I'm 17 and upon randomly surfing the web today (don't ask me what I was looking for as I have no idea), I discovered that it was the usual practice to wash under one's foreskin when bathing or showering. This worried me as I cannot ever remember retracting the foreskin of my penis so that the glans frenulum bit (is that what it's called?) has been exposed and washable, so to speak. It doesn't occur during masturbation or any other activity, so I'm really very confused. I got the impression that I have to retract the foreskin over the head of the penis to wash the area suitably but nobody has ever told me that this is what I have to do! I smell some faint odours emanating from that region from time to time but I just assume that this is normal, as I have never been told otherwise. In fact, I remember hearing somewhere that urine cleans 'under the foreskin' anyway..

I know of the phenomenon that is smegma, and upon pulling back my foreskin as far as I could until I started to feel some discomfort, I noticed that there were one or two small white-yellow spots, which I proceeded to clean to what thought was an adequate extent.

Was that where I needed to clean? Is that 'under the foreskin', or do I have to clean the exposed head of the penis, which I have never even previously contemplated doing before, indeed which I haven't even seen?!

I'm really quite concerned about this, as it is something that never even occurred to me before a few hours ago and has been portrayed by many an Internet article as the most natural thing in the world.

Is it what everyone has to do? It's never even crossed my mind before, and I'm worried about whether I've been incredibly naive for all these adolescent years. Thanks.

The head or 'glans' of the penis does need to be cleaned, preferably on a daily basis. The foreskin should be pulled back to expose the entire glans. If you have tried to do this and your foreskin is too tight then you need to stretch it carefully. The way to do this is, in the shower, pull back the foreskin as far as you can without causing discomfort. If you can see the lip of the glans and a little of the shaft then you are probably ok. If you cannot see the lip of the glans then you need to pull it back a little further being carefull not to cause too much discomfort. Do this a couple times a day being sure to clean the glans and foreskin every time and within a week or two you will notice that the foreskin will pull back to expose the entire glans.

i pulled the foreskin back everyday but stopped for a while, i did it today and i cant get the foreskin back again. what should i do?

If you can't get your foreskin back over the head of your penis, you need to go to the ER. It is a condition called paraphimosis and can lead to some serious complications if the blood flow to the tip of the penis is cut off.

Try squeezing the head while moving the foreskin, you may be able to work it back.

Good luck.

If you had no problems in the past, just stay as you are. ..and when you have sex, it feels much better if you have a lot smegma down there, for you AND the girl..

Johnnyboy:

Most, but not all, guys have foreskins that retract all of the way behind the head. The instructions are intended for guys with retractable foreskins. Thoso instructions do not apply to you because your foreskin does not retract.

If you want to clean out under your foreskin, get an ear syringe, which is a rubber bulb. Suck up lukewarm water in the ear syringe and squirt it into your foreskin. This will clean it out.

But please do not worry excessively about this. It is not a big deal.

Hi Johnnyboy:

It is really easy to painlessly clean out your foreskin without retracting it. Here are two ways:

1. Urine is a sterile substance when it leaves the body so it is an excellent washing agent. Pinch the tip of your foreskin shut when you pee. Let the urine fill up your foreskin. You will see your foreskin balloon because of the urine inside. Then release the tip and all of the urine inside your foreskin will come gushing out and clean out whatever is inside. This is best done in the shower as it tends to be messy.

or

2. Get a rubber bulb ear syringe from a drug store, pharmacy, or chemist’s shop. These are designed to squirt warm water into ear canals to clean them out. They also work great for cleaning out foreskins. Fill the ear syringe with warm (not hot) water and then insert the tip of the syringe into your foreskin. Then squeeze the bulb and a jet of warm water will squirt into your foreskin and clean out whatever is inside.

retract the foreskin and apply clortrimazole cream (available at any drugstore) twice per day. shower as usual. this is most likelt a yeast infection. very common in uncircumsized males. should clear in 4-5 days