I have a 6 year old son whom has had strep throat 3 times in 6 weeks. The last episode was on Thanksgiving which sent us to the ER. There they did an X-Ray of the chest and abdomen, a blood count, a urine test, and a strep culture. And now we are back on antibiotics with no more answers.

The first episode he was given amoxicilin, the second was clyndomycin and now we're on augmenton. We've now been told that if he has another episode after this one he'll have to have his tonsils out. Why?

Also since the second episode he has consistantly had a stomach ache and lower and mid backache. Everytime I mention this to the doc's they never give any answers and act as if they didn't even hear me. Is it no big deal? Does it have nothing to do with the strep? What's up here?

I would'nt worry so much but he complains of it constantly, (not just when it's convenient) says that tylenol and IB don't help it, and has started sleeping with his back on a pillow. And now in the last 2 days he's started complaining of being very tired and he's getting 11 hours of sleep per night. I know Kindergarten can take it out of a kid but this seems a little over the top.

Please help me!!

Hi! My child also suffered from strep throat. He was prescribed penicillin, and he got better just a few days after, so I discontinued the medicine, which was the biggest mistake ever. Things got complicated, he suffered from strep again and his tonsils got inflamed as well. Then he started having problems with breathing and swallowing and the doctors suggested tonsils removal. Usually tonsils are not removed as often as before, now they are treated with antibiotics. Removal is recommended only when there is recurrence of the condition.

As for your child’s backache, I don’t know what to tell you. Something is obviously the matter, especially if NSAIDs are not helpful.

I would suggest getting another doctor’s opinion, I am not a specialist, I can’t link it to strep throat.

has he been tested for mono?

My daughter is 4 and has had the same symptoms. She has had strep since march 28th . She has been tested 5 times and each time she was positive the doctors have yet given me a solution. She also has the back pain. They have done urine cultures , renal sonogram and more antibiotics. she is still sick .have you gotten any results . I need help too. Im getting no where.

Guest wrote:

has he been tested for mono?

hankinsfa wrote:

Please help me!!

Strep can lead to nephritis (kidney problems) so check that out (any swelling- whats the pee look like if its brown get help now!!) but otherwise the most likely problem is that the antibiotics themselves have eliminated healty necessary flora from the digestive tract along wit the strep. you can get probiotics at a healthfood or supplement store and these should help. they replace the "friendly" bacteria I have given my two year old a half a capsule every other day for about a week or two or until her tummy stops hurting, following use of antibiotics. It helps alot and everyone should do this after antibiotics becaue they are strong wonderful medicine but they also eliminate perfectly innocent and neccessary bacteria from all over the body! hope this helps! Let me know!

I recently took Zithromax (antibiotic) and ALSO am experiencing the back pain and constant stomach ache you describe.

I wonder, have you tried the probiotic solution mentioned? Also, what might the back pain be associated with? Further, why have I not gotten this kind of reaction with past antibiotics?

Thanks,

Justin

I HAD STREP THROAT 2 WEEKS AGO AND TOOK ZITHROMAX. NOW I AM HAVING MID BACK PAIN ON BOTH SIDES THAT FEELS LIKE AN INTERMITTANT PINCH. I TOO AM HAVING STOMACH PROBLEMS. ANY ANSWERS??

Ok guys read this loud and clear: Strep can cause all of the pain you describe from the tonsils swlling to the inflamation fo the kidney to the back pain and sotmach aches. WHY ? becasue it is a potent bacetrial infection.

Why you do need the antibiobics? because without them the bacteria could cause organ and heart damage DO NOT STOP TAKING THE ANTIBIOBICS you must take the full course and it's a good idea to let you doc know if the sympotms don't compltelty go away BEFORE the end of treatment so that if a particular antibiotic it wasn't enough to completly keel the infection they can swicth you to a different with the least amount of time for the strep to make a come back

when you stop a antibiotic treatment to soon you simply kill the weakest of the bacteria ( they are billions of them in an infection) and this allows the tough one how have the DNA to resist the antibiobic not only survive but multiply. THAT is how supper bugs are created (bactria infection that are very difficult to kill) when you stop antibiotic too soon your now only putting your childs life in danger givin the possible heart damage strep can cause (when not properly treated) but your also putting the rest of the world at higher risk of contracting forms of strep that are more resistant.

