Users comments and reviews on article Recurring Urinary Tract Infection by MariAnne

this is a very good general article, however, lab cultures and antibiotic sensitivity tests must be stressed by the patient, especially if one is seen in the Emergancy Room, where, it is common to recieve one or two antibiotics that the inflicting bacteria (usually E.coli or Kebisiellia) is resistant to, therefore leading to recurrent infections. In my own experience the patient has to CALL the Emergency Room 72 hours after being told and/or requesting that culture and sensitivity will be performed and ASKING for RESULTS. Also while talking to ER nurse, primary care physician, or clinic nurse or doctor, make sure to tell her what meds you were prescribed and are currently taking. Call physician immediatly or return to ER if you notice pus or blood in urine, experience heart palipitations, hear a ringing in the ears, or improve the first few days but then seem to get worse or more fatigued, do this even if you DO NOT feel pain in the urethra and/or urgency. This advice from my own experience only, and I am not a trained medical professional.

my daughter has suffered with urine infections since birth an is now 10 but its getting more frequant! im getting concerned as its stopping her social life with her friends

This article provided me with more information than most doctors and GP's have been able to give over the past 3 years of reacussinr UTIs

I have been getting Reoccurring UTI's since I was a child -now 35 yrs old I could not possibly count how many times I have had an infection or count the different types of anti biotic's I have taken or procedures I have had to try to rectify this problem. I am as you can probably guess, sick and frustrated and exhausted and have what I believe no more avenues to try to rid me of this problem so I have to put up with it- lucky me..............

Just released from hospital after 6 day treatment with 500 mg Primaxin intravenous 4 times a day for UTI. Told urine is now sterile. Still getting some pain and spasms mostly at night. Given Hyoscyamine but left feeling anxious, dry mouth etc. Looking to hear from anyone with similar experience. Hoping it's not IC . Will appreciate any help

hey guys. i happened to have a urinary tract infection for about a week or so. i felt lik i had to pee constantly but only a little came dwn, it would burn dwn Dere after using the bathroom. . . so to help my problem get better i went to a pharmacy nd i was told to buy some pills for the infection itself nd den for the burning sensation also. . till today i have not felt lik dat again nd if i do i have my pills. i recommend ppl who have dis do the same :-)

I've had recurring UTI's since I was 15 after getting my first one from leaving in a forgotten tampon. I've tried everything to stop them but I keep getting them every few months unless I take antibiotics daily. They are so uncomfortable I get chills and hot flashes, and can barely walk. Usually I have to stay on the toilet for one to two hours peeing constantly till it subsides for a day or so then starts again. Can anyone help me?

I suffered for years before talking a doctor into dilating my uretha as I had done as a child. Had this done at 6 yrs, again at 11, again at 26. Was told that I may have to have done every 5 or so years. Learned that my tube was small and bacteria would back up. It is an easy office procedure.
Also avoid citrus juices and a lot of sugar in your diet. Take Yeast Cleanse daily. You may get at a health food store.

I'm 44 and have had problems for decades...of course, now I'm allergic to sulfa and cipro drugs, which scares me to death (what happens when I run out??)

I find lisab's posting quite interesting! I know from childbirth that I have a small uretha, and this sounds like a great path to take.

My mother is diabetic and is on insulin. She is also hypertensive. She is 67. She is having recurring UTI's for 7-9 years now. The frequency has increased. Up till now the symptoms were negligible. But the last UTI two weeks ago caused severe fever and chills. We all got very very scared. We took her to hospital emergency. She remained admitted at the hospital for 4 days and got antibiotics injections i.e TAZOCIN. She is better now and I think doctors may start NITROFURANTOIN now. She also takes Cranberry Juice. That also helps keep UTI away.