I'm a 17 year old male and uncircumsised (as is the norm in Britain, I gather) and upon randomly surfing the web today (don't ask me what I was looking for as I have no idea), I discovered that it was the usual practice to wash under one's foreskin when bathing or showering. This worried me as I cannot ever remember retracting the foreskin of my penis so that the glans frenulum bit (is that what it's called?) has been exposed and washable, so to speak. It doesn't occur during masturbation or any other activity, so I'm really very confused. I have never had sex, so I have never been able to gauge the opinion of any other person about my penis either. I got the impression that I have to retract the foreskin over the head of the penis to wash the area suitably but nobody has ever told me that this is what I have to do! I smell some faint odours emanating from that region from time to time but I just assume that this is normal, as I have never been told otherwise. In fact, I remember hearing somewhere that urine cleans 'under the foreskin' anyway..

I know of the phenomenon that is smegma, and upon pulling back my foreskin as far as I could until I started to feel some discomfort, I noticed that there were one or two small white-yellow spots, which I proceeded to clean to what thought was an adequate extent.

Was that where I needed to clean? Is that 'under the foreskin' enough, or do I have to clean the exposed head of the penis, which I have never even previously contemplated doing before, indeed which I haven't even seen?!

I'm really quite concerned about this, as it is something that never even occurred to me before a few hours ago and has been portrayed by many an Internet article as the most natural thing in the world. I very rarely, if ever, experience any discomfort of the penis (only of the testicles from wearing my jeans too tight) so I have never contemplated that I was doing anything wrong.

Is it what everyone has to do? It's never even crossed my mind before, and I'm worried about whether I've been incredibly naive for all these adolescent years. I'm not an unintelligent person, so I was surprised that something so significant could have passed me by. Also, I have no idea whether this is anything to do with 'Phimosis', all I know is that I have never seen the exposed frenulum(?) of my penis and was wondering if this was normal or cause for concern. Thanks.

i'm 19 (even worse lol) and i've just found this out a few hours ago aswell, pulling the forskin back over the head and washing the head just....it makes me cringe thinking about it, i've never did it before, do you scrub it with a scrubbing brush or something lol, when i'm not erect my foreskin covers all of my head and a little bit further, is this normal?

Just retract the foreskin as far as it goes (not so it hurts) and if there's anything there just wash it away with a little bit of soap. Make sure you rinse off properly because the soap will dry out your skin down there. You don't need a scrub it or anything, just wash it gently like you would say your face. Also, there may not be anything to wash away so don't think if it looks clean you are doing it wrong ;-)

Apparently to some degree an uncircumcised young boy often gets along fine without washing under the foreskin. Some have a degree of phimosis and the foreskin may even be impossible tto retract.

My foreskin was retracted by a parent when I was probably 6 or so and the glans was washed. There was some white crud there that was removed. It hurt a little, probably mostly just being the first exposure.

It was not suggested to me that I should wash and I didn't. In another 6 years hormonal increases caused me to explore the area more and I did retract the foreskin when showering.

I was never introduced to the idea of retracting to urinate and did not do so.

Soon after age of 12 i happened to read of the possibility of wearing the foreskin retracted and accomplished this. You have to be careful that if you get a swelling of the foreskin when retracted to get it back forward and retry the process later.

i wore my foreskin retracted for 30 years and then had a circ. I had some improvement in sexual sensuousness from having no foreskin bunch to reduces the direct contact to the glans

Yes at age 13-14 I had it the same way. no one ever said to clean it. I found that every day i would be in the bathroom pulling it back as far as i could and cleaning what i could (white crusty stuff prob died cum) Then one day i was able to pull all the way back and i was able to clean it out. Just keep pulling your foreskin back till your able to do it

This is good advice!
I knew that it must be cleaned but I'd been trying to figure out how to properly clean it. I, too, experience the smegma - is that right? which is not nice. It occurred to me when one day I smelt a foul odor coming from "down there" and when I got the courage to try and pull it all the way back, I found a load of lovely "gunk" which I was then able to clean up and smelled lovely and fresh afterward!

Thanks guys! :-)

if you cant pull your foreskin all the way over just pull as far back as you cant and strech it slowly do it while either like in the bath/shower and it will eventually strench further so dont worry and the cord that ataches the foreskin doesnt have to be snap remember to start it with out a erection then go on and do it erect because a strechy foreskin is good in sex makes it not hurt if pulled back

I am 14 and i have never heard that i need to wash under foreskin, and I am a bit scared. I started pulling my foreskin back when i was 13.
1) How hot water should be? And what is better, shower or bath?
2) Will it hurt? Once when i accidentally lightly touched myself under foreskin it hurt.
3) Can i get some kind of infection by using water or soap ( is there any specific kind of water or soap i should use)?
3) I can't pull my foreskin even half way back because it hurts.
4) I've got something white on the left side under my foreskin.
5) If i can't pull my foreskin all the way back, does it mean that i have short phimosis ( i found that in dictionary) and it may brake?
6) I can't remember when last time i came to urologist (last time could have been when i was 4) Do i need to see him? I would not like to see him, not because i am shy (maybe a bit) but i don't want to hear anything bad, i am scared of pain and i can't speak English very well.
7) If i would need operation, could doctors make me sleep or something like that, or would i get anesthetic injection? I hate pain and injections especially in these places.

