I've tried getting answers to this question from two different websites and haven't had much luck. Okay, so on April 10 my boyfriend and I engaged in intercourse, and I have a strong gut feeling I may be pregnant. It was extremely unplanned; we've been together for 2.5 years. I was on birth control but I took it at a different time than usual the day before, and we didn't use a condom. I've been experiencing symptoms that I'm pretty sure are pregnancy symptoms, but I'm still a bit confused.

1. Slight nausea in the mornings after eating something/drinking water (weird).
  2. I've been experiencing fatigue in the afternoon (more than usual).
  3. Have had more trips to the bathroom.
  4. My breasts have been slightly sore but not much.
  5. Heartburn and constipation.
  6. Heat flashes? I heard you could get heat flashes during pregnancy but I'm not sure. I've experienced it though.
  7. Lower back pain.
  8. MAJOR food aversions as well as high/no appetite.
  9. Slight headache although they don't last very long.
  10. Spotting (implantation bleeding?).

The thing I'm really confused about is the spotting. At first I thought it was my period but it wasn't heavy at all. It was a deep red to begin with but wasn't really a flow, and it only lasted 2 days. Yesterday it was a light red/light pink and I only saw it when I used the restroom. Today, if anything, it's a very light brown and I rarely see it. I've read something about implantation bleeding but I'm still skeptical. I didn't get any period symptoms but I normally don't anyway, and my period is rather irregular to begin with so I wouldn't know when I get it. I calculated my ovulation time though, and it's usually between the 5-10 days in the month. Also, if I had super easy access to a pregnancy test I'd be doing that instead of this right now, but I don't. Could I be pregnant or am I thinking too much about it?

Please provide some more information.

1. What dates did your last 4 periods start?
  2. When is/was the next period due?
  3. What birth control pill do you take?
  4. What times do you usually take the pill?
  5. What time did you take the pill on the day before (9th)
  6. Did he ejaculate inside you on 10th?
  7. How old are you?

1. I said my periods are very irregular and sometimes, they don't even come for 1 month or 2. That's why I'm on birth control - to make my periods regular.
2. I don't know.
3. I take Pimtrea which is odd but I normally take Kariva. I don't know why they changed it.
4. I usually take the pill early in the morning, around 7 A.M.
5. I took the pill that night.
6. He did not.
7. I'm 16. Really embarassing to say and that's why I didn't include it.

Hi there,

About your irregular periods. How long have you been on birth control for? If you have been on birth control for 2 or more months now, your periods should be completely regular by now. (They should come during your placebo pills). 

If you took your birth control pill a few hours late, then you were still protected when you had sex. However, if you skipped a whole day, then you weren't as protected as you'd normally be.

As far as your period goes, when after sex did you get it? 

How far are you in your birth control pack? 

So here's what i would suggest. If you had sex towards the begining of your pack, wait until 3 weeks into your pack to take a pregnancy test. If you had sex in the middle of your pack, wait until three weeks from them to test. And if you had sex at the very end of your pack, then test three weeks after that.

Really, a woman should test for pregnancy two weeks after their missed period or period if they feel it may not have been a period. But since you don't know if it's a period and since your periods are irregular the best thing to do is take a pregnancy test 19 days after you had sex. 

Which for you would be in two days (the 29th). That is the general rule if you don't know when your period will be. 

Yes, I know you don't want to test - but you cannot know if you are pregnant based off of symptoms, or lack of symptoms. Some ladies swear they are pregnant off of symptoms, and they find out they are not pregnant, while some ladies don't have any symptoms only to find they are pregnant.

So if you test 19 days after sex and it is negative, I would suggest testing on the 8th of may or the 15th of may, and to be extra sure, one week after the 15th of may. By then it will have been 6 weeks after sex - a pregnancy test should def show up by then.

I have been using clearblue digita, but I read that first reponse may be better.

Let us know how it goes,

Best wishes!

Thanks. From what you have said is highly unlikely you would be pregnant. Kariva is brand name for Pimtrea, so it is essentially the same. Although you took it late, as it was just the one error, you should be OK. You would be adequately protected against pregnancy. I assume it was one of the 21 active pills you took late.
Each pack of 28 represents a typical cycle. Which number pill was late?
The pill affords no protection against STI's. How often do you have sex?
If you want to talk more about this, but are too embarrassed, then you can private message.me. Are there any religious or cultural implications?
I get the impression there are other concerns; don't be afraid to ask.
I hope this helps as a start.

