Hello, I am a 25 year old Indian (i posted the nationality, because its common among Indians to not have sex at my age), I never retracted my foreskin as i was never told by anyone that it was 
necessary and i am not sure if my foreskin was retracted regularly when i was an infant. Because of this smegma is accumulated under the foreskin, i tried to remove as much smegma as possible. I think i have phimosis (although i am not sure of this, it a self conclusion after reading few articles ) because i cant seem to retract the foreskin completely of the head of my penis, i could only retract the foreskin for about 20% of the head of the penis, and  there seem to be some smegma accumulated on the right side of my head of the penis where its attached to the foreskin which isn't visible but feels like smegma, how can i remove it. I have never removed smegma before today because of lack of knowledge that it was supposed to be removed.

Is this normal or should i be worried.

I have never mastubarated and never had sex. i repeatedly have wet dreams.

Will this affect my future sex life in anyway. I hope my problems posted will be answered by an expert. Thanks in advance...

At 25 you never notices any smell? Usually when a foreskin isn't cleaned even for a week or so there is an odor. I'm not a trained medical person, but I would take a small cup or bowl,very clean ,and put in Hydrogen Peroxide, it is a disinfectant. Put the head of your penis in this and it should foam some, and kill any bacteria, and also help disolve the area you are saying is stuck. Are you a native american or from India? It seems strange that boys would go through puberty and not at least masturbate. Is this part of your religion? Normaly the skin would be pulled back and washed when ever you bathed.

Thanks for replying, well I have noticed smell when I get up from sleep which i conclude that its from wet dreams that I had during the night, all I do is wash the outer skin of my penis by dipping in water. I do this only when I have wet dreams which is like once a week. Surely will use your advice of using Hydrogen Peroxide to clean the foreskin.

I am n native Indian residing in India, i dont think its part of my religion, i just dont like to use my hand making the jerking motion on my penis (I feel that its disgusting), all i do touch my penis while fantasizing etc but never cum during this.

What you are experiencing sounds like just a normal buildup of smegma. Even if you do not masturbate, it is really important to clean the area to prevent infection. You may have to work at gently pulling back the foreskin a little bit at a time to allow it to retract fully. If you find that this is extremely painful, you may want to see a doctor for advice to prevent problems with sex later on. You can help to keep the penis clean and healthy with a penis vitamin creme (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil). Conditioning your skin with natural emollients and vitamins may help to retract the foreskin more easily.

Good luck to you!
Michael, PhD

Hi there,

Ive been reading these blogs with great interest lately as I developed this issue a few months ago.

I am 39 years old, fit, healthy, clean & have no known reason why this suddenly affected me except my age perhaps...

I also have moved to a more tropical climate as well though which may make it worse? I dont know...

Anyway... I feel obligated to let you in on something I discovered by pure accident really. And I would be very interested to know from others if it works for them too. As soon as I noticed this smegma, I was quite self conscious about it. Im very clean & I shower twice a day anyway but, for obvious reasons I started to wear condoms (is a good practice anyway) I am in a long term relationship but, just wanted to take the added precaution of protecting my girlfriend.

After doing this for a just a few days, the smegma cleared up & is completely gone! I dont know if this is just me or its something in the spermacide? I dont know if this will even work for others... Im just saying that it has worked for me & I cant really explain exactly why except it went away after I began wearing condoms.

Im not going to do a plug here for any company (rhymes with Purex)

I dont know if its the specific kind either (rhymes with 'leasure-tax') I just wanted to put it out there as I didnt like this issue & felt others may benifit from what I discovered.

Hope this helps someone out there. Thanks CS

Hi ABD2287:

You say that the head of your penis is attached to your foreskin on the right side. This sounds like an adhesion that needs to be broken (lysed). That adhesion is probably keeping your foreskin from retracting and is making it impossible to clean out the smegma.

Baby boys are born with the inner layer of the foreskin fused with the surface of the underlying glans penis. This is natural and normal. Over some years the fusion spontaneously disintegrates and releases the inner foreskin. This usually happens prior to puberty, but not always.

Apparently, your foreskin has not yet released, although it probably is about ready to release due to your age. You can try pulling the foreskin away from the glans penis to see if you can break the remaining fusion. Do it carefully and little by little. It may take you several tries to get it all.

When you tear the foreskin away, the head will be red in color, where the separation occurred, for a while.

If you can’t get it to separate by pulling on it, a urologist can help you. It is called “lysing”.

