Users comments and reviews on article Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): Therapies & Meds by SirGan

All this "professional information" is okay. It just doesn't do much for people who REALLY LIVE the issue!!! It just sounds like nothing more than a list of symptoms that unfortunately, MOST doctors don't have a clue about in REALITY!! 8-| Let me tell you, I've lived it.

What's worse than all the "symptoms" combined is having doctors who either don't know, don't want to know, or don't care. I have YET to find a doctor who even LISTENS to anything I have to say after well over 15 years of searching!!! I also have YET to find a doctor who isn't "DRUG HAPPY"!! (they pass out pills like candy & get upset when I refuse to take them)............

This has led me to start searching for an alternative medicine doctor. After being on 46 pills a day & not being able to remember anything that happened during that time frame, most connected with PTSD; I finally had enough!!!!! And I feel better now than I have felt for YEARS, now that I am off every medication except 1: synthroid.

Yes, it is a different way to live. One that daily, I have to decide to work through the PTSD; instead of hiding from it. My biggest issue being ANGER at times!!

These things happened to me & I didn't have any control over them. THEN, doctors came along & EXPLOITED what happened by handing out unnessary drugs that I became ADDICTED to!! And YES, for those of you who do not realize it, ANTI-DEPRESSANTS are addictive. >;) As long as I was on these drugs: again, I didn't have control over much of what happened.

I'm still getting pressure to go back on the anti-depressants as well. It's like : "HELLO, is there somebody home upstairs; QUACK"????

If so, you can easily get help from the VA. The point is to ONLY talk about trauma that occurred while you were in the military. Vets make the mistake about talking about abusive parents, trauma as a child etc. The military does not care about anything that has happened in your life, ect. except from the date you joined and the date you were discharged discharged from the military. If your PTSD is not service related, I have a suggestion that will definitely work. Go to an emergency room at a decent size hospital, in the evening(off hours =front office is closed) and go STRAIGHT to the emergency room. They will ask ' what is your problem?' and you say 'I am so depressed that I am thinking of killing myself!' They will then ask you if you have a workable plan. Jumping off of a 2 story buiulding is not a plan. 'Jumping off of a freeway ramp in front of a speeding tractor is a workable plan'. You will then be detained for 72 hours, by law. You will then be observed by trained professionals and you will get the help you need. Maybe you want to sign up for SSI or SSDI disability, in case you have such bad PTSD you can not work and you or homeless, or close to it, and desperate. This will give you a paper trail to follow up on. On staff, in the-lol-I hate to call it 'nut ward'- it is a 'psychiatric ward', you will be issued a psychiatrist, social worker, a pharamacologist and another worker(I forgot what that staff member is called). You need to 'focus', keep your worries(reason you are there) straight and focus. Do not wander off on a load of c**p not related to your suicide ideation. Focus! Be pleasant and definitely non threatening. If you are loud, angry, and hard to deal with, you will be ignored as a wacko that only wants attention. FOCUS and go to emergency room. NEVER go to a hospital front desk, fill out forms, talk about insurance etc etc etc etc. BUT,GO STRAIGHT to the emergency troom, 100% alcohol and street drug free, and be pleasant but firm-'I need help and if I do not get help, I will committ suicide'. This creates urgency. You will get the help you need/deserve when you establish URGENCY!----I tried to get help after I left Vietnam in October 1967 and finally got help in St. Petersburg,Fl. hospital in March 1997 and the route I followed, I just told you. THERE MUST BE URGENCY!--------

I think it's really unfortunate that some people have had negative experiences with getting treated for PTSD but that's why ou do not want to go to a doctor but a social worker or psychiatrist instead, as they often are more helpful. Does that make sense?