Please answer me. :-( :-(

sorry if i posted it twice but my message didn't appear

Please answer me. :-( :-(

Yes, you're about the age when you should start washing regularly under your foreskin and around your glans. It really isn't necessary in childhood, though not harmful if a boy is able to naturally retract early, but from puberty onward it's a good idea to do this whenever you shower. Start gently at first. Soap is not a good idea on any mucosal tissue, including your mouth, inside your eyelids or under the foreskin, but clean warm water is ideal for the tip of the penis. You (and others here) are definitely not alone. More and more materials are being produced to help address this issue. Do an online search for "a field guide to the modern uncircumcised male" or any page about foreskin washing and you'll get detailed advice.

Nothing you've asked suggests you need an operation, or that you're abnormal in any way. Foreskins may resist retraction at first either because the opening is tight (there's some muscle tissue there that needs to be "exercised" and loosened up) or because you have frenulum breve (breve=brief=short). A small percentage of guys have a naturally short frenulum, the natural band of skin under the head that helps keep your foreskin forward and carry blood to the head. There is nothing wrong with either a snug foreskin or frenulum breve (pronounced "fren-you-lum breh-vay"); both can be gently worked on a bit until they get accustomed to being stretched. Severe cases of f.b. are rare and can be helped with a small nick a doctor does called a frenuplasty.

Good luck! Start now and next year you'll smile at how simple and normal this all turns out to be.

1) If you sit in a tub of warm water for a while to soak it, it may make the foreskin easier to stretch for retracting it. I did mine in the shower.

2) The glans is sensitive to the touch because it has been hiding inside your foreskin all it's life. That's normal and the sensitivity can be reduced over time by baring it and allowing it come in contact with the world of underwear ---- or your fingers.

3) If you can pull it back a little, you can pull it back more. Just keep trying. The foreskin is just skin and it will stretch if you keep trying to stretch it. Just think of those pictures of tribes that insert Frisbees in their lower lips ---- skin WILL stretch. Your foreskin only needs to stretch a little to be able to roll back over the head.

4) Probably smegma, see if it will come off with water and a little rubbing.

5) Don't read too many medical things, they'll scare you with all kinds of stuff you most likely DON'T have. If you can't pull it all the way back it only means that you are like many other males your age. Your penis won't break and if the skin tears a bit it will heal just like the skin any where else does.

From birth, my mother always pulled mine back to clean under it, so I was always able to pull it all the way back. The only thing I experienced was it being tight if it got caught behind the head during an erection, when I got older. I didn't do anything about that until after I got married and I decided I wanted to be able to enjoy the pleasure of a foreskin that moved comfortably during sex. I stretched it by inserting two fingers in the end and spreading them for several minutes each time I took a shower. Finally I got up to where I was able to get three fingers in the end and that was enough so it would pull back comfortably. I don't remember how long that took. It may have been close to a year.

Bambi has a very good stretching description here:

https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/cant-pull-foreskin-back-at-13&highlight=

It is completely normal for the head of your penis to "hurt" the first time you pull the foreskin back. This is completely normal...gently pull it back as far as it will go without causing pain...you will be able to pull it back further the more you do this....and rinse the head with warm water...DO NOT USE SOAP!!! soap will dry out the head and may cause infection. If you pull back and rinse daily the build up of smegma will disappear along with the smell.

im 17 and pulled my foreskin back for the first time in the bath just before, there was smegma with fluff in it under the rim of the head, i got it all cleaned of, what a relief.

im 14 and have a problem with my foreksin %-) everytime i got to was under there i feel i cant pull it all the way back and when i try to touch it to clean it, it feels very uncompfortable and very sensitive. i was just wonder if i was doin anything wrong while washing. also i have some white stuff at the bottom of the head, would anyone happen to know what this is and how to clear it?

many thanks =)

That all sounds very normal. I compare the sensitivity to what the skin under your fingernail feels like after you rip off a nail. the more you touch it the less it hurts.
Just don't use soap on it. Rinse it with water and get as much of that white stuff out as you can. After a while you will be able to get it all but don't hurt yourself trying. It wont hurt to leave some under there if you can't get it all the first time.