I have a friend who has tried crack only few times in his life. Now he keeps telling me he is addicted and he has to continue. I cannot believe he could addict with less then 5 times that he has tried crack. When I told him to stop it, he claimed he could not take withdrawal effects. Can you tell me more about this, because I am despaired to find out the truth?

Crack is an extremely powerful drug, and its addiction is inevitable. The truth is once an individual has tried crack, they may be unable to predict or control themselves. Crack is probably the most addictive substance yet devised, so you could be free to believe your friend is already addicted. Crack users need more and more crack to attain the same high and avoid the intense crashes. They become physically and psychologically dependent on crack, which could be a result of only a few doses taken within a few days. This dependence on crack leads to crack addiction, so for now we could say he is only dependent. To balance off the intense lows, crack users often use other drugs, so that could be alcohol, hash or marijuana in addition to crack. Crack withdrawal symptoms include but are not limited to agitation, depression, intense craving for the drug, and extreme fatigue. There are reported and anxiety, angry outbursts, lack of motivation, nausea, vomiting, shaking, irritability, muscle pain, and disturbed sleep.

I have never smoked crack but I have injected cocaine. The crash was so damn awful from cocaine that I couldn't handle it. So, I don't do cocaine because the crash is too darn awful to justify the high. On a side note, I suffer from major episodic depression, so I can't help but wonder if the crash was doubly awful for me because of my depressive tendencies. Any thoughts, folks?

My daughter is 27 yrs old and is pleading for help to get her off of methodone. My heart aches day after day wanting her to be her normal self with confidence, energy and love. She has separated herself from all family and friends that are clean and working. She is exhausted and is now to 20mg per day and the clinic will not decrease her as she requests.
There is no medical excuse for her and she is has taken these medications without perscription or even researching the drug prior. It saddens me to know many parents are suffering because of the irrational behaviours of their children. What happends next with my daughter is unknown. She cries daily, hates life, and is scared to death, does not sleep and is pleading for help. One doctor wanted to put her on lithium and said she was bi polar. What is the matter with these doctors. Someone needs to start a clinic that these people can go to to withdraw and have support 24hours a day. She lives with a guy who is or has been a crack addict and eats pills til the cows come home.
My daughter has a great job and I am fearing she will not be able to help herself before it is too late. I have only seen my daughter maybe five times in the past two years as she knows I am disqusted with her and dispises her partner.
Does anyone know what would be the best treatment for her and if so what I can do. Beware she also take trazodome to sleep and smokes pot daily in order to get rest. She says her skin crawls and she feels like she is coming out of her skin. HELP PLEASE

I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about Methodone. I am trying to respond to the 3 posts about Cocain.

I believe that the very first time someone tries, and gets high from smoking Crack Cocain, they become instantly addicted. Psychologically anyway, if not altogether physically yet, but that part is quick to follow, trust me. Here is my story.

I am a recovered Cocain Addict. Quitting was the toughest thing I ever did, but I did it, and I'd like to share HOW. I have been clean since Sept 15th 1994. I did have slips, especially at first. Yes, it seems that anything, or anyone associated with the drug in my life triggered cravings. Another big thing that triggered cravings was Emotional Pain.

For me, the craving would start, and I would get that chemical release I guess, and the craving would just grow and grow. Sometime talking to my sponsor would help me get through it. Sometimes nothing helped and I would end up using. Here is how I finally figured out how to kill the cravings and keep moving forward.

You know how when you use? You feel numb... Just a sence of peacefullness and wellbeing? Ok... WELL GET OVER IT! Come on.. PUSH PAST THAT MEMORY. NOW REMEMBER, REALLY DIG DOWN AND REMEMBER, HOW IT FEELS TO RUN OUT AND NOT BE ABLE TO GET ANY MORE DRUGS!
Yeah... That's it... Remember??? The PANIC???? The MAJOR ANXIETY ATTACKS???? The CARPET CRAWLING, with the sickening knowledge that even if you find another rock,,,, there is NO MORE AFTER YOU SMOKE IT????

Ok.. So now your in that SUPER state of panic and anxiety... Your back is starting to hurt from being all tensed up and the Hours just keep slowly, endlessly dragging by, and you start to which that you were DEAD??? You can't Sleep? You can't Cope??? and then the GUILT starts to set in.....

Finally, you manage to fall asleep. When you wake up, you still don't feel right, and the SHAME HITS YOU. The shame and the guilt.... and guess what? LIFE IS GOING ON ALL AROUND YOU!!! You have responsibilities... to perhaps a job? Kids? a partner? friends? and your good for absolutely NOTHING.

You get extremely depressed now, and you start thinking about suicide... You can't face what you've done... You can't face ANYONE... YOUR BROKE, your stuff is PAWNED OFF..... and you HATE YOURSELF MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THE WORLD.

OK.......... Now........... Are you still craving the drug?

NO??? Yeah... Me neither! NOT AT ALL.

That is how I did it. That is how I got through ALL of my cravings, even the VERY worst ones.... It is SOOO simple.

You just have to VIVIDLY remember coming down off that sh*t, and the person HELL you have to endure to do it. Stop fantasizing on and romantisizing the drug in your mind,, the peacefullness and emotional numbness.... PUSH PAST THAT... to where the hell starts and you HAVE to start coming down..... THEN LINGER ON THOSE HELLISH MEMORIES.

I guarantee the craving will disappear.

And as for having cravings for the rest of your life????? In my experiance that is totally untrue. I have not craved cocain in so long, I can't really remember..... Honestly!

Naturally, I have disassociated myself with ANYTHING or ANYONE that has ANYTHING to do with it... and that helps alot. But, for the odd or stray craving that may come up from time to time.... I JUST REMIND MYSELF TO PUSH PAST IT, AND REMEMBER COMING DOWN, AND THE HELL I WILL SUFFER BECAUSE OF IT. Bingo! No craving!!! It's MAGIC!

If I could quit using drugs, Anyone can. I am nothing special. And I was HEAVILY addicted. I used needles and smoked crack. I even O.D.ed a couple of times... There wasn't anything I wouldn't do to get more drugs to avoid coming down. Now I don't think addiction gets any worse than that..... So, buck up! Use your Memory to help you kill those cravings. You can do it. ;-)

I am currently trying to help my brother in-law We live in Alabama and the family brought him down to us because he ask for help with his addiction to crack, he only knows us down here and he has extreme lows and highs and wants to go home(this is the drug talking right?) I am going to school for criminal justice and I know a little on the subject,but instead of going day by day with new surprises,can any one tell me how long before he could say no if he went back home.
My husband don't understand the strange behavior and neither do i in away

Your so right