Its eight months since my hip replacement. I have done exactly what the physio has told me me but I am still limping worse than I was before the operation. I cannot stand on my operated leg without holding on and cannot walk far without a stick. The physio has given me excersises to strengthen the muscle which I have been doing for the past 3 months. I have recently been back to the hospital for a six months check and was told that the prime course for the operation was to get you pain free and thats what they've done. So it looks as though I am stuck with a stick for the rest of my life, which I am very disappointed in. 

Hi Yeos,

Unfortunately what you are experiencing is not uncommon. 

Not all doctors do a good job in explaining the outcome from such a procedure.  It's not always their fault.  Often the patient only hears what they want.  That's human nature.  The patient also doesn't understand what's involved fully so may not ask all the pertinent questions of the doctor.

I do think there should be procedure before such procedures where the patient meets patients that have had such surgeries or something similar.  The doctor can't answer every question as they've likely never undergone the procedure.

Keep working on getting the muscles stronger, it will help. 

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply... I do realise that its not always the doctors fault. I did do quite a bit of reseach beforehand so I did know the majority of what was involved. I just feel very disappointed in their attitude since. I am not confrontational so I accept everything without any comment. I'm not sure whether that would be a very good idea of meeting patients prior to the op that have had the precdure as I was very nervous beforehand anyway and I personally think I may have not had it done. all.

I had total r hip replacement 8 months ago. This is the first week that I am walking without a cane. It is very uncomfortable, I am limping and was told the muscles have to be built up. I exercise every day, I am very very active. The pain is tolerable, so I suppose I will be a cripple for life, as I will never under go another hip replacement surgery. I never had any difficulty walking before, was an Athlete, runner, hiker, avid dancer. Now I'm not sure if I'll be able to dance and the walking is difficult. I am so disappointed. I do my exercise, mobile bike, so maybe I need to wait another year!!!!! oh well..............

This has been most interesting reading in respect of I too am 8 months post total hip replacement. I as a result of a motor cycle accident broke my right femur in September 1975 and as a direct result lost 3cm of leg length. Need I say this loss of bone length resulted in my having to have a hip replacement in 2012. During my consultation with the Surgeon who measured my defective hip/leg told me/confirmed the leg was 3cm shorter than the other however he can give me back in respect of the hip replacement the lost 3cm. I am disolussioned as it feels my leg is now much shorter than 3cm and have inherited a serious limp. Question: Does this sound unique and possible?

How long did you limb ? I
had the surgery in April 2013. I am still limbing and it is discouraging. X-rays show no length discrepancy. My doctor says I need to strengthen the muscles. I have exercising since I left the hospital !

I too have the same problem as well as the same time frame as Surgery. I've been to my Dr and he said the limping can go on for a year. I'm not in pain thank God, but the pain is in my groin area, not the hip. I also need both of my knees replace, plane on having one done this May. Hang in there, it's going to get better,IJName.

Hi. It is now April, 2017, and I am wondering how you are. Is your profound limp gone by now?

Hi Sadie. It is April 2017, and I am wondering you feel today. Are you still limping?