Nearly 6 weeks ago i had unprotected sex with my partner, it happened 3 times from saturday till monday morning. I was not on the pill and took the morning after pill on the tuesday evening. i got my period a week and a half later, well it was a few days late, short and very light which is not normal. I thought nothing of it at all. Nearly 2 weeks ago i had unprotected sex again but did not take the morning after pill as i had started the pill at the beginning of my last period. I was then told that the pill doesnt work for the first month. My period is now 4 days late and i am feeling really tired and sick. I went to the doctor and she sent away a pee sample but it cam back negative. I feel different but dont no what is wrong. Can anyone please help????

Hi Steph,

The morning after pill, taken within 72 hours, is very effective at preventing pregnancy

When you said that you "started the pill at the beginning of my last period" do you mean daily birth control?  If so, then most are effective after about 7 days of use.  Birth control can alter your cycle a bit.

Emergency contraceptives can make your period early or late and heavier or lighter than normal.  What you saw a week and a half after taking the pill AND being late now are NORMAL side effects.  It can take several cycles for you to get back to "normal."

Hope it helps.

Ya that does help cause i do not feel right at all and im freaking out that i could still be pregnant even though i only took one test and it was negative.

i have a question for you all. i had unprotected sex 3 weeks ago and it was a few days after my period went off. I did it 3 different days after my period went off and my ovulation calender said i was very fertile. i have been feeling really tired and sick like i have to vomit all day everyday but i cant. i eat alot more and i have been having a white milky like discharge. could i be pregnant and can i know this soon? my period is not due for another week.

Hi Booker,

Your symptoms are not specific to pregnancy. It would be early to have ANY symptoms.

You can test now, 3 weeks after sex, just be sure to use your first morning urine, wake up urine. It is more concentrated so it would be more likely to give an accurate result.

If you are pregnant you may also notice some very light spotting this week.

Good luck.

The morning after pill can have lots of weird side effects, I know when my friend took it her periods didn't return to normal for ages, so it could be that? Good Luck :)