Had a partial colectomy due to a large polyp and also had my gallblader removed at the same time due to inflamed gallbladder and stones. At first I was going every time I ingested ANYTHING. Mostly diarreah. NOW, I can't go at all without taking dulcolax or milk of magnesia. And sometimes I have to top it off with prune juice. My surgery was on August 12th,2011. I'm back at work. My job has me walking around alot so I think I'm getting enough exercise. I drink alot of water, eat an apple, plum and orange daily. I stay away from things that would normally clog you up, such as white rice, bananas, etc. Is this how it's gonna be for the rest of my life???????????

It's hard to give specifics as we don't know exactly how much of your colon was removed, etc. Your doctor can be more specific.

In general, after any surgery on the digestive tract it is not uncommon for it to take a period of time to adjust. The peristaltic action that moves food along gets "disrupted."

The gallbladder does help regulate the flow of bile. Constipation does seem to be a long term side effect of gallbladder removal.

Hope it helps.

I had about 8 to 10 inches removed.

I read somewhere that after gallbladder removal, you get the runs. My sister had hers removed and that's what happened to her. She told me for the first month every time she ate she had to run to the bathroom. Now, ( it's been about a year for her), she only gets the runs if she eats greasy stuff.

You will probably have to adjust your diet some to find out what works and what doesn't. Your doctors should have given you some advice.

Yeah you're probably right about the diet. My doctors didn't tell me anything. From my primary to my GI to the surgeon, they're not what I expected them to be. I'm switching as soon as I can. I was just hoping this 3 year nightmare was over. Thanks for the advice............:)

symphonymom wrote:

medic-dan wrote:

Unfortunately, that seems to be the way of the medical world nowadays. Don't explain anything in detail.

Good luck in the future.

I had a subtotal colectomy a few years ago and had already had my gall bladder removed before. After surgery I had an obstruction and some scar tissue that grew around part of my small intestine killing it. this caused another surgery, taking out small intestine. Since then I've had TWO more surgeries removing yet more small intestine. I only have my sigmoid colon. I still continue to stay constipated most of the time. It causes severe pain and bloating. I also gained 40lbs and could NOT get rid of it.  Initially I was put on a very high fiber diet and drank so much water. Every doctor I go to says they can't help me and don't know what to tell me. I have looked things up then and have tried a residue free diet (I did okay it with my physician). While it doesn't fix it completely it definitely helps. I take vitamins to make up for much of the food I'm not allowed to have anymore as well. While I'm still not going regularly as I'd like I go twice a week and that's a HUGE difference. I've also begun to lose weight as well and exercise more. Moving around definitely helps things stay active. One thing on the diet I'm not supposed to have but do is coffee (I work 12 hr shifts at a hospital). I've noticed some coffee (not all) makes A  difference as well. I don't know if I helped or not but it can't help to look around to find something that may work. everybody's body is different. just a note, i get obstructions regularly and this diet seems to make them happen less. No one likes having a NG tube down their throat! Good luck!