Do other catholic diabetics keep with the fasting laws? If so, do you still check your blood sugar? And if it's low, what do you do? I'm wondering if it's low and I wait to eat if that's okay. Or should I go ahead and not take any risks and eat?

Although I must respect the religious traditions of my patients, I'm advising that that you do what is best for your body and protect your health. In most every religion, and I've studied the dogma of quite a few, there is a provision where if fasting is called for, and a person has an illness, the fast can be broken or altered without fear of retribution or being ostracized. Seek support of your congregation if you have one, or here, if you've found a community for support with your decision. My advice is absolutely to test your sugar, and I know that is permitted. 

No I don't pay any attention to the fasting laws of Catholicism. My health and staying alive and not ending up in the hospital are my priorities. Besides with the new liberal pope that we have, I'm pretty sure he'd tell me to eat something instead of him needing to pray over my body because I thought I wouldn't get into heaven because I had a banana! If you feel you want to keep with the traditions, do what the nurse said and at least test your sugar. You'll know how close you are to getting seriously ill and possibly having to go to the hospital, where it won't matter what the fasting laws are, because they'll make you eat!