Users comments and reviews on article Hysterectomy side effects by TaniaT

:( I had a hysterectomy 6 months ago, nothing left but my vagina. It was done with the new robotic method & I felt great afterwards, going home 3 hours after the operation. 2 days later I was back in the hospital with a cuff cellulitis {not sure how to spell} infection. Since then I have been feeling extremely fatigued with constant pain in my muscles & joints, as if I have the flu all the time. I'm swollen, have memory issues, weight gain, brain fog, chest pain, insomnia, headaches, sweating, double vision, very unsteady on my feet [I walk into things} & many other unexplained symptoms. The doctor decided not to put me on hormone therapy because of my age, 51. I also for the first time in my life have had high blood pressure & cholesterol. I've seen many doctors for these symptoms with such remarks as "you seem to have CFS, Fibromyalgia, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Myofascial Pain" or the best is "an unexplained autoimmune disease!" All the meds they give me make me feel worse, ie: nerve blockers, muscle relaxers, anti-depressants. Most doctors look at me as if I'm crazy & rush me out of their office and\or tell me they can't help me. I have lost all respect for the medical profession, to say the least!!! I have become resentful & bitter towards their lack of care & concern!
In June, I went to a second Rheumatalogist who diagniosed me with Hashimoto's Disease & put me on Synthroid, but do not feel any better yet. I am a single mother & these series of events have cost me my job! What has happened to me & will I ever get my life back? Has this happened to anybody else or have I completely lost my mind?

Hi, lots of women have problems after their hysterectomy.
You can go to www.hystersisters.com and find that you're not alone.
Check out "The Road Less Traveled" forum on the site.
I can honestly say the hyst was the worst mistake of my life.
Prayers for your healing!

i too had Robotic hysterectomy in july of 2008 by the time i came home my knuckles were quite swollen and within 90 days started with leg and sever joint pain in late oct 2008, by late nov. and all through to march 2009 needed crutches to walk. Strapping my knees for support and seeing more dr. and tests AND suppliments than i ever thought i would need before the age of 70.!!! i was 47. it is april almost may 2009 now and i am still batteling this but i am wondering if this has more to do with anitbiotic or anti inflam drugs, that may be causing ligament, muscle and joint issues. also just this weekend i wonder if the incession sites could disrupt the endocrin system (long shot i know but i too am desperately trying to find a reason why this happened to me when SO MANY WOMEN REPORT THAT THERI LIVES GOT SOOOO MUCH BETTER). The body is an amazing factory and when all departments are not on the same production level somethings gona give. charmagne NO.CA.

I had a total vaginal hysterectomy. I am feeling really good -- no pain. My concern is that I had alot of swelling/water retention after. Weight the day before surgery was 9 lbs. less than 2 days post op. I am hoping this is a temporary condition?

Due to cervical cancer, I had a radical hysterectomy, but leaving the ovaries intact in 1980 when I was 29. My vagina was shortened so much full thrust sex has never been possible since, and the vagina narrowed to the point that penetration has not been possible. At 57, and with new surgery techniques, is there any chance that my vagina could be fixed to allow normal sex?

I had a total hysterectomy Feb. 2009, ovaries and the cervix removed! I hate my body now and yes the Drs rush you out of their office and oh the weight gain, 'well you did to go on a low fat diet and exercise more'. Yes, that is all fine and good, but I am on a low fat and I ride my bicycle anywhere from 30-60 miles a week. I still look like a orange barrell that lines road construction.

i too had a complete hysterectomy ,i was stage 3c ovarian cancer.i was 43.i am now 48 and has gained a lot of weight.i eat right and try to walk at least 3 times a week.nothing helps.however i am blessed.i would rather be fat than dead. :-)

CAn you please suggest what are the solutions for this side effects

Total hysterectomy, kept the ovaries. The doctors were great. I felt totally informed before the surgery, and after. But I wasn't informed. The surgeon and my gyno both said that because I kept my ovaries my hormones and life would be as normal. And I am just finding out now,two years later, through much labored research on my own, when my body is going haywire... that is not the case. "This is because the hormone functions of the ovaries will decline in period of one to two years due to reduced circulation." NO ONE TOLD ME! Here I am thinking I am going crazy, too young for menopause, so why? My hysterectomy. It takes a year or two for the after effects to unfold. Get the damn word out!

To Gaiitobey= you are not the only one having those problems.. I had my hysterectomy in 2009 and am having the same problems. I used to be able to work 80+hours a week with no problems. Since the surgery, I have had multiple jobs that I have lost due to too many absences. I have been told so many times that it is just me.  Just wished I knew what to do about it.

OH GOD! AFTER READING THESE COMMENTS I REALLY HAVE TO THINK ABOUT WHAT I'M GOING TO DO . HAVING IT ON JANUARY 2012. I'M ALREADY SICK ENOUGH TO HAVE MORE SYMPTOMS AND OTHER THINGS HAPPENING TO ME. THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS. IT OPEN MY EYES.

I just had robotic surgery. Removed ueterus, cervix, left ovary and tube. I hurt so badly. All I was told literally fart more to get gas out. They tell you bed rest but then was told what have you done since you got home which was less than 24 hrs ago, suppose you are just laying around. Like I am some lazy ass. I had this done because of non stop pain and ovarian cysts yet they put unknown cause of pain. Made me out to be a drug seeker. If I wanted drugs I sure as hel wouldnt get an operation of this magnitude, hell id buy them on the streets but yet I need their help this is what I got.

i also have hashamotos it takes a while to feel really normal after 11 months of synthoid i now have normal readings and feel pretty normal.

mine also cost me my job..

NO U DEF HAVENT I BEEN THROUGH THE SAME THING TO BE EXACT AND ITS BEEN 4 YRS AND NO BETTER IMA AT THE CONCLUSION THAT IT ISNT GOING TO GET ANY BETTER I DO TAKE HRT THO AND STILL BAD NO MATTER HOW MANY DIFF ONES THEY CHANGE ME TO . I FEEL LIKE MY LIFE IS OVER WE GOT TO GET SOMEONE TO LISTEN TO US AND HELP BUT IM SPEECHLESS