This is the exact answer I was looking for. Thank you so much for your help. Back to the questions, I've been on birth control for 1-2 years now and for some reason, a reason I don't know, they changed the brand I use last time I got a new pack. My periods haven't been regular for a long time, even with the pills. What I'm nervous about is I'm not 100% sure when I took that pill or how late I took it. It could have easily been a whole day because I remember being nervous. I got my period (if it was a period although it wasn't like one) exactly 3 days ago and exactly 2 weeks after sex. I'll try and get some tests to test within the next few weeks but I'm not sure how. I'm young and I don't know if I can get them, especially with my parents being a problem. If I am pregnant I don't want them to know unless I really know.

Again, thank you so much.

Thank you. However, I remember messing up on a pill that week but I honestly don't remember. I just remember feeling nervous. It may have been number 18 but I can't be sure, I usually put my pills in a pill box. I don't have sex really often. I haven't since the 10th. Thank you so much for responding, you've helped a lot.

What is concerning me now is that you say "I usually put my pills in a pill box". There are 28 pills in a pack. The first 21 are active estrogen and progestin pills. The next 2 are reminder pills with no medication and the next 5 pills have a low dose of estrogen. So how do you ensure you are taking the right ones? If you have not been taking them on the right days, that might explain why you are not regular, and you also might well not be protected.

They're in order, I promise. But it did catch my attention when you said taking them on the right days. Sometimes if I finish a pack I have to wait 2 or 3 days for a new one and that freaks me out, so when I get a new one I start right away. Even if I'm not supposed to until "Sunday" or a different day. All I know is that I don't feel right anymore and I was really surprised when I thought I got my period because it's pretty normal not to see it. But normally my periods are heavy and I have to have tampons, but I didn't this time and the colors were off. It's just a big mess and I really wish I knew the small details, like when my period is and when I took that pill.

As you had sex on Day 18 (or thereabouts) you are probably covered. When was the previous time you had sex?
You need to acquire your pills in advance. If you don't take them consecutively you will probably not get your cycle settled down. Also you a less likely to protected against conception.
The pills are hormone pills, and you may well be reacting to the random hormone levels.
You must keep a record of your period start dates, and also when the pill regime is altered for whatever reason. If you miss a pill, you must take it as soon as possible, even if it means taking two at once. If you miss two, you are unlikely to be properly protected (read the leaflet).

Maybe like a month before? Also, I stopped the pill last Thursday. I don't know why. I remember having symptoms before stopping it though, but I know how stopping birth control can make you have symptoms similar to pregnancy symptoms. I also read that it takes a while to get back to normal ovulation. Is that true?

If the last time was a month ago, you are well past the time for that to now be a pregnancy concern. You shouldn't just stop taking the pills. Otherwise you will no longer be protected against pregnancy and you certainly will not regularise your periods.

"I also read that it takes a while to get back to normal ovulation. Is that true?" Yes, it can be the case, but that is irrelevant here. That is relevant when a woman stops taking the pill in order to get pregnant, or to see if the pill has regularised the cycle. But

1. You never had regular periods, so you never had regular ovulation
  2. When on the pill, you do not usually ovulate. The pill aims to prevent ovulation, prevent fertilisation if ovulation were to occur, and then prevent implantation if fertilisation were to occur. You have a period because the hormones trick the body regarding ovulation.
  3. You have been taking the pill somewhat randomly. You are now scarcely protected regarding conception, and you have not helped your cycle regularisation.

You now need to start again, and keep strictly to the regime.

I hope this helps.

It did, thank you, but now I'm worried. Could pregnancy still be an issue since I don't know when I was ovulating or how well the pill worked?

I really don't think so. I can't be 100% certain because whenever you have sex there is the possibility of pregnancy. However the period you had is a very strong indication that you are not pregnant, and the risk was very low anyway. Also, any embryo is likely to have been discharged with your period flow

If you are really concerned, a test taken on 1st May should prove conclusive. But I would be extremely surprised if you were pregnant.

hi I have a question. I take pimtrea, took all of my active pills but forgot to take the last green pill in the pack. am I still protected?