My son is on Suboxone and it helps him a great deal however, his insurance does not pay for doctor appts and he can't continue getting the prescription unless he sees the doctor. He is a construction worker getting unemployment during the winter months so paying $150.00 for a doctor appt and then paying for the medicine is very difficult for him. It seems as if he exchanged one addiction for another. Can he get the drug online or from Canada at a cheaper rate with a prescription from his doctor?

If he truly can not afford the medication his hospital should have a prescription program that can arrange for him to get the medication refilled.

If his doctor requires a visit before he will give you another prescription it may become slightly more complicated.

Suboxone is a type 3 narcotic and can only be prescribed by licensed medical doctors. They are required to report the information to the secretary of human health services of their intent to provide it for opioid dependence.

His best bet is to just get off it.

I quit suboxone on oct. 18, 2007 and havent felt this good in a long time.
Suboxone doesnt help with WD's, its a ploy created by the medical industry just to make money. It only gives your body what it wants. Most people say "but it reduces cravings" No c**p because you're feeding your body an opiate using sub. Getting off sub was the worst thing I ever went through, worth then oxy WD. Find a family dr. (not an addiction pain "specialist") who can give your son something to ease the sub WD as he quits. The "pain specialists" are all scams. Even with insurance I had to pay $150 a visit because they don't accept insurance. They do this for a reason...profit.

Suboxone is evil, evil, evil. And can be abused. I use to get as high off it as I did on oxys when I took more then I was supposed to.

Drugs used for opioid dependence are designed to be unpleasant when abused...

nomoresub you are full of sh*t! yeah it doesn't work if you get "addicted" to it and treat it as oh i'm gettin high...i know from experience suboxone works...and i know several people on it right now and not one has went through withdrawls from suboxone like you "say" you have...sounds to me like you're just someone w/an addiction problem period..some people just don't have the will power to just not do anything to alter their moods..and have to do something...the problem was you were taking more than prescribed just to feel something so ofcourse your brains going to tell you that you need it when you quit!

PsyChris wrote:

nomoresub wrote:

His best bet is to just get off it.

What the fart are you talking about PsyChris???

Suboxone is designed to be unpleasant ONLY if you attempt to use it IV without somehow separating the buprenorphine from the naloxone first.
Other then that you can abuse it orally with no unpleasant effects.
If you happen to be on Subutex instead then IV ab/use will NOT be unpleasant because it has no naloxone in it.

ALSO methadone is NOT unpleasant when abused either, it just doesn't get you high when you abuse it, making abuse somewhat pointless.

Get your facts straight before you start posting misinformation please.

Um, I IV 4 mgs of suboxone every day and get bent. Maybe you should get your facts right there buddy.

First of all, suboxone is made so that it cannot be used intravenously or intramuscularly. If you snort it, then you're really asking for health problems. Secondly, someone mentioned that there is no WD from suboxone. That is not true. Thirdly, how can you separate the buphenorphine from the naloxone? Are you a chemist? It's all in 1 tablet. Not possible. Naloxone aka Narcan is a narcotic antagonist, so you won't get high from suboxone.

"Bent"?? I wouldnt say that.. It normalizes me, and for once in a very long time i dont have an opiate craving.. however i cant afford suboxone so every month at some point i feel like sh*t.. ive gone 11 days without subs and didnt feel any better.. i took 4 mgs roughly a day, tapered down to crums and still felt the WDs for 11 days.. my heart started to skip the stronger the longer i went without it... anyone have that same prob??

NO you are wrong. Subutex does NOT have naloxone in it. Suboxone has naloxone in it.

methadone??cant abuse it or get high??? lol either you dont know anything about methadone and the rest of your stuff is true or you dont know sh*t about sh*t cuz dude i have been addicted to methadone for 2 years never used it in treatment found it on the street and let me tell you 1 or 2 and im happy as hell 3 or 4 and im noddin out like im on heroin 5 or 6 and im sweating slurring nodding sleeping the hole 9 years ...3 dones feels like one oxy 80...but REMEMBER everybodys body is different...actually so different that i have taken suboxone 4 times and never once got anything from it felt no different then before i took it...but my dad and including about 4 or 5 people i know take it all the time and tell me amazing stories of snorting it and eating it and getting high...so my body dosnt take it like there body does just like methadone i know some people that hate it and think of it as a waiste and not a good drug...but me on the other hand take it because after building a tollerence high enough for 10 percocets to not affect me and 3 oxy cotton 80 mgs to feel like tylenol 3's i had to find a more potent drug and methadone was it....so obviously it can be abused just like suboxine can...they both are supposed to have affects to counteract getting high but none of that is true i know all kinds of people who abuse both drugs on a daily bases

My girlfriend used Suboxone to kick a 20 year Heroin/Methadone habit. It worked like a charm. It was expensive, but having her clean is worth it.

Now if you want to criticize a treatment regimen, criticize Methadone. For the life of me I can't figure out what they were thinking. That three week kick was hell for her, she did it twice. She used to get busted and kick Heroin in jail in 10 days, she says that's a lot easier than Methadone.

She's been clean now for two years. It was a long wait.

Methadone, go to Reno. There are several clinics in town, and the seem to not know about each other. It's like a parade as all the Methadone addicts walk from clinic to clinic, picking up their daily dosage at each one. Time it right and you can get well at one clinic while you are supposed to be withdrawing at another.

Because many people seem to not actually realize this I feel the need to state it...

A common misconception that is for some reason perpetuated by many doctors as well (probably just to scare people so they don't do it) is that IV suboxone will cause withdrawal due to the naloxone in it.

