Users comments and reviews on article Shark Liver Oil: Health Benefits and Side Effects by Dana Fenton

All I can say about the use of Shark Oil is you HAVE to watch the movie "Shark Water" It will change your life and make you think twice about shark fin soup, any oil, shark steaks etc. We - as a family - just adopted a shark! So watch it and become enlightened!

When fishers in Nordic countries go fishing for shrimps,many small sharks are caught in the net and die.These small sharks,usually only a few pounds, called "hav mussa" in Norwegian was previously dumped in the sea and not used again ,because they were unfit as food.Each year tons of small sharks are dumped back into the sea in Nordic countries in the search for shrimps.However recently a small company in Norway MedicMarine has started to buy such sharks and use these already dead fish for something useful,namely to make extra virgin fish oils.These oils have proved to be a real boon to a number of diseases in humans.So when discussing shark oils people need to learn more about what fishers do, how fishing is done and where fishes go after being caught.It is a long distance between the big sharks hunted by game hunters as trophy,or those hunted by Chinese fishers to make shark fin soup, and the numerous small sharks caught in nets all over the world.

Thankyou for that! Do you happen to know how as a consumer how WE would be able to tell the difference?! I suppose that is the thing isn't it? Really getting to the bottom of WHERE products come from! That was a really excellent post and thankyou! I and my family are TOTALLY against Whaling and Shark Fishing so to hear another side to this is fantastic! When we watch certain movies - such as SharkWater, I tell my children that there a biased views! Which of course creates STRONG emotions! Like I stated, we even adopted a Great White Shark!!! XD That's how pationate we were about the whole thing! So along with 3 dogs 2 cats, we have a Shark a Polar Bear a Manatae and a Whale!!! Have a good day!

Where do you get to adopt a shark? I know you don't have it in a tank at home! :) Where do you get info on that?

I considered buying shark oil or fin products to help with my health, then I thought no, I can't it's not right...then I came home I saw every cosmetic, cream, toiletrie and then thought about the drugs, antibiotics and more that I have used, that have in fact been tested o animals that have effectively led tortured lives and been tested upon..which i would say is a far more prolonged death. would you rather be tortured then killed, or just killed. I know what I would choose. both are wrong but there is a lesser evil

Anyone who buys this c**p is nuts! First of all, sharks are being fished to the point of extinction (along with pretty much everything else in the ocean). Second, sharks contain extremely high levels of mercury because of biomagnification which passes onto anyone who consumes shark. If you're pregnant and consuming shark than that's a great way to mentally retard your child. Third, studies show that sharks DO get cancer and these pills and oils do nothing for people with cancer. It's based on phony science and big money. Forth, research "shark finning." Fifth, it doesn't matter how the shark is caught, whether it was bycatch or not. It is not right to kill these animals. I could go on and on and on. Make sure you EDUCATE yourself before you end up killing yourself and the planet!

Really, So I guess you think all the meat, dairy and fish in the shops just get made in the storeroom and do not involve slaughtering and to some degree animal torture. City people you are all the same. Maybe I should adopt a sheep or a cow or even a tuna or sardine, or maybe a chicken.

Suggest adopt a clue.