mom, weak legs. She is on her steroids and Keppra. The Keppra seems to totally knocked her out. She can't even open her eyes and walks with assistance. I pray it's the med and we can lower the dose soon or even discontinue. It was given as a preventative for seizures.  My mother was and I know with God's will, she will be again the very active woman she was. Gym everyday, busy around the house, helping neighbors, helping the church, she could run circles around me! To see her this way has taken a toll on me, physically and mentally. I would rather go through this myself than see her this way. It totally crushes me. My parents are everything to me. We do trust in the Lord which has given us the strength to go through this. My parents are like two peas in a pot! As for Rehab, I did the same, I thought I could do it myself at home with her but you know, that's why there exists Physical Therapists, so let's leave it up to them. As of Monday, I will be ordering her Physical Therapy at home. Trust in the Lord and pray. Your mom will be fine, just a long process sometimes. I feel your pain. Do not hesitate to sit and talk with your mom's surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have. It is their job to explain as much as possible and help ease the worries within the family. Best wishes..:-(

These things can be recovered from! My own craniotomy was 3 1?2 months ago. Your Mom needs physical, occupational and perhaps speech therapy. I was in the same shape. Now I am fine. My insurance covered in - home therapy. Tell, don't ask, her doctor to please order it. I'm very surprised he didn't. With prayer & a positive outlook therapies work wonders! Be patuent as it is a process. Headaches and sensitivity can last for a year. Muscle & nerve endings are healing. Use more the 1.type of pain reliever. It seems the doctor isn't communicating very well with you. Maybe the insurance company can better serve you. I wish your family blessings and the best of luck!

Jennifer I missed an important point! Use a dry spray shampoo on your Mom's hair and cover her head w a shower cap when she is washed. Don't let the water run onto her head. Her head shouldn't get wet or hair be shampooed until after the staples are removed. I bit my tongue before, but consider sharing your questions and concerns with your Mom's medical insurance company. Personally I would find a different doctor. Its just my opinion but I feel you were never well-informed and proper care is not being provided for by him or her. I wish you the best.