I was on methadone 30mg. I went to md who gave me suboxin 8mg to take twice a day for 5 days then taper down. I took last dose of methadone on tuesday. saw md on thursday got suboxin took it and got so sick!! Withdrawels horrible! I was given catapes patch for BP. On friday only took 4 mg and got bad again but not as bad. I have not taken suboxin today. I just feel tired nose runny very weak and am sleeping. The md does not know what i should do..Has the methadone withdrawel not started yet? Should I wait until then before taking suboxin. The md charged me alot cash upfront and now he doent know what I should do. I have to be at work tomorrow! I thought suboxin is supposed to help and not make withdrawel horrible. I am not that sick but weak.. whats going on? Should i start suboxin or wait until the withdrawel is stronger?Please anyone if you can tell me what to do since md cant.

OMG if your doctor told you to take saboxin for methadone WD then your doctor needs to go back to MED school. You are NOT supposed to take suboxin for methodone withdrawl, only for heroin withdrawl. Because methadone is synthetic it stays in your system for much longer than heroin. You're only supposed to take suboxin for heroin withdrawl once you're already into moderate withdrawl. So you have to wait about 18-36 hours (if your female usually longer for some reason) once your hit withdrawl symptoms b/c if there is anything in your opiet receptors in your brain it will kick you into the worst withdrawl you have ever had in your life. They say if you have taken methadone within the week not to take suboxin for several days later b/c it will make you sick b/c methadone stays in your system for waaay longer than heroin. Your best option would be to switch back to heroin for a week or two, then ween yourself down to a low dose of it, then stop wait about 24 hours until you start to go into moderate withdrawl and THEN and only THEN take the suboxin and it wont make you sick. it will take away your WD symptoms then. As long as you're trying to use suboxin to kick methadone it aint gonna work. Take something else to get the methadone out of your system and make you comfortable until the methadone is out of your system. Heroin is easier to kick then methadon... the methadone maintenance program is the worst there is but it's also the oldest. It took them 30 years to come up with another cure for opiate dependance so... good luck.. but DONT take it again until the methadone is out of your system which could be a good 4-12 days... like i said it's easier to switch back to heroin until you can take the suboxin.. that's what i did. i've been clean now for 6mo & also has the horrible experiences with suboxin.. if you can try to get just plain subutex or the BP without the blocker in it, it's the block that's making you sick cuz it shuts up that part of the brain & puts you into a rapid detox forcing all that sh*t our of your system which makes you SUPER sick.. i know i've been there and know many other poeple who have also...

I have been taking methadone for 2 yrs. now and some friends recently decided they were going to try SUBOXONE instead of methadone.They went to the doctor and got a script for it,and he told them that they have to be completely off methadone for at least 5 days before they start taking it.For me after 2 days i'm half dead,so i could never do it.I'd love to know how you ARE doing....

Yes, you can take suboxone for Methadone withdrawl. Those folks who answered and said you can't need to do their research!! It is given in Methadone Maintenace clinics for people who want to stop taking methadone. You must be in mild withdrawls so that it can attatch to the receptors in your brain. IF you take it and are not in withdrawl, it can make it worse!! Just Google Suboxone and you will find all the info that you need and take it to your Dr. Also there is a tool that will allow you to Enter where you live and give you Drs in your area that SPECIALIZE in prescribing SUBOXONE for METHADONE detox!! Hope this was helpful!! :-D

It is OK to take suboxone for methadone withdrawls, but you have to be in full withdrawl before you take it!!!

Once your in full withdrals( it takes about 2 to 5 days) than you can take suboxone . It may make you feel sick

for the first hour or 2 but than you will start to feel relief. You then should stay on suboxone for at least 6 weeks

because thats how long withdrawls from methadone takes. I made the switch to suboxone from 90 mg. of methadone

You still are not going to feel 100% better. But even 75% better from methadone withdrawl is a savior and will alow you to

funtion mostly normaly. Good Luck!! Dont give up hope!!

Hello
I'm an ER MD and not really an addiction specialist, but I see what's going here.
Suboxone has 2 drugs in it. One is a sedative of sorts and will take the anxiety edge off.
The naloxone though, is an opiate antagonist, meaning that it effectively removes at least part of your circulating opiates. It does this fairly suddenly. That's why you got sick - rapid withdrawl. This drug is meant to keep you from getting high again, as in, your will drops a little and you take some drug. the naloxone will counter that drug. that's it.
The drug's being touted as something to help with withdrawls is only half true. The sedative sedates and the naloxone simply removes opiate. You get a little relaxed and a lot of withdrawl if taken when you're indulging in the narcotic. This is true for methadone as well as heroin or any other opiate.