Users comments and reviews on article Alcohol Abuse and Anxiety Disorder Relationship by Debbie Strange

For years My Dr's have all said I have generalized anxiety disorder -.I have had anxiety before-and what I explain to them is not the same.It can occur from sometimes from coffee-or other random times -or stress-thinking too hard-even back in school when I had felt I had to be perfect.But what always happens with this is a feeling of constricted neck veins.Its' terrible and want to come down off of it.Hard Alcohol relieves my neck symptom immediatly. It is vasodialator.Recently I found the herb Dan Shen,a vasodialator,does the trick but not as fast .The doctor would not agree with my vasodialation theory .Loranzapam fixes the problem too-so therefore it's anxiety.I disagree-its a chemical reaction that can can be caused by coffee,or cortisol.Then there are the reports coffee can cause anxiety!well-how about saying it restricts your arteries-and dumps cortisol in you. it is a drug-similar to amphetemines.I am addicted-like a smoker is.I stop for a while-then restart.sometimes it doesnt affect me badly.I think body chemistry fluctuates a lot-another theory of why sometimes.I also know stress is very bad-so it may lead people to drink-even if they dont feel it in their neck!

Im so pleased i read this article. Im studyinng psychology myself and it was thought I had Gad. Okay, I still have major panic attacks and its awful, and i still drink-but this article helps me two see that both are disorders. Just like someone has a glass of wine by a coffe followed after. I did have this conversatin with a lecturer that perhaps it shouldnt be defined as drug abuse-and addiction is an illness, an addiction is happening for a reason, therefore just like anorexics who starve themselves of acids and have low self perceptions. well i argue that its the same thing..There is a total lack of self respect in all issues-but as its self inflicted , its a harder cycle to break, and a more shamfeu lone too. Thanks for the info , it helps.

There is a great informational site about alcohol abuse,
… and on there you will find tons of useful and helpful information about alcohol addiction, along with the causes and symptoms of alcohol abuse, as well as the treatment options that are available out there for you.

Also, there is a toll-free helpline, 1-800-714-8354, which you can call and speak to a trained professional who will be bale to help you and answer any questions you may have. They will help to guide you in the right direction, and come up with next steps you should be taking in order to get yourself back on the right track.

Hope this is helpful!

I also have that issue with my neck, when the stiffness happens and I feel all the horrible dread of the panic its like I cant even control my neck at all its stiff and my movements become totally wrong... I also started drinking more often to deal with my occasional anxiety and as I drank more and more and more often and larger amounts so has the anxiety risen and now I find I am not only an anxious mess with horrible inabilities to function on a normal level but I am also a massive alcoholic with awful health problems beginning from that. :-( I dont even know how to begin to fix myself.... such a mess!

I think disorder comes first. I was alcoholic and I found out recently I was suffering from anxiety all my life. Like my father.I was fighting with my alcoholism for few years, then I was 25 years old. I found supplement Neu-Recovery and after two months my cravings suddenly disappear. I was so happy! But I could cope with stress after that. After 1 year I tried marijuana and I got addicted badly. I have decided to see psychoterapist and so far it was the best choice. As well I would like to share information abaut acumed patches. I bought them to try( I tried accupuncture, hypnosis and so on). They are not expensive but helpfull. I always had stiff neck, but after I used them on my neck I didnt have pain anymore!

Hey, thats so interesting. My good friends have told me to forget the docotrs and get some homeopathis treatment. My anxiety is bad. I hide it by using alcohol=so that thins seem more lighthearted. But I absolutely hate myself for it-as Iam always tire etc. But the other thing that worries me-I use it for confidence-ive tried to tell folks about this-but I get the feeling they dont know what I mean. For instance, Im studying again, the last tiem I tried this, there were a few deaths in my family ( but just because that was the nature of things) Im back at my old uni -its new though-and I find myslef sitting on steps that I sat on ten years ago wondering what the h am I doing?

What if id do all this and still cant manage. people judge me as I certainly do not come across or handle myself like a confident clever person, yet I know I am probably clever-though thats maybe as a result of having people think I am thick -I just try and work-then I get peeved! Anyway, i was supposed to be starting treatment on antabuse-but Im dead set against it. My gp told me "that that said a lot about me, ie my drink is my best friend etc" but what I dont think they get-is its my only way of surviving the thick thing in my head. Im going to be 34 soon and that sold to me-but I stil try and look young -though I look my agenow. but that just not it-I dont think anyone gets me-alcohol makes me feel normal, makes me forget, calams me and makes me able to stop balck bricj walld formingObviouslt its a depressant I know this-but why cant i do -why can ti just do?I think about everything all the time-I dont know if anyone gets that, but for instance stepping of a train -getting on a train is torture. i have poor vision and I cannot judge. if I have to wait at traffic lights and thers steps before me, I spiral into panic. I used to be able to do these things without thinking, now I find walking down steps extre,ley hard.

Anxiety -weel t leads itself to so many other things. Not wanting to go out, not wanting to do anytinf, sleeping all the time, to not sleeping all the time, to torturig yourself because you dont feel normal.Or are behaving in the mature manner that you are supposed to!

Weell on that note, I anxiously went up town, bough tmy girls new bed clothing so when they come home its nice and fresh fro them I miss them and its only been one nightm and whats more weird is I wan to beahve better-because I miss them-does that make sense to anyone?

Okay, but theres more to it than that, but I am fed up taliking to cpns, that are al very lovely-but have a life-I dont! i get the feeling they dont really care-or cannot be bothered too! They give you therapies that -sorry -I regret to say it-but ivenot found one that works for me. I will though- i do get determined. and if I ever doI will share it with others to help! I thinking, that emdr, is a good method, but nt right..I think theres more to it, and significantly I think its to do with smells and audtory sounds rather than eye movements. I just say that as ive the worst weirdest vision in the owrld. On that note im off. stay okay and be good to yourselves.