Hi there, I am a male who is 46 years old and I am an alcoholic. I have many problems with pancreatitis. What should I do? I don't want to quit drinking. Tell me that I don't have to. Does anyone have similar problems? If there is, could you tell me what to do? Thank you all in advance.

Hello, interesting question. Don't be angry but if you don't want to hear the truth then you shouldn't ask a question. The answer is that you have to end your drinking and that way everything in your life will be better, if you try hard. You should go to the doctor as well. Your family will feel an improvement too. Please listen to my advice. I just want to wish you a good luck, Godspeed.

I'm 26 and went to the doctor for what i thought was a pancreatitis, but turned out to be a digestive problem. When i was there they did tell me about pancreatitis and the horrible effects. Getting mild pancreatitis can be self healed by stopping drinking for long periods of time, but once you get advanced pancreatitis there is no cure. I'd guess you've been heavily drinking for years and it's taken it's toll on your body. You really need to stop drinking now or else your days will be numbered.

I have been hospitalized 3 times for pancreatitis due to my drinking alcohol and i'm sorry to say that your going to have to stop drinking. The doctor told me if i keep drinking i will die. He said my pancreas couldn't take another big hit. I dont know how many times you have been hospitalised with pacreatitis but let me tell ya, the pain gets worse everytime you get it. The third time i got it i was praying for death the pain was so bad, and it doesnt subside either. I've been sober for a year now and never plan to drink again because i know that if theres a next time in the hospital, it would be my last. I'm not ready to die and i don't want to suffer with that pain again...EVER. So just hang up the alcohol man, trust me.

The old alcohol, does it to everyone, even myself. I aquired pancreatitis several years ago, with no prevail I continued to drink on a daily basis, when I would feel the pain coming on, I either drank more to mask it, or I stopped drinking for a few days. Sadly alcohol is a very difficult addiction, and stopping is almost not an alternative if you are in fact a true addict of alcohol. Pancreatitis is deadly and will kill you, maybe the next time you are in the hospital with a tube in your nose and pain so severe you want to dye, thank the old can of booze, while you may not be here long, the booze will be. Stop drinking today, forever, choose something to replace though. I chose lemon water, or water with lemon, let me tell ya, I drink more water than a camel stores. Kind of tells you the kind of drinker I was. Once you stop alcohol you will be amazed at the class of living you will aspire. Better life, better health, better feelings. Stop drinking!

I am a 28 yr old female and I have been hospitilized 5 times in the last 20months with alcohol induced pancreatitis. I am an alcoholic and I am scared. I don't know how I will stop drinking but I know I must in order to live. Can someone give me some good advice?

thankx for advice i hope your feeling will change me.am sure that i can come out from this very soon
=========
jack

This is a comprehensive addiction portal focusing on topics of alcohol and drug abuse. http://www.alcoholaddiction.org

Interesting .... I have pain as well

my brother was just diagnosed with alcohol induced pancreatitis....he is only 20. I do not consider him an alcoholic. Why at such a young age must he suffer? He drinks and parties with the boys, thats it! Could they have misdiagnosed it?

I'm a 28yr old guy from the uk. I was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis 10 months ago and told then to go t-total. I couldn't do it though, i loved the drink too much and had been a regular (every night) drinker for 11 years. So i started again after 5 weeks (and i thought that was a long time dry), with 2 nights in a row of boozing, and by that 2nd day i was in agony and pretty rock bottom low. So i stopped for a week (it took that long to calm down), then started again with a couple of beers here or there, which i could handle but i had a general level of pain all the time and was pretty much incapacitated. Also i'd tend to have a bit of a binge or go on the wine every couple of weeks which bought on the major pain/attacks. Looking back i never enjoyed that boozing cause i was in too much pain and pretty low, i couldn't even sit in a chair and feel comfortable, and on the heavy sessions there were some nights i thought i was on the way out. On the 18th june this year i gave up after drinking 10 pints at an air show (i wasn't too bad the next day surprisingly, but i wasn't happy and booze wasn't what it used to be). I still have background pain but it's not nearly as bad, i can't work yet and i'm not exactly happy, but that may change (which it wouldn't do if i was drinking).
So i think you have to think how important is that boozing to you? And if you had to lie on a bed of nails everytime you had a drink would it be enjoyable or worth it?
One more thing, i do know a guy who was hospitalized with alcoholic pancreatitis several times around 20 yrs ago, he was a huge drinker. He dried up for 2 years and later went back to drinking. He now drinks average of about 6/7 pints of beer a day and is totally fine, no background pain like me. So there is hope! I'm leaving it a while though, don't know about you. (ne1 want to chat i'm at oli2819 at yahoo.co.uk). Thanks for reading. Mahalo

