I'm curious if others experience this. I run during my lunch hour when I'm at work and then eat my lunch at my desk. Several hours after running, I get these wicked cravings for junk food. We have a snack/vending machine in the office and i want to move my desk beside it for easy access.

Does anybody else experience this? Is there something my system lacks that I shoud try and supplement to stop this? What are some other alternatives that will satisfy the craving without being contradictory to my excercise?

Yes, I have experienced these wicked cravings. Man, they can be hellabad.

The only thing I was able to do was replace the food I was craving with a lower fat/lower cal version and having a measured amount. Also, I allotted for it in my calories--in other words, I planned/allowed myself a treat.

Nothing demoralizes a body quicker than to be denied everything it used to have.

yes particularly during higher mileage.
oh, and the junk food at my work is just sitting around free for the taking. Talk about a battle of will power.

I crave salt. I've also been known to crave runners. :P

[I've also been known to crave runners.]
lol, elkid

i have cravings for anything with peanut butter... and of course...chocolate!!

Do they taste good? I would think high in salt and VERY low in fat. Kinda like, fat free potatoe chips? :P
Any suggestions on what to eat? I've heard Power bars might be a good alternative? I don't want to take in extra protien sources unnecessarily. I'm not training for no marathon or nothing, just trying to lose a couple of pounds.

Sounds like some form of torture. Where I work, there used to be this manager that brought in donuts and cakes and cookies like, every second day. I always said it was a way of fattening us up before selling us as slaves to aliens as a food source.

I have had very bad experiences with Powerbars so I do not eat them anymore. EVAH. I do have their energy bites on the bike and they're good - more granola like. Why are you so concerned about not taking in extra protein? That would be your best way to lose a few pounds, since your alternative would be excessive carbs or fat.

I like powerbars in the mornings because they fit my routine well(I like to eat something small before I run, then a real breakfast after). Not all of them taste great, and of the ones that do taste pretty decent, I'd never really get a craving for them. I guess it's better than just loading up on chocolate though.

:shrug: I only run about 4 times a week and work out a little (ride bike and other stuff on weekends) so I didn't think it was really necessary to take protien supplements, like the protien shakes. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong? I agree extra carb's are not the way to go. What about granola or nuts? Would they be a better solution? I have to admit, it's sugar that I crave when I get this way so something like peanuts or other nuts woudn't satisfy it.

Oh, I didn't know you meant supplements. I'd agree with you on that. I only drink protein shakes after long workouts, for recovery/rebuilding purposes. For me Swedish Fish and Flavorice work to rid myself of sugar cravings. I also like Nabs and almonds after swims. Clif Bars, too. Chocolate milk is also great.

Well that's what someone mentioned to me. "you need to drink protien shakes after excercising." Ok. I don't think it would suffice the craving. I like your suggestions a lot. I'll have to find out about Swedish Fish and Nabs. Though I've never heard of Clif Bars, I'm sure I can them here in Canada. Thanks :thumbsup:

Nabs = crackers with PB or cheese between them. This may be a Northeast US term for them (short for Nabisco, I think) - most people don't know then as "pack o' Nabs".

Mmmm stop it you tease, you're making me hungry.

Not sure about the actual brand names but I know I can get an equivalent some where. I never thought about peanut butter crackers. That would probably satisfy the craving and be healthy. Good choice.

Thanks again.

Reading this food thread has made me hungry and I have a race in 2 hours!!!