This is false, and with some searching one can find many first hand accounts that will say so.

The reason bupenorphine blocks the effects of opiates/ causes precipitated withdrawals when administered on top of opiates already present is because bupenorphine has an extremely high affinity to mu receptors, so it binds very strongly and displaces any other opiates already present, and blocks any new ones trying to bind to receptors.

As a matter of fact, it's affinity to mu receptors is so strong that it even displaces and blocks naloxone, which is why if one were to search they would find that bupenorphine overdose is extremely difficult to treat as the opiate antagonists (naloxone, naltrexone) have lower affinities and thus have no effect on the bupenorphine already present.

This remains true through all routes of administration; if both naloxone and bupenorphine are present in the blood stream, regardless of how it got there, the bupenorphine will outcompete the naloxone for opiate receptors.

Therefore, it makes no difference whatsoever if the drug is IV'd, snorted, taken sublingually, plugged, or however one may take it, the naloxone will have no effect regardless. If anyone wishes to contend this fact, I ask that they do some searching and they will find both that what I said regarding bupenorphine having a higher affinity is true, and first hand accounts of bupenorphine being administered intravenously yet still causing the same standard effects regardless.

With all that being said on the other hand, I'd like to add that I in no way recommend IV administration of suboxone, or any pill for that matter, for multiple reasons.

For one, it's extremely risky especially if not filtered correctly as just about any pill has binders and fillers added that can damage or clog veins leading to some potentially debilitating or life-threatening conditions, the least of which includes loss of a limb or digits on hands or feet. Abscesses and other injection-site ailments/infections can occur as well if injected improperly, and veins can collapse or become very damaged if the individual doesn't vary injection sites and use a fresh needle. Even by the second use the needle's tip becomes significantly roughed and blunted. Avoid reusing needles at all costs.

Also, standard warnings regarding sharing needles and transferring blood-borne illnesses or STDs applies here as well. Always, always refrain from sharing needles or using unsanitary equipment.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to mention that these illnesses can also be transferred via bloody straws or bills used for snorting, or anything else that comes in contact with blood. Watch that kind of stuff too.

On top of the danger of IVing, suboxone doesn't absorb or give much of any better effect from IV usage, as it already has such a significant bioavailability when taken under the tongue. Bupenorphine has close to 100% absorption if taken sublingually along with a small amount of alcohol to increase absorption rate, but once again alcohol isn't necessary as it's absorption rate is already quite high normally sublingually.

So to summarize here...
Yes, you can IV suboxone or take it basically through any route of administration you wish and the naloxone will have no effect on blocking any route over another, but no, it's not at all a good idea to IV suboxone, it's dangerous and doesn't actually hold much of any advantage over any other ROA

Here's the facts. I've been on Suboxone for 3-4 years, so I should know....

First, Sub (Suboxone or Subutex) ABSOLUTELY alleviates withdrawal. That's what its FORMULATED to do! if you CAN find a Dr. that will prescribe Subutex, that is MUCH MORE PREFERABLE than Suboxone. Because of the lack of the ingredient, Naloxone in the Subutex. Plus, if you SHOULD happen to need REAL, short acting narcotics in the meantime... then they will actually WORK for you. (You may even get a BUZZ too :-P ). But with SUBOXONE, even if you take narcotics for a week STRAIGHT, you will not feel much from them. Just saying.

Suboxone (and Subutex) WILL have withdrawals when quitting or tapering too fast. There's no getting around this unfortunately.

"Sub" (Suboxone and Subutex) greatly heightens your opiate TOLERANCE. So basically, taking "Sub" kind of defeats the purpose. But it WILL keep you out of horrid, unbearable withdrawal. I was in suicidal withdrawal for about 2-3 straight days when I had my first Sub dose. And it worked within 20 minutes. I actually DID get a 'high' off of it for about the first week or so. But after that, it was just 'maintenance.' And PLENTY of side effects like profuse sweating, blurry vision, swelling of ankles/ fingers, etc, occasional nausea with throwing up at later stages (year 3). The GOOD effects were consistent, full sleep at night... a certain "calmless" after taking it..... and of course curbing (but not CURING) my cravings for real opiates.

Taking MORE will NOT increase any "high" that you are hoping for. This is a rumor and simply isn't true. Because of how it is formulated, it has a "ceiling effect" and you can be just as satisfied on 4mg's as you can 8. You have to find your personal mg tolerance according to your addiction. For instance.... I was eating around 18 (or 180 mg's) of hydrocodone with 6 or 7 Somas DAILY. So MY personal starting dosage was around 10 mg's. They started me out at 16 mg's (2 pills a day)- but I was really sick from the overkill of mg's and having headaches daily. So I cut it back to 8-10mg's daily, and am now at around 5-6mg's daily. Which isn't much of a taper during those 3-4 years, I know. But an addicts mind is LIKE that.... afraid of cutting back dosages and fearing withdrawal.

Now I am working toward trying to get by on just 4mg's daily. I know I can do it, because Sub is also formulated to have an extremely long half life and can stay in your body up to a week without going into full blown withdrawal. Maybe longer. And since insurance companies throughout the nation are seriously cutting back coverage & meds.... (thanks to the unconstitutional HC Bill that passed), I will be hoarding all the Sub I can and have about 5 unfilled prescriptions and a hoarded supply that I can probably stretch out 4-5 months. If I'm not tapered off fully by then, I guess I'll be heading to rehab or the Methadone clinic. I'm bound & determined to make any withdrawal as easy as possible. Nothing WORSE than W/D! Especially in the mental sense of it! It is HELL ON EARTH! :-(