It is really easy to clean your foreskin without retracting it. Here are two ways:

1. Pinch the tip of your foreskin shut when you pee. Let the pee fill up your foreskin. You will see your foreskin balloon because of the pee inside. Then release the tip and all of the pee inside your foreskin will come gushing out and clean out whatever is inside.

2. Get a rubber bulb ear syringe from a drug store, pharmacy, or chemist’s shop. These are designed to squirt warm water into ear canals to clean them out. They also work great for cleaning out foreskins. Fill the ear syringe with warm (not hot) water and then insert the tip of the syringe into your foreskin. Then squeeze the bulb and a jet of warm water will squirt into your foreskin and clean out what even is inside.

If the wet dreams bother you, then you should masturbate to orgasm and ejaculation each night before you go to sleep. That will stop the wet dreams.

You are blessed with an erogenous, highly-innervated foreskin. Many guys would envy your foreskin even though it does not retract. You display great wisdom in wanting to avoid circumcision. Do not be worried. You are normal for your age.

Smegma is a natural, normal, harmless, and healthy substance. It is a mixture of exfoliated skin and skin oils. Smegma does NOT cause cancer.

Smegma collects under the foreskin. It is normally white in color. Some people believe that smegma resembles cream cheese.

It won’t hurt if it stays there for a while, but it can get irritating if it stays for a long time without being washed away, so it is good practice to wash the smegma away once in a while.

Since smegma is composed of exfoliated skin and skin exfoliation occurs continuously, smegma is continuously forming. You may expect to see more every day.

Accumulated smegma may get hardened and difficult to remove if it stays a long time such as under a foreskin that is not retracted. Olive oil has been recommended for softening and removing hardened smegma.

It is really easy to painlessly clean out your foreskin without retracting it. Here are two ways:

1. Urine is a sterile substance when it leaves the body so it is an excellent washing agent. Pinch the tip of your foreskin shut when you pee. Let the urine fill up your foreskin. You will see your foreskin balloon because of the urine inside. Then release the tip and all of the urine inside your foreskin will come gushing out and clean out whatever is inside. This is best done in the shower or out of doors as it tends to be messy. Do that as often as you can.

or

2. Get a rubber bulb ear syringe from a drug store, pharmacy, or chemist’s shop. These are designed to squirt warm water into ear canals to clean them out. They also work great for cleaning out foreskins. Fill the ear syringe with warm (not hot) water and then insert the tip of the syringe into your foreskin. Then squeeze the bulb and a jet of warm water will squirt into your foreskin and clean out whatever is inside. This can be done over the bathroom washbasin.

Don’t use soap, body wash, or shampoo inside your foreskin because soap dries out the skin oils essential for good health and the others contain chemicals.

If your foreskin is dry, you can try putting some Jergen’s hand lotion on it.

Almost all boys are born with a foreskin that does not retract. This is normal. It takes years for the ability to retract to develop. About ½ of boys have a retractable foreskin by 10.4 years of age. Many adolescents still have foreskins that have tips that are too narrow to pass back over the penis head. These foreskins may be gently stretched over a period of time to cause them to widen.

It is normal for teens to have a foreskin that does not retract. One’s foreskin is still developing. If you want your foreskin to retract (not everyone wants a retractable foreskin), then you can help it develop ability to retract by stretching it.

If you choose to stretch your foreskin, then the goal is to have a foreskin that glides smoothly back and forth so as to provide maximum pleasure.

When your penis is erect, gently pull your foreskin back against the head of the penis. As the head attempts to pass through the foreskin it will stretch the skin a little. Do this several times a day and in a few weeks or months your foreskin will widen and you will be able to retract your foreskin. Do NOT force retraction. Do NOT cause yourself pain.

It works by tissue expansion. Stretching skin induces “mitosis” which is a word that means “division of cells”. New skin cells are formed and the skin expands but it takes some time. The increase in size is permanent. Be patient and give mitosis time to work.

The important thing is to put the skin under tension every day so that it will grow wider.

Search the Internet for:

“How to Fix Phimosis and Tight Foreskins, Solutions That Work”

and you will find the information and support you need.

If you are having trouble with smegma (a ton of guys do) you should consider using a penis health creme every day.  A good creme will contain Vitamin A, which will destroy the odor-causing bacteria found in smegma.  A creme, in addition to good daily hygiene, will help you manage your smegma better in the future.  Hope this helps.