Hi Everyone.

I am a recovered Cocain and Crack Addict of 14 years. I would like to share my experiances to help anyone who wants help. Here is my story.

I am a recovered Cocain Addict. Quitting was the toughest thing I ever did, but I did it, and I'd like to share HOW. I have been clean since Sept 15th 1994. I did have slips, especially at first. Yes, it seems that anything, or anyone associated with the drug in my life triggered cravings. Another big thing that triggered cravings was Emotional Pain.

For me, the craving would start, and I would get that chemical release I guess, and the craving would just grow and grow. Sometime talking to my sponsor would help me get through it. Sometimes nothing helped and I would end up using. Here is how I finally figured out how to kill the cravings and keep moving forward.

You know how when you use? You feel numb... Just a sence of peacefullness and wellbeing? Ok... WELL GET OVER IT! Come on.. PUSH PAST THAT MEMORY. NOW REMEMBER, REALLY DIG DOWN AND REMEMBER, HOW IT FEELS TO RUN OUT AND NOT BE ABLE TO GET ANY MORE DRUGS!
Yeah... That's it... Remember??? The PANIC???? The MAJOR ANXIETY ATTACKS???? The CARPET CRAWLING, with the sickening knowledge that even if you find another rock,,,, there is NO MORE AFTER YOU SMOKE IT????

Ok.. So now your in that SUPER state of panic and anxiety... Your back is starting to hurt from being all tensed up and the Hours just keep slowly, endlessly dragging by, and you start to which that you were DEAD??? You can't Sleep? You can't Cope??? and then the GUILT starts to set in.....

Finally, you manage to fall asleep. When you wake up, you still don't feel right, and the SHAME HITS YOU. The shame and the guilt.... and guess what? LIFE IS GOING ON ALL AROUND YOU!!! You have responsibilities... to perhaps a job? Kids? a partner? friends? and your good for absolutely NOTHING.

You get extremely depressed now, and you start thinking about suicide... You can't face what you've done... You can't face ANYONE... YOUR BROKE, your stuff is PAWNED OFF..... and you HATE YOURSELF MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THE WORLD.

OK.......... Now........... Are you still craving the drug?

NO??? Yeah... Me neither! NOT AT ALL.

That is how I did it. That is how I got through ALL of my cravings, even the VERY worst ones.... It is SOOO simple.

You just have to VIVIDLY remember coming down off that sh*t, and the person HELL you have to endure to do it. Stop fantasizing on and romantisizing the drug in your mind,, the peacefullness and emotional numbness.... PUSH PAST THAT... to where the hell starts and you HAVE to start coming down..... THEN LINGER ON THOSE HELLISH MEMORIES.

I guarantee the craving will disappear.

And as for having cravings for the rest of your life????? In my experiance that is totally untrue. I have not craved cocain in so long, I can't really remember..... Honestly!

Naturally, I have disassociated myself with ANYTHING or ANYONE that has ANYTHING to do with it... and that helps alot. But, for the odd or stray craving that may come up from time to time.... I JUST REMIND MYSELF TO PUSH PAST IT, AND REMEMBER COMING DOWN, AND THE HELL I WILL SUFFER BECAUSE OF IT. Bingo! No craving!!! It's MAGIC!

If I could quit using drugs, Anyone can. I am nothing special. And I was HEAVILY addicted. I used needles and smoked crack. I even O.D.ed a couple of times... There wasn't anything I wouldn't do to get more drugs to avoid coming down. Now I don't think addiction gets any worse than that..... So, buck up! Use your Memory to help you kill those cravings. You can do it. ;-) After all,,, I did! :-D

Thats Awesome! Not to rain on your parade but Cocaine is spelled with an "e" as the last letter.

dont lie you were never addicted

How do you know when someone is really ready to stop or only just saying he is because its what you want to hear?  I don't want to harp on him if its not going to be helpful. I've tried more than one approach. First, I was unaware of the addition before he moved in, I told him this is not what I sign up for you have to go.  He said he would go to treatment but he has not. As far as I know he only does is once a month.  He could be hiding more.  I don't want to be with someone who has this problem.  He says he's sorry he'll stop, but then he does it again. He gets angry and acts entitled at times.  How do I help him to stop and if he really doesn't want to how do I get him to recognize that? He won't talk to me about it unless I get so angry and tell him to leave and then he only begs for another chance, blames me, says I don't love him enough and I wanted an excuse,or acts like his life will be over.  I'm smarter than this I'm just not sure how to recognize if he really wants to stop and needs help or if he is just taking advantage of me to the utmost. 

He never going to quit...until he really wants to do it...he going to loose u and everything he has before he realised that he got a problem...I'm marry for 5 years with an adicted he being in jail 3 times and relapsed every time...he told me ...he going to quit for our child and never did my son is 3 years old and I'm pregnant again because I still love him..but enough is enough at this point I believe ...he never gonna be ready to quit...they don't care nothing else but that piece of rock....move on with ur life u deserve be with somebody really loves you....don't stop your life for somebody so selfish....good luck!!

i just read this girl friend who is in rehab!!! I don't know if she gets it or not

Very true to tell the truth and put the attention on the reality is the correct aspect and the cravings were terrible get feelings of you liked the sensations your thinking is right it was crazy still get cravings and delusions of the good times even though like you it was hell thanks for that cheers

I found this article so very well said thank you its very black and white which for me is of paramount importance Ive been off crack for just over one year. It robbed me of all i hold dear in this life I had to just wake up that one precious day and say no more. You have laid out in very clear terms what users including myself must never ever forget The despair , guilt , self loathing and deep awfull depression I rest my head on my pillow tonight with true thanks for sharing what you did so that any who may read this can feel the happiness that comes from redemption.

I think this is rally nice post.which tells and even motivates perople those who are addicted and want to over come to it.