Users comments and reviews on article Food on Your Face: Homemade Cosmetics by Debbie Strange

A home made face pack should be considered for its overall benefits for the health and in particular the skin.

The honey and avocado one sounds really good but I bet you could make that avocado into a delicious guacamole. I'm such a guy--I think that it's better to eat well than look good.

Seriously though this is good advice. I might use it. I care about how my skin looks too :-)

I'am a little hesitant to put the mayo and honey mixture into my hair due to the oily buildup,any suggestions?

I am also not keen on the mayo on the hair idea, however I heard that putting egg whites on your hair until it sets is really effective. Also making a body scrub out of coffee grounds...

I just made and used the avacado and honey face mask and it's such a good one to use.
It was really easy to make (although I would just say, make sure you mash it up until really smooth, otherwise it's a bit difficult to apply) and my skin feels so soft and supple now and also really clean and fresh.
Beforehand, I used the baking soda/bicarbonate of soda and water mix to exfoliate and clean my skin before applying the avacado and honey, just so there was no dirt/oil preventing the mask from getting to my skin (and I think that helped).
With the remaining mask that was left, I massaged it into my hands for about 10 mins and then rinsed off with warm water, which has left my hands just as soft as my face :-)

Celebrity
I think it is really important to choose the right mask for each one according to type and condition of hair. Therefore deep conditioning masks can be different - if you have greasy hair, you should definitely avoid mayonaise, instead use clay mask alone or combined with honey and then shampoo after 10 minutes and rinse well. For damaged hair for example apply mixed banana and honey, wrap in towel and shampoo and rinse well after 15 minutes.
Friend uses combination of one egg and a spoon of rum, I think :-)

Celebrity
For face I use honey alone - it makes my skin feel really soft. I love it.

love it

Occasional facial peels are great for the skin because they loosen and remove dead skin cells. Doing this will improve the texture of the skin, while at the same time restore its elasticity, reduce pore size and diminish fine lines and wrinkles. It can also assist in reducing hyperpigmentation and in stimulating collagen production.

I just had the most amazing weekend of relaxing spa treatments... and I did it all at home! If you haven't seen Rose Cole's free spa recipes, you've got to check out her video here . Every girl needs to pamper herself, and now we can do it without breaking the bank.

Hey it is really very good and useful. I will definitely try it out for my skin and hair.

Best Anti Aging cream in the world, and completely natural.

4 parts Olive oil
2.5 parts shea butter (refined works best)
1 part grapeseed oil
Half part avocado oil
Quarter part jojoba oil
1 part rosewater or orange blossom water

This recipe is brilliant as a moisturiser and if used after bathing, leaves the body very soft and moisturised. Basically it has all the benefits of oil but in the form of a cream so is very easily to apply. Only need to use a very small amount because it is very concentrated. Cheap to make because all the ingredients can be bought from most retail outlets except for shea butter and jojoba oil which is optional. Shea butter can be purchased quite cheaply now on the internet and provides the basic ingredient that will turn the oils into a cream.

Method:

In a bain marie (or a small bowl over hot water) place the shea butter with the olive oil and heat until it is completely melted. Take off the heat and add the other oils. Stir really well with a whisk. Slowly add the rosewater or orange blossom water whilst it is still very warm.

Now, as it cools, it will start to harden. In order to speed up the cooling, place the bowl in a fridge or somewhere really cool and keep whisking every few minutes until it is whipped up into a beautiful cream. If the mixture is allowed to cool naturally, this can take up to 3 hours to cool and whip up but if placed in a really cold area, it really speeds the process up. Very important to do a lot of whipping.

The cream/body butter lasts easily for over a year if kept in normal cool conditions in a clean jar, it will melt if placed somewhere hot but still works if you use it on your skin. All the ingredients have a natural preservative action so it does not need any preservatives but keep an eye on it if you make a batch to make sure there is no contamination. It doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals that will aggravate skin conditions such as eczema or psoriasis.

You can use other oils and almond oil works really well as the main ingredient. It is a really brilliant recipe and especially good in cold weather and for anti aging. If you reduce the amount of shea butter you can make a body milk but you might need to experiment a little. Great for presents as you can buy jars very easily online and make up your own labels and paste it on the jar. Retail of similar products are very expensive.