I’m currently having really bad ear infection and I’m on my second day of Zithromax treatment. My ear hurts just as if I took nothing at all and I’m not seeing any improvement in my symptoms - I expected pain to subside at least a bit. I know I have to finish the full course of Zithromax and maybe then my ear will get better, but I’m just looking online to see how other people treated ear infection and it seems that the antibiotic that’s far more commonly prescribed in cases like mine is Augmentin. Is there a difference in how strong Zithromax and Augmentin are? Would it make sense at this point to go back to my doctor and get a prescription for Augmentin?

hope your infection is cleared up by now!

Just two days of taking antibiotic is not always enough to get a relief from infection, simply because it depends also on how strong your ear infection is or was. Generally, there is no difference in effectiveness between Zithromax and Augmentin in treating ear infections. But, if you have a check up scheduled, you should ask your doctor why he chose one antibiotic over the other, and of course, if Zithromax wasn't effective in treating your infection hopefully Augmentin or some other antibiotic will be.

I assume your ear infection has cleared up by now, and I'd appreciate very much if you could tell me did the Zithromax do the work, or did you have to take another antibiotic after Zithromax.

I'm asking because I'm at the moment in the same situation you were, taking Zithromax for the ear infection, now on day three. I guess I do feel less pain, but at the same time symptoms like constant pressure in my inner ear and headaches I think are simply due to the infection had not subsided at all.

Oh, and my physician told me why he wanted me to go on Zithromax first: it's much cheaper in terms of co-pay than Augmentin is.