Also sleeping alot when your sick is not only normal it very important to help the body fight back. Mono can cause tonsilitis but a child with mono would be sleeping closer to 16 hrs a day and have NO energy to play at all. You should ask your doctor if mono is possible (it's far more common in teens and young adults though) blood work would rule it out.

My 9 year old daughter has had strep throat three times since Sept 29th. Her throat never hurts, but she throws up bile violently and the last episode had diarrhea. The first course of antibiotics was zithromax, the second was keflex and now we're on omnicef. the other child had strep twice during this same time period. My husband and I both took 10 day course of keflex for preventative measures. It takes about a week after finishing antibiotics for her to test positive again. I don't think she's getting reinfected, I think we're not getting rid of it. Does anyone have any more insight. The last culture has been sent off for sensitivity analysis, so I'm hoping we're on the right meds this time. Will know tomorrow.

My twin boys had strep over and over for years. We even had our dog tested as a possible carrier. I got so good at diagnosing it, that the doctors would doubt me until the test came back positive. Their breath would have a certain odor, they would start acting really strange. Look up PANDAS. It is a condition caused by strep.
Make sure you wash all of your dishes in the dishwasher. I also use a steam cleaner on surfaces around the house. Get rid of their toothbrushes, buy cheap ones from the dollar store and change them all the time. You definitely can't take them off antibiotics, but you can bolster their immunity and give them a clean diet. No sugar, no dairy, plenty of homemade chicken broth and vegetables. They should also take the probiotics, and perhaps a cleansing tea. My kids would also gargle with a little grapefruit seed extract mixed with water (it tastes awful, and if it isn't mixed with water is burns!). I would also have them swallow grapefruit seed extract capsules.
I am happy to say they have seemed to grow out of it, but I suspect in my boys' case it may have longterm effects (again see PANDAS).
Best of luck.

all the aches and pains associated with strep and also being very tired point to Mono for sure. I had strep which turned into mono. My boyfriend had strep with mono and it went untreated and actually caused seizures. so get your children tested for mono if they haven't already. The mono itsself can't be treated, but there are other treatments to relieve the pain, and also it;'s necessary to have mono diagnosed because contrary to popular belief, you can be reinfected with it.

Have the physicians also checked for the possibility that your child might also have contracted mononucleosis. Though the symptoms overall aren't indicative of mono, with the notable exception, however, of the increased need for sleep.

Best of luck!

Don't forget to get new tooth brushes!!!! The strep can hang out on them and re-infect your child. My daughter also battles strep and has been for for over a year. She has had positive strep tests aprox. 9 times in the past year or so. We too are at wits end. We have not removed the tonsils yet but are thinking about it seriously now, even though the doctor said it would't make a difference.

That's a very good point to make. I think that definitely can cause a reinfection. Where do you live by the way? I am trying to figure out how someone could get strep so often! I imagine you live in a crowded area at least.

I have had strep 5 times in the past 9 months and I am 24 years old, I am not exposed to it and so am starting to think that the antibiotics are just allowing it to lay dormant in my system and once they are all flushed out, It comes back. I have not had strep since i was 13 years old, but all of a sudden this year I keep getting it continuously & I don't know why, even the doctors are baffled. The back pain is an early sign and if its constant it may be that the infection isn't really going away at all but just dying down some, the way I know I'm usually getting it, is my back starts to hurt really bad, followed by nausea, then body aches, a severe headache, then my throat and glands swell up and I feel so bad I'm like a big baby in tears each time. I wish I could figure out what the problem is, I don't have the money to have tonsils removed as my insurance won't fully cover it.