Users comments and reviews on article Hip Bursitis - Trochanteric Bursitis by SirGan

It's good to know that this isn't a very common issue and that it's something that you tend to get as a comorbid thing with another procedure instead of having to deal with it on a different level like if it appaered out of nowhere or something like that. I think that it's pretty uncomfortable and looks like a hard condition to have to deal with. Does anyone out there have something like this because I think that it would be hard to deal with at times? Thanks!

I have had this condition for over a year. Treatment has included everything from ice, rest, anti-inflammatories to steriod injections. I have stopped walking as my prmimary exercise. Nothing seems to help. I have tremendous pain at night which interrupts sleep and results in mental and physcial fatigue. I am at a point of considering surgical removal of the bursa. Wish there was more known about this procedure. Any comments out there?

I read your blog about your bursitis, and you said that you were considering having the bursa removed. Did you do this procedure? I can't find any information and I too suffer exactly the same way. Life is just continual pain, so I need to know what it out there as I have tried all the cortizone, phyical therapy, ice, heat, etc. etc.
Please let me know if someone has found help?

I too am suffering from this condition after a fall in Feb last year. I've had anti-inflammatories, steroid injections, ice treatment, heat tratment and physio. None give long lasting relief and some physio actually makes it worse!

I seem to be in constant pain and it can be awful at times - broken sleep and very irritable which is not great for my work in primary school. Alos, little children seem to be able to accidentally bump into you on a regular basis.

i am considering an operation and would be grateful to hear from anyone who has had the op. Was it a success?

Hello everyone! I am also curious about the removal of the bursa. I am only 21 years old and have had this for over two years now. It has gotten worse over the years and makes it pretty much unbearable to walk. The arthritis and lower lumbar problems only add to the pain. I am desperate to relieve the pain!!! Any info? Pros and or Cons of the removal?

well as far as I know about the procedure, the worst part is the recovery time. I know that it will take at least a month to get over the surgery if not longer. Do you work or go to school? What would your commitments be like?

I have had this problem for over two years. It is very painful and is hard to keep under control. I have been to four different doctors and most agree that surgery will not improve my quality of life. Removing the bursa will not help. The steriod injections help sometimes, but only for a short time. I take Mobic everyday. I had a injection last week, so I'm sleeping right now, but it won't last...

Hi, I am 20 years old and have had hip bursitis diagnosed for over a year now, but have suffered with it for around 3years. it is mainly muy left hip but my right can also cause my trouble. I have found that holding ice on my hip for about 5mins and then a hotwater bottle for 5mins and keep swopping help with instant pain relief. I have had 2 cortasone injections and had 3months off work this year. ( I work at a leisure centre). I am currently back at work but have to keep taking days off, as my hip plays up in the cold weather and if i have worked a little to hard. I hope this has been some help to someone.

HI everyone,
Was reading through some comments from some of you asking about the surgery available? I would strongly try and find another way. I have been ill with trochantric bursitis since december 07 now, with hip pain all my life before that.
Nothing worked for me, the hot and cold packs did for that period of time but not in the long run. My consultant advised me to have surgery and it was the biggest mistake of my life.
I had the surgery last march 09, and I am still trying to rehabilitate from just the surgery. It wasn't a success and nothing has changed accept the added problems the operation has left me with. I was on crutches until middle of September so for 6 months, and although I am walking now my leg feels worse from before the op.
I also have a huge lump sticking out of my thigh that seems to be permanent. Sort of the size of half a bum cheek on at the side. It's noticable no matter what i wear and is always been pointed at when I am out in public.
I know things can look very gloomy and feel like there isn't a way out, but if you can manage on pain relief or injections, even if it means having them every month forever then I would suggest that.
I am sure there must be some successes with this procedure somewhere or surely they would have banned this op. But everything I have come across or everyone i have spoken to have had no success, only the added problems from surgery itself.
If I could go back to last year I would decline the operation as I have lost my job, friends and a huge chunk of my life over this annoying ailment, and the unsuccessful op has just added insult to injury kind of. I am only 27 years old and my life is on hold big time. Certainly no way to live.
So if any of you are considering surgery I would seriously weigh up all options. It is a very nasty procedure to wake up from, and the pain is horrendous, not to mention the bruising and the size of the scar.
Hope this is of help to some of you. And not just scared you half to death... I just hate to think of other people going through what I am if it is not absolutely necessary.
If you have any questions then I'll try and help all I can.
Vicky xx

Im and trying to complete a project about bursitis and one this that i can not find any were is the long term effect of bursitis, if anyone know please help!

I have bursitis on both hips unbearable pain in the winter, I am a very active person I used to run not anymore!!! had cortison injection lasted 2 months now pain is worse than ever before:( I do not like pain killers! as people say operation is not successful either what shall I do?

I've suffered from bursitis in my left hip for a few years. After trying everything else (steroids, PT, anti-inflammatories, etc.), I had the bursa removed a year ago. The surgery was easy (outpatient), no pain pills were needed afterwards, and my recovery was very fast; I was up and about that same evening. However, after a few weeks, the pain was still "kind of" there and my dr. said it was just inflammation from the surgery and gave me yet another steroid injection. Pain went away and was gone for a year - and now it is back, same as before. Obviously, having the bursa removed did not solve anything.

One more thing - I also have a small lump (permanent, I presume) at the surgery site and a 3-inch scar.

I have read your reply and completely agree with you I wish I had never had this op as well it's left me with a limp because the (the band ) is impossible to get back to normal thankfully I am in my late 60s when I had these op's on both hips