I am the WIDOW of a 42 yr old alcoholic who passed away 2wks ago. My husband drank for a long time. If you don't think it will happen to you, think again. Pancreatitis is serious and it DOES kill. If you have been diagnosed with it, stop drinking or you will die. My husband didn't listen to his body telling him to stop. He died of septic shock and a necrotizing pancreatitis. He had been being fed through an IV for 2 months and his pancreas never improved. Don't think this happens to other people and your alcoholism isn't that bad. That's what my husband thought. He was a wonderful man with alot of potential but couldn't beat the addiction. I miss him alot. I would encourage any alcoholic out there to run to AA. My husband never gave AA a chance. It does work and it saves lives if you want to live. 42 yrs old is too young to die a horrible death from pancreatitis.

My mother in law is an alcoholic and addic with pancreatic. We don't seem to get much information from her but we know she isn't doing well. She's been fed through IV for over 2 months at home. She has gone into a nursing home today. I fear that she's not going to be around much longer. Her lack of common sense is stressing out my husband. She's only 40 but has no will power. Does anyone know what we can expect or how to help her through it and stay sober? She goes to detox and rehad at least every 6 months which doesn't seem to stick. Any help would be appreciated.

The prospect of serious illness and/or death don't usually get an alcoholic to quit drinking. Go figure? But it's the truth.

I am an alcoholic. I quit drinking in '95 for 10 years. I relapsed on my 10th anniversary in February of 2005, and then stayed sober for another year or so. Ultimately, I convinced myself that I was "cured", and started drinking socially a year or so ago. Let me say this...there is NO CURE for the true alcoholic. I now know this unequivically--after 3 weeks of treatment and many, many AA meetings--I've come to realize that I have an allergy to alcohol. When I drink--just one drink--it sets up a pattern of craving and obsession. I never wanted just "one" drink. People who can drink normally can have one beer and quit and not even think about another beer for a week or a month.

If you question whether you are an alcoholic or even have a problem with drinking, try this for a year: Drink one 12oz beer, or one 5 oz glass of wine, or one cocktail with 1 oz of booze--on only one day a week, every week for a year. You can't save them up. You can't skip a week. If you can do this, then you're probably fine. If you can't...well...you figure it out.

Bottom line: there is help. Go find it and learn to live a happy sober life. Start with a google search of AA meetings in your area...and go. Don't be afraid. People who go to AA meetings are just like you!!

Hi there I am currently diagnosed and treated for chronic pancreatitis and I some what had the same issue were I did not want to stop drinking but once you are diagnosed and you are always hospitalized It is not worth it. It can get ugly if you continue to drink. Eventually it will come to a point were it may cost you your life. Consult with a doctor at Loma Linda Hospital I have been under treatment and seem to have it under controll. Believe me it will be hard but do you want life or death. That is whats gonna happen if you continue to drink..

Hi Young Lady.There is a simple cure. S-T-O-P. NOTHING else will do.I got hit 2yrs 9 mths ago.I lived a normal life.Had a good job.BUT I DRANK LIKE A SAILOR.I also hid it well.I was sitting down when I felt as though I had been hit by a train.The pain was horrendous.I had developed a Pseudocyst,and needed Gastrointestinal Surgery.I was told that to drink WAS TO DIE. There is no other way.I stopped immediately.If you or anyone else needs support or information I would be happy to share. _[removed]_ Be sure to put pancreatitis